Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I used to sleep really well in the MH but ever since the wife and I were burgled one night I haven't been able to get a decent nights kip since.
Over the last 6-8 months I have upped my security arrangements, to the point of 'thinking like a burgler' every time I park somewhere, and to be honest and as bad as it sounds, it can be anyone around me that gets 'done', its just not going to be me again. (not that I wish it on anyone but come on, lets be fair, some do ask for it sometimes).
I think i may have identified why I am still not able to sleep but am unsure what to do, bear with me on this.....
Wherever we go we have a trailer with car on tow, when we retire for the night I lay there for some time just listening for any little noises, rustling, twigs snapping or any little noises/thuds coming from the van or the trailer, then I might drift off if all is well.
Now heres the thing, if I imagine I heard a noise (or actually did) coming from behind, like from the trailer/car, there is nothing I can do to investigate other than literally get out of the van to look, because there are no windows in the back, so what tends to happen is I lay there all night waiting, obviously for nothing, but how would I know that!
I have thought about fitting a very small window in the back above the permanent bed but i just don't think it would look right. What do you guys think about a peep hole glass in the back wall similar to a house front door so that I can satisfy myself that nobody is there and hopefully get some sleep? Or are there other ways? :thumb:

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I used to sleep really well in the MH but ever since the wife and I were burgled one night I haven't been able to get a decent nights kip since.
Over the last 6-8 months I have upped my security arrangements, to the point of 'thinking like a burgler' every time I park somewhere, and to be honest and as bad as it sounds, it can be anyone around me that gets 'done', its just not going to be me again. (not that I wish it on anyone but come on, lets be fair, some do ask for it sometimes).
I think i may have identified why I am still not able to sleep but am unsure what to do, bear with me on this.....
Wherever we go we have a trailer with car on tow, when we retire for the night I lay there for some time just listening for any little noises, rustling, twigs snapping or any little noises/thuds coming from the van or the trailer, then I might drift off if all is well.
Now heres the thing, if I imagine I heard a noise (or actually did) coming from behind, like from the trailer/car, there is nothing I can do to investigate other than literally get out of the van to look, because there are no windows in the back, so what tends to happen is I lay there all night waiting, obviously for nothing, but how would I know that!
I have thought about fitting a very small window in the back above the permanent bed but i just don't think it would look right. What do you guys think about a peep hole glass in the back wall similar to a house front door so that I can satisfy myself that nobody is there and hopefully get some sleep? Or are there other ways? :thumb:

This may sound a bit too simple but couldn't you use the rear view camera?
I would hate to be in the position where I couldn't sleep in the MoHo. I always sleep better than at home. Good luck and here's wishing you a good nights sleep. :thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
This may sound a bit too simple but couldn't you use the rear view camera?
I would hate to be in the position where I couldn't sleep in the MoHo. I always sleep better than at home. Good luck and here's wishing you a good nights sleep. :thumb::thumb:
I did think of that but the downsides are that it is connected to the ignition, as is the nightime alarm activation so a bit of agro. Also if it were able to be on a seperate supply I would be tempted to just leave it on and watch it all night :ROFLMAO::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Really feel for you. Firstly, know that you are not paranoid. Once something like a burglary or any form of attack is brought into your life, you are bound to feel as you do now... you are not alone in that. Once you realise that then you can start to come to terms that these things do happen but that the chances of them happening to you again are still limited. ..... A peephole sounds good idea to me, but hopefully the day would come when you would find yourself not using it as much. Sorry not much help to you. Oh, except to say that when I was in a similar situation once, (not burgled but very scared) I had one of those locks that screams like mad if anyone so much as causes a vibration around it. They cost about ten pounds ... could be worth investing in.

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
we have a westie, dont need any alarms, she barks like nothing on earth if anybody comes past the MH. And she is very protective of my wife and I.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
A cheap reversing camera off Ebay sounds like a possible answer and much easier than fitting another window :thumb: some of them come with a lot of cable for trucks etc. You could fit the camera on the trailer ? and just connect everything at night and run the camera & screen off the 12V connector in the van ? you could just trail everything through a vent or make it semi permanent.

I have 4 cameras on my van (for driving & manouvering purposes) and they are often mistaken as security cameras :)

Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A cheap reversing camera off Ebay sounds like a possible answer and much easier than fitting another window :thumb: some of them come with a lot of cable for trucks etc. You could fit the camera on the trailer ? and just connect everything at night and run the camera & screen off the 12V connector in the van ? you could just trail everything through a vent or make it semi permanent.

