Break into a van? easy surely! (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
With another thread right now about alarms and security it has reminded me how vulnerable motorhomes really are.

I have a Globecar PVC and it is fitted with Autowatch Class 1 alarm system. Apart from the whole 'does anyone take any notice of alarms' debate (I think most people don't) it occurs to me that to break into a motorhome must be easy!

A big screw driver under a side window………….insert……….rip open! Actually I think a window could just be ripped open by someone strong!

Cars do NOT have plastic windows (and of course some of the PCV's don't)…….mine does have plastic windows.

So dead locks, security straps across the doors, etc, will not stop someone just breaking in through a plastic window :whatthe::Eeek:

Now then, as to the alarm, I think a thief would consider his/her options…….. "how long before someone bothers to come and check what's happening?"………..This is my worry when leaving the van in a more isolated area.

When we go out we hide all the valuable stuff in so many different places I do sometimes forget where we put some of it! The idea of course to reduce how much stuff the thief can take before losing their nerve!

Somehow it just feels 'safer' when a few other vans are present (even if no ones in them:Blush:)

Am I the only one ? :Blush:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I'm not sure remoteness is necessarily a factor in probability. To some extent, being close to habitation increases the size of the pool of villains within easy reach.
A few years ago we were on the municipal campsite at Chinon for one night; it was quite crowded. Near us were two other British motorhomes; friends I think. They were all together in one van having a drink. Meanwhile, Monsieur le Robber broke into the other van through the shower room window, which is where the lady had left her handbag (out of sight).
The first we knew of this was when les Flicks arrived to interview the aggrieved parties.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
With another thread right now about alarms and security it has reminded me how vulnerable motorhomes really are.

I have a Globecar PVC and it is fitted with Autowatch Class 1 alarm system. Apart from the whole 'does anyone take any notice of alarms' debate (I think most people don't) it occurs to me that to break into a motorhome must be easy!

A big screw driver under a side window………….insert……….rip open! Actually I think a window could just be ripped open by someone strong!

Cars do NOT have plastic windows (and of course some of the PCV's don't)…….mine does have plastic windows.

So dead locks, security straps across the doors, etc, will not stop someone just breaking in through a plastic window :whatthe::Eeek:

Now then, as to the alarm, I think a thief would consider his/her options…….. "how long before someone bothers to come and check what's happening?"………..This is my worry when leaving the van in a more isolated area.

When we go out we hide all the valuable stuff in so many different places I do sometimes forget where we put some of it! The idea of course to reduce how much stuff the thief can take before losing their nerve!

Somehow it just feels 'safer' when a few other vans are present (even if no ones in them:Blush:)

Am I the only one ? :Blush:

I have said all this before, this is why I don't follow the gassing ( please don't start another thread from this:Doh:) and motorway robberies , why would anyone go to all the trouble of gassing you or letting your tyres down just to rob you while you are there when all they have got to do is wait till you gone out and rob everything you've got at their leisure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Is it easier to rip open a van window than to smash a glass window in a car? I'm not sure but guess probably about the same sort of effort.

Most security measures are deterrent rather than foolproof aren't they? The opportunist will go for the easiest target, one that is easiest to get into, so make it a bit more difficult and he will hopefully go elsewhere.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is it easier to rip open a van window than to smash a glass window in a car? I'm not sure but guess probably about the same sort of effort.

Most security measures are deterrent rather than foolproof aren't they? The opportunist will go for the easiest target, one that is easiest to get into, so make it a bit more difficult and he will hopefully go elsewhere.

My Dad was in the prison service and was told by one of the inmates that the thing that really put him off (apart from dogs) were slatted blinds - either the vertical type or venetians as they are a pain to get through and there is a risk of getting entangled. Alarms didn't bother him at all as most people ignore them and the monitored type have such a long response time he could be in and out and long gone. He wasn't inside for burglary but receiving.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I've often wondered if an intensely loud internal siren would be a better bet than the often ignored external variety. Some very loud ones (to the point of being literally painful) are available which might confuse / slow down / deter an intruder.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you knew just how easy it was to get into any vehicle, motorhome or car, you would probably worry more. a good friend of mine is a master locksmith who deals primarily with vehicles. especially lockouts and coding keys to the ecus and immobilisers. but the facts are you are more likely to be subject to theft from the vehicle than the vehicle itself.

secure any valuables in a lockable safe that is securely bolted down. the typical thief will be in and out inside 2 minutes having riffled through the usual hiding places. if they find a safe they will try and take it with them, as that is likely to be the most valuable items. but if after a few hard pulls it wont move, they will leave

i always chuckle when I see people saying they have fitted window locks to plastic windows. this just advertises that there is something of value you are protecting. it wont slow down even a casual thief, let alone organised gangs

there is considerable merit in the idea of fitting super loud sirens inside the van as well. make the thief uncomfortable and they wont hang about as long. however you will still be left with the damage of them breaking in

physical locks on caravan doors are likely to damage the door more when they are forced open with a flat ended bar. locks on cabs are just another thing slowing you from escaping in an emergency. clutch claw works well to stop a van being driven away, but removing a fuel pump relay does the same for free. if you want to fit a hidden switch to the pump, even better.

however most thefts of vans are currently carried out by towing it away

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I have always believed if it's on the thief's shopping list, then it will go, no matter what precautions you take and that's an end to it.

