Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
For those funsters contemplating the trip to Lundy this year, this is your transport. The Oldenburg is the supply ship that services Lundy. (Photo taken from my bedroom window). Then again it could be the white slave ship off to the colonies, hee hee

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
I went camping on lundy island when i was a scout, i really liked the place and have great memories of my time there
When i come down to your place this this week i might just see about spending a day over there
pete

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
Lundy - fascinating place and I discovered I had an ancestor who was a tenant smallholder there in the 1800's - poor sod: it must have been hard scratching a living on that windswept isle! I enjoyed the research; the public records are in the pub - just ask for the key to the cabinet when you order your pint!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The walled garden is actually very productive the island produces nearly all of the food required by the residents.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Well I never knew this place was there. Told Ralph, he's listed it as a place to visit. :thumb:

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Last time I was there the sheep were blowing by in the wind :Eeek:

The crossing was interesting, one or two people were a bit poorly :winky:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Lundy Island or Puffin Island is off the North Devon Coast, the boat runs from Ilfracombe or Bideford depending on the tides. It has a rich history of pirates, slave traders wreckers etc. Once had its own coinage, even I can remember pennies with a puffin on the back. The seas surrounding the island form Britains first marine wildlife preserve. Surprisingly for such a small island it has its own unique breed of pony. The entire place is a massive draw to naturalists.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
would love to visit the island, how easy is it getting on and off the boat if you're a very 'wobbly' person, and guessing it won't be easy on the island with a manual wheelchair self propelling, and as i haven't got strong arms like a weightlifter anymore..................
wishing that i'd visited when i lived in devon many years ago and was younger and fitter..
if it's do-able, shall put my name down for it..

love the view from your window wildman..

Last edited:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
When I was last in Padstow I took the boat trip out to Puffin Island. It was terrific to see the Puffins flying about.

I was a bit disappointed with Shag Island though.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
When the Church roof got damaged in a storm, (pre NT days) the Islanders couldn't afford to repair it, so they sold the bells to raise the money needed.

The R E M E fellas (Teddybard's Unit) at Fremington Camp organised taking down the bells and getting them down the track to the Oggan.
18Coy R A S C AMPHIB. transported them to Instow on board Dukws.

The whole shebang was used as a training exercise:thumb:

OP
OP
W

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
would love to visit the island, how easy is it getting on and off the boat if you're a very 'wobbly' person, and guessing it won't be easy on the island with a manual wheelchair self propelling, and as i haven't got strong arms like a weightlifter anymore..................
wishing that i'd visited when i lived in devon many years ago and was younger and fitter..
if it's do-able, shall put my name down for it..

love the view from your window wildman..
It is some years since I was over there but I think you disembark straight onto a pier, there is then a landrover that will get you up to the plateau. For peace of mind ask the people in the office prior to booking the number is in the rally thread. They are the ones with all the answers.

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
When we went over in 1996 there wasn't a pier and you had to get off the ship onto a small boat to be taken onto the island. Quite hairaising:Eeek: but like Wildman says I believe they now have a proper pier:Smile:
Really interesting place and being involved with horses it was lovely to see the Lundy ponies.:Smile:
Unfortunately we missed the puffins :Sad:

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
yay, phoned them this morning, what lovely and helpful people they are, had quite a laugh with the lady that i spoke to, seems that they can crane my powerchair onto and off the boat, no trouble she said as long as they've got a few days notice..:thumb:

didn't realise that they had ponies over there too, knew about the puffins and goats..

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back