I have 4 cameras on my van (for driving & manouvering purposes) and they are often mistaken as security cameras :)

Link Removed

and lay awake all night watching the screen :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I totally empathise with your problem, and can only tell you it WILL get better! :thumb:

I think your idea of a peep hole is a very good one so long as you don't use it too much and thus prevent yourself settling down to sleep! It would be good for those who don't have a problem in sleeping who don't have a back window so that a passenger could look out through it to see if there are any obstructions when parking etc without having to get out (assuming there's no reversing camera).

As for your 'sleep problem' - I was always a bit 'sensitive' to any noise in our MH, pretty much from the off but that's just how I was then, then we got 'bricked' in Holland on an aire (yes they do have some!) totally out of the blue, with lots of other MHs there and it was horrible ... all down the side of our Rimor was dinted, the large sliding window over the dinette was smashed to pieces and they had missed the washroom window 'glass' itself but caught the outer frame, there was a dint in the passenger door and they even managed to smash the side/corner of the bumper! I think we had 7 bricks thrown at us in total (these are the smaller Dutch ones about half the size as our UK bricks). It was the local youths up to 'mischief' (this happened at around 3.00 am on a Sunday which is the day/time they 'act up' apparently! Unfortunately as we were at the end of the aire ours was the one that got 'stuffed'! It certainly meant that my being 'sensitive' was now in 'hyper mode'!!! :Eeek:

Now, although we weren't burgled as you were and against which additional security measures can be taken to hopefully deter another intruder, what happened to us would have been extremely difficult to prevent it. However, I still do not sleep as well as my hubby who could sleep standing up, I am certainly a lot better than I was and have a routine that I follow which does help:
  • I have a cup of tea - yes I know caffeine isn't supposedly good at night, but for me I find it settles me down (you could use decaffeinated)
  • I do a puzzle book, again this is totally against what others would advise as it can make your brain too active, but I find that doing a puzzle or two (nothing too involved) actually stops me thinking about other things as I have to put some concentration into solving the puzzle. The trick is to know when to stop ... if you are starting to nod a bit don't be tempted to just do a little bit more of the puzzle, put it away
  • I then settle myself down nice and snug and do a few slow deep breaths, right down into my tummy, hold it for about half a second whilst tensing my muscles a bit, then let the breath out and release the tension in my muscles - as I do I can feel my body relaxing, I do this 3 or 4 times and by the end I am well settled.
It can still take me a bit of time to actually get off to sleep but this 'routine' certainly does help a lot. :thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A friend fitted reversing sensors that went off if anyone came within 3 feet of his van. One by the door and one at the rear should do the trick. They will only start beeping if someone comes near the van.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
::bigsmile:Im with John, At least htat way if your burgled you won't even know about it for days, you will just think that you cant remember where you parked the car

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
I think the idea of a camera at the back triggered if someone gets close is great. We have a big window in the back and if we are parked up not on a site I do find myself peeping out at night sometimes to check on the car/trailer is still there. When we had our alarm fitted we had a socket fitted at the back, we have a cable that we then feed through the bike wheels,car front wheel and trailer hitch. Once the alarm is activated if the wire is unplugged/cut the alarm goes of. Downside is that I may look out one morning and find a hitch 2 bike wheels and car wheel laying on the floor attached to the wire. I do where possible back the trailer up against wall/tree all makes it a little more of a deterrent. I'm sure the more time you spend away in the van the more comfortable you will become again. Shawn.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Have you thought of a battery operated wireless CCTV camera, pretty cheap and you should be able to connect to your PC or tablet. :Smile:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
A friend fitted reversing sensors that went off if anyone came within 3 feet of his van. One by the door and one at the rear should do the trick. They will only start beeping if someone comes near the van.

It should also be possible to fit some low power strip LEDS around the top of the van and connect these into the beep circit, so if people come too close the the LEDS come on.

or contect to a 12 volt water canon on the roof, or better still automaticly open your garage were you keep a lion thats not been feed for two weeks or even, no itsgetting silly now:Doh:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Being burgled is horrid. We had a break over 20 years ago in whilst OH was bathing the kids upstairs. He thought it was me coming in and shouted which put the intruders off and they ran. I was so traumatised we had to move.

My GP diagnosed a form of depression as a result and the treatment helped a lot.

All the sensible suggestions are brilliant. However a back window in a motorhome is often quite high - would it work? You can get alarms that bark like an angry dog .... I'd go for one of those.

