Do you want to be Malcolm? (1 Viewer)

Jan 16, 2014
Harleston, Harleston, Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class, Autotrail Scout
Exp
Oct, 2013
Opposite to where we used to moor our boat on the Norfolk broads was another boat owned by Jean & Malcolm. Malcolm was/is a university lecturer at Canterbury, highly intelligent, but totally useless at D.I.Y. I must admit I felt smug when he called me over to fix a gas tap on his boat that was leaking. Like all things you do for other people it didn't go smoothly, there I was down in the bilges following a gas pipe and I looked up and Malcolm is sat in the stern drinking a G&T watching the sunset. That was the first time I felt that being practical is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Since then I've gone and worked in a hospital repairing & maintaining Linear accelerators (The machines that radiate and treat cancer). Again when a machine went defective a radiographer would call and say 'The linacc's broke' and their responsibility was finished and it was then down to me.

The question is, who would you rather be in terms of practical skills, Malcolm or Tech100/Billthedrill/Jaws any of the practical people on the forum.

As I crawled out from under the MoHo this morning I know who I want to be.

'I want to be Malcolm' :Smile:

Last edited:
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm………. probably dictated by finance. I tend to do most stuff that is within (or just within!) my DIY skills because of the money I would save. If money was not an issue I too would probably prefer to be a 'Malcolm'. :Blush:

bryandh

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Malaga, Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class. FFB Tabbert 570
Exp
Since 2010
We know a Malcolm.......... and this ain't him.

Our Malcolm, among other things, builds solar showers out of dustbins, black bags and assorted "bits 'n' pieces" in the middle of Morocco.......... for fun !!!!

Malcolm, you know who you are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards, Bryan and Anna :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Opposite to where we used to moor our boat on the Norfolk broads was another boat owned by Jean & Malcolm. Malcolm was/is a university lecturer at Canterbury, highly intelligent, but totally useless at D.I.Y. I must admit I felt smug when he called me over to fix a gas tap on his boat that was leaking. Like all things you do for other people it didn't go smoothly, there I was down in the bilges following a gas pipe and I looked up and Malcolm is sat in the stern drinking a G&T watching the sunset. That was the first time I felt that being practical is not all that it's cracked up to be.

Since then I've gone and worked in a hospital repairing & maintaining Linear accelerators (The machines that radiate and treat cancer). Again when a machine went defective a radiographer would call and say 'The linacc's broke' and their responsibility was finished and it was then down to me.

The question is, who would you rather be in terms of practical skills, Malcolm or Tech100/Billthedrill/Jaws any of the practical people on the forum.

As I crawled out from under the MoHo this morning I know who I want to be.

'[HI]I want to be Malcolm'[/HI] :Smile:

Nothing to do with He's Not Married to Dawn?:ROFLMAO:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Unfortunately due to age and COPD I have to be a Malcolm and after many years of being 95% capable of doing/fixing everything I find it extremely frustrating not being able to anymore

Count your blessings that you are capable, the day might come when you can't anymore

Peter

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We know 2 other families who camp with us and there is a DIYer who can't sit still even services his bicycle every morning before he sets off for a ride. I am probably the most normal,duct tape is my friend. Our 'Malcolm' will take responsibility for the music and candles when we have a BBQ in the evening. He is a 'closet veggie' who likes only peas,won't eat ribs,coleslaw or any thing on the bone and cuts the extreme ends of brocolli and leaves the stems, eats peas! But he is great at colour coordination.
We all know a Malcolm.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We know a Malcolm.......... and this ain't him.

Our Malcolm, among other things, builds solar showers out of dustbins, black bags and assorted "bits 'n' pieces" in the middle of Morocco.......... for fun !!!!

Malcolm, you know who you are :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards, Bryan and Anna :roflmto:

Would your Malcolm be the same one as this. Building an extension in Spain.

Attachments

• La Cala 001.jpg
    La Cala 001.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 94
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've been in IT 28 years and know a bit about computers. And all me pals know that .

I got a bit fed up of folk asking me to solve performance or virus problems. :Sad:

Now if anybody asks, I reply "Sure mate and will you wash my car while I am sorting the PC ?"

"Sod off" is the usual reply. When I ask why not, the usual reply is...

"I don't work for nothing".

My reply ?

"Neither do I". :RollEyes:

That usually gets a laugh from all around :roflmto:

Now just do work for family and builder mates who help me out in return.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I applied for a Malcolm but finished up with a Smudger :Doh:

Attachments

• benidorm 001.jpg
    benidorm 001.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 55

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Iclipped...........Now if anybody asks, I reply "Sure mate and will you wash my car while I am sorting the PC ?"

"Sod off" is the usual reply. When I ask why not, the usual reply is...

