OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My camper has wind down stabilising feet at the back. Should I be looking for a couple of wooden squares or something similar to wind them down on to?

Also, how far down do you wind them (I know, until they touch the floor right!) lol

I mean, Once they are down they start to lift the back of the van. Should I do this a little, or a lot, or not at all? Not sure what is the best practice! :Confused:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A Name like yours and you ask about feet:ROFLMAO:

You need caravan leg pads see pic
they stay in place permanently save all the bending and forgeting to pick em up

Drop leg and apply light pressure to just support the van its a stabiliser not a jack or a leveler:Doh:
Geo

Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• $T2eC16ZHJG8FGskTJUTsBST!8olq)w~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16ZHJG8FGskTJUTsBST!8olq)w~~60_12.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You need caravan leg pads see pic
they stay in place permanently save all the bending and forgeting to pick em up

Geo

Broken Link Removed

Or you do like my Dad did when we caravanned carry random bits of wood and make your oldest son collect them and scrape off worm casts and slugs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Never mind expensive leg pads. Cut a chopping board in half, drill two holes in each piece and fit a handle made of an electrical cable off cut knotted behind each hole. Lightweight, easy to use and reasonably priced :Smile:

All the bending gives you exercise and not forgetting to pick em up keeps your mind active :roflmto:

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Oddsocks,

They are just to 'stabilise' your van to prevent rocking when you move around inside. I had them on my previous 'van (wish I had them on my current one). Just wind them down until they 'bite'. Don't jack the van up with them!!!

I bought some robust plastic caravan pads at Peterborough Show last year. Cost me £9 for a pack of four (only needed two, but that's the way they came). They spread the load whilst on soft ground and prevent the legs from digging themselves in. They're better than lumps of wood because they are light and any mud just washes off.

Oh, and don't forget to wind the legs back up before you move off :winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
OddSocks

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks everyone! Knew I could rely on this forum to get the low down on feet! :ROFLMAO: Now I know where I stand :ROFLMAO:

I might knock something up in my dads garage, he has all sorts in there. I do like the idea of having something permanently attached though.

Talking of levelers - where would I get them from?

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Go to your local joiners yard and ask them for an offcut of the thickest wood they have. Should be free but if you don't ask them right they may ask you for £1 or £2. 9" by 9" is more than enough.

Wind down until the wood is pushed firmly onto the ground but not until the van is being lifted in any way.

PS: if you are going to stratford and can wait until then I will bring you a set for free. If anyone else wants some let me know and I will bring a load.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks everyone! Knew I could rely on this forum to get the low down on feet! :ROFLMAO: Now I know where I stand :ROFLMAO:

I might knock something up in my dads garage, he has all sorts in there. I do like the idea of having something permanently attached though.

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Tip
leave the winding handle across your clutch /brake pedal after lowering the legs - saves you driving off and leaving scrapes and amusing the neighbours :thumb:

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seen a few vans do that over the years, at best it rips up the grass, but worst will bend the legs so they wont wind back up. Helped a very embarrassed guy to unbolt his when he pulled off a pitch with them down and then tried to drive onto a concrete road a few inches higher than the grass. the legs were bent and the threaded spindle buckled too. thankfully he didnt seem to damage his chassis

Upvote 0

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have legs with the plastic bits on them as pads.
I had to take them off as they flapped in any slightest breeze and kept me awake at night.
We couldn't use them many times especially on Aires where they are not allowed so removed them.
Good tip about putting the winding handle on the brake pedal, we do that when we do use them though.
Have got used to the rocking motion when they are not deployed though.
Strange how some have them and some don't.
Our last van had longer overhang than this one and didn't have them.
This is the first van we have owned that has them.

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Tip
leave the winding handle across your clutch /brake pedal after lowering the legs - saves you driving off and leaving scrapes and amusing the neighbours :thumb:

Yes, good tip. I always do that (when I remember) ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

found Amazon the cheapest for the Milenco ones, they even arrived covered in bubble wrap which I thought was rather funny as I put a four tonne van on them. :Doh:

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Use the off cuts from the pads:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I have a couple of Draper 6-tonne bottle jacks in Udo for stabilising, primarily at the rear.

Never used them yet but they have a clear double usage. They're immensely compact to store, too.

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

The levellers that Geo referred to are hydraulic legs that will automatically level the van for you - at a price of several grand! Most of us just use levelling ramps as Clive referred to (Milenco are the most substantial - three or four step).

Some vans don't really need corner steadies - depending on a combination of their height/rear overhang/general stability. I used them on my previous van but don't bother with the current one. :Smile:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back