Once you have the trip wires, and machine gunners are in place :winky:, I hope you manage to sleep.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Night

Before you go to bed leave outside you hab door a large dog bowl with water, a heavy chain dog lead and a large basket type muzzle.

If you were a thief what would you think, might you move on to the next van you see as an easier target, of course you would.:Smile:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Some sensible replies and some not so but can I ask were you actually in the MHo when you were burgled

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
how about a motion activated security light with a wireless buzzer to alert indoors. set it to only pick up very close by and it wont give false positives. best part is, that a light turning on will fool the thieves into thinking you have disturbed them

very simple and not too expensive. saw one in aldi a while back that was designed to warn if anyone came into your gate etc was under £20 as I recall

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I spend most of my time away on sites,however there have been occasions I have stayed in a services or Aire ,generally due to fatigue.
Like you I sleep sporadically and hear every sound.I can't remember where but someone suggested cheap air horns.I know it sounds extreme or even stupid but I did buy about 3 off evilbay for about a tenner.
My theory being just maybe it will startle a would be intruder or one already in just enough to take off,would wake my partner before I set it off naturally,well maybe.Seriously hope you find and share your solution with us and sleep better in the future.::bigsmile:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
how about a motion activated security light with a wireless buzzer to alert indoors. set it to only pick up very close by and it wont give false positives. best part is, that a light turning on will fool the thieves into thinking you have disturbed them

very simple and not too expensive. saw one in aldi a while back that was designed to warn if anyone came into your gate etc was under £20 as I recall

You can get these with their own small solar panel, I have a spot light type in my shed & it works even in winter

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp

That reminds me, we have two PIR activated lights, they have three white led''s in and they are quite bright when they cone on, they can be set to stay on for one or ten minutes and take three AAA batteries. The batteries last for a long time. These lights are magnetic so you just put a small self adhesive metal disc, supplied, where you want the light and just attach it at night (I haver forgotten to take them off before driving away and after 250 miles they were still attached!) Anyone approaching close to the van gets bathed in quite bright light. I bought these on Amazon UK for I think about £8 each.

The other measure is the Milenco window alarms, they have a red flashing LED at night.

So with the dog bowl etc. the LED lights and the Milenco alarms as well as the Cat 1 motorhome alarm there's not much more we can do.

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Some sensible replies and some not so but can I ask were you actually in the MHo when you were burgled

Yes we were, and we didn't hear a thing! I now have no worries at all with regard to the MH security, as i said earlier it has now been secured to the point where i could sleep easy, if I didn't have the trailer on the back to worry about.
I am now a very light sleeper as a result so when I do wake up, instead of laying there wondering/listening, I would like to just be able to peek out somehow, without gadgetry to stimulate me too much , and assure myself that there is no-one there and get straight back to sleep. :thumb:

Forgot to add, the reason I worry about the car/trailer is because there is not always room in the MH for some expensive equipment!

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
very simple answer to your dilemma then....fit an alarm on the car with a triggered output and run a wire to the van alarm. if anyone interferes with the car (could be bike) the alarm on both will go off. using the same simple system fit a closed loop circuit so you can put a wire through a point on the trailer. moving it or breaking the circuit also triggers the alarm

it really is VERY simple to do for any auto electrician. as both car and van both probably have alarms already it wont cost a fortune either

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I can imagine how you feel, the problem is tho' you will become a slave to fear.

I have not suffered a break in (and of course hope never to experience it) but the theory I work to at the moment is along the lines of……..

Once is just bad luck, twice would be unfortunate, a third time and I would probably give up and do something else :Blush:

Easy to say I know, but as my old dad use to say to me "a life lived in fear is a life half lived"

Just enjoy it while you eh?

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
A alternative view and a change of mentality is is it worth all this worry. Are you putting to much on things that can be replaced, get some good insurance and if it go's it go's.
Good luck
Dave

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
A alternative view and a change of mentality is is it worth all this worry. Are you putting to much on things that can be replaced, get some good insurance and if it go's it go's.
Good luck
Dave

I do understand the view, but, if you find yourself in strange lands with different languages, no belongings/money or worse, the notion of 'if it goes it goes' couldn't be further from reality. Only when its happened does it bring home the importance of whats yours. :thumb:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
This system is the answer.
Perfectly legal in South Africa ... not so sure how Caravan Club wardens will take to it :winky:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc[/ame]

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
As well as alarms on car and van we have we have the mk1 muttley proximity sensor. Very calming and reassuring.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back