"I don't work for nothing".

My reply ?

"Neither do I". :RollEyes:

That usually gets a laugh from all around :roflmto:

Now just do work for family and builder mates who help me out in return.
I don't get that attitude you've experienced. :whatthe: If you were in a position to fix my PC, then washing your car would be the least I could do in return. And when the PC was repaired and "up and running", you'd be having one of my beers. :thumb:

Regards,

Jock. :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i am still very hands on with most things.....drives the wife mad some days and she argues i am taking work away from somebody and damaging my own health. but i enjoy doing bits and pieces

mind you i have conceded to allow her to have a building firm in to alter the bathroom at home. a few years ago and i would of just got on with it within a week of deciding. cant stand still and look at jobs that need doing though

as for fixing computers or other little jobs for friends, I used to do a lot of that too and would often be out most evenings fixing stuff. these days i limit the people i fix computers for to close family and friends. look after those that also help you

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must be a blooming Malcolm then! :RollEyes: Or maybe 'Melcolm'! ::bigsmile:

I've lost count of the number of times we've help the next door neighbour out and been 'promised' a lovely cake in return (not that I did it for that you understand :Blush:), so far the count is 3 ... but we've not seen ONE of the bl**dy things! :cry:

Hubby lent her our power washer to do her block paving (I think she was angling for him to do it but I warned him before hand not to fall for it!), she had it for a few weeks and when he asked for it back she kept promising that she'd clean and return it, in the end he had to go round and get it, so she won't be getting to borrow it again! :Angry:

We've also done lots of other stuff for friends of ours but at least we know they appreciate it ... even though at times we could do without the hassle. :Doh:

As for letting others do stuff for us or paying for it to be done ... if I can do it, I will as I like it to be done 'right' and judging by the way some people do work (and from past experience of using 'professionals') I might as well do and not then have to put right the stuff they haven't done properly in the first place! However, I must admit that building fencing and a new gate, and then once we'd had our conservatory put up (I know my limits! :Eeek: ), doing the flooring and other jobs in there, then re-jigging the kitchen, doing the plumbing and electrics ... shhhhhh (with hubby), cutting and refitting worktops, tiling, decorating, and then the flooring ... sometimes I wish I COULD find someone to do the job the way I like it!!! I don't think I can face any more decorating etc at the moment ... I'll probably leave it now until we get to the end of summer when I've forgotten how much hard work it can be! :RollEyes: I might, though, get my large drive gate done before the old one falls to pieces as it certainly won't survive another winter. :roflmto:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Such a difficult question !

I have never been a Malcolm.. I am always the bloke getting his hands dirty

I actually enjoy doing what I do..

But as said, I have never been a Malcolm so have no idea if I would enjoy that or not..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My dad was a very practical man.. I never saw a tradesman in our house. he did everything
and he had me help as soon as I could walk.. yes, literally.. he was a spark and did 'home jobs' and had me tag along to help.. pulling cables under floor boards etc.. It used to scare me..

I recall him telling me.. son, if someone else can make it.. YOU can learn to fix it .. and his advice has been my maxim ..

I've never had to have a tradesman in any house.. and until very recently had my car in a garage.. other than for tyres or exhaust system.

Don't confuse education with brains.. or 'gumption' .. my dad had gumption by the shed load.. the 'can do' spirit ... and I inherited a fair bit..

I know a lot of 'Malcoms' one just up the road who is a high school maths teacher asked to borrow a pipe wrench.. he came back and said it was too small.. he didn't realise it was adjustable.. so an educated man.. with no common sense.. :Doh:

he fell into a 'gumption trap'

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am definitely a Malcolm. Not because I am lazy ( but I am lazy too) but because I am completely useless with my hands. it's strange because I have quite a practical mind and score highly in IQ and other tests of that sort but put a screwdriver or drill in my hand and I am a bumbling incompetent.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim sounds like a Malcolm (That actually was his name) I fitted a kitchen for. He was a lecturer at Ipswich College. His wife asked me if he could borrow a power drill to fit a curtain rail, 10 minutes later she came back in the kitchen and asked me if I could do it as he couldn't drill the holes. I went in the lounge picked up me drill and realised he had it in reverse.:ROFLMAO:

Ian

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim sounds like a Malcolm (That actually was his name) I fitted a kitchen for. He was a lecturer at Ipswich College. His wife asked me if he could borrow a power drill to fit a curtain rail, 10 minutes later she came back in the kitchen and asked me if I could do it as he couldn't drill the holes. I went in the lounge picked up me drill and realised he had it in reverse.:ROFLMAO:

Ian

Hi Ian

My 'Malcolm' teaches in Ipswich high school.. nice bloke, but useless at practical things

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back