This applies to everything that can be stolen, not just vehicles.

You just have to live in hope that he doesn't want one of whatever it is!

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
As an ex firefighter, I can guarantee to be inside any vehicle within about 10 seconds, and all i would need is a small piece of metal about 3 to 4 inches long and very easily concealed. All you can do is make it as inconvenient, so they pick another easier target. Sorry to be so cheerful

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
I did consider one of those habitation external door locks, the large ones that fold across the door and lock. Then I thought that all that does is advertise from a considerable distance that no one is in the van when its across the door and that a break in through a window could be achieved.
Does anyone have one and give me some advice as to their usefulness or otherwise before I spend my hard earned money.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Park next to a bigger, newer, shinier, more expensive looking van...
[similar to the advice given about walking around town, don't look like a rich tourist, look poorer than the beggars & homeless - not a problem I gather for the majority of MHF'ers ::bigsmile: ]

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I did consider one of those habitation external door locks, the large ones that fold across the door and lock. Then I thought that all that does is advertise from a considerable distance that no one is in the van when its across the door and that a break in through a window could be achieved.
Does anyone have one and give me some advice as to their usefulness or otherwise before I spend my hard earned money.

I have one. It was on the MH when I got it. I only use it as a handy point to anchor the dogs lead. As you say it does advertise that the MH is unoccupied, something that otherwise you cannot easily see. I certainly wouldn't buy one.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i too have one fitted, as the previous owner put it on. really is useless as an anti theft device.

a friend of mine damaged one on his van when he returned from a night out and fell against the open handle as he missed the step. result was he bent the door frame making the door hard to close. the fix was a new door and frame, but he didnt have the handle refitted.

plus as you say its an advert that the van is unoccupied if locked across the door

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Some people do not realise that if their vehicle is left without the alarm system switched on, the insurance company may not be very happy.
I have a VanBitz Strickeback which works and I am happy with but the idea of a very loud alarm INSIDE the van is not a bad one, unless you are inside and unable to think how to turn it off, it is so loud.

Alan

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Some people do not realise that if their vehicle is left without the alarm system switched on, the insurance company may not be very happy.
I have a VanBitz Strickeback which works and I am happy with but the idea of a very loud alarm INSIDE the van is not a bad one, unless you are inside and unable to think how to turn it off, it is so loud.

Alan

Hi Alan, of curse our Growler systems have FIVE sirens, two of which are inside.:Eeek:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You can also get an alarm with a strobe type light (at least for inside the house) and they are VERY disorientating even when you know the layout. I don't know if they are available for vehicles (haven't looked). Not so good for epileptics of course.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Getting growler installed at van blitz in a couple of weeks, have chosen not to have the inside sirens as would be mortified if they went off when the dog was in. Just though, wonder if there is an isolator switch for the internal sirens, over to you Eddie?::bigsmile:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Getting growler installed at van blitz in a couple of weeks, have chosen not to have the inside sirens as would be mortified if they went off when the dog was in. Just though, wonder if there is an isolator switch for the internal sirens, over to you Eddie?::bigsmile:

Yes it is fitted as standard on Growler, so we don't kill our customers :ROFLMAO:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Park next to a bigger, newer, shinier, more expensive looking van...
[similar to the advice given about walking around town, don't look like a rich tourist, look poorer than the beggars & homeless - not a problem I gather for the majority of MHF'ers ::bigsmile: ]

Thats good advice, and suprising how many people walk around cities blinged up and advertising their wealth. When I go to Europe I seem to look so scruffy I am the last person people sit next to on the bus :roflmto:

I am still amazed at how many blokes keep their wallets in their back pockets, why not just have a big sign saying steal my wad:Doh:

I could get into my van with a medium sized screwdriver, so I just assume everything in it is nickable. I agree with not fitting a door guard, what is the point when the plastic windows are so vulnerable. I will maybe fit a safe and secure it it through the floor when I go away next time. I just hate the idea of drilling through that though, but everywhere else is made of such lightweight materials there is no point in fitting a safe to it:thumb:

Last edited:

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
How about gassing an intruder. Apparently two people can be overcome at the same time with some special knockout gas.

It is an option, I prefer the more extreme tactic of gassing and then clubbing to death, thereafter hanging the remains round the site perimiter to deter would be scum from thinking we are a light touch :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

seriously all you can do is be very careful in the way you leave your van and dont let it be an easy pick for someone.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
To reduce your chances of being robbed by 50% follow these simple steps.
1. Stay out of Barcelona
2. Stay out of Barcelona

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
To reduce your chances of being robbed by 50% follow these simple steps.
1. Stay out of Barcelona
2. Stay out of Barcelona

So, would 1. reduce by 50 % and then 2. by 50 % ? That would mean ZERO chance of being robbed :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back