The Little Roodee Car Park...Chester (1 Viewer)

Pod Sleeper

Free Member
Apr 11, 2014
N.Wales
Funster No
MH
roller team
Exp
40yrs
Sort of wild camping!
Although we only live 8 mls from here, we use this c/p regularly when we fancy having a few beers and a meal in town.
Great place, by the river, nice walks, quiet and minutes from the city centre.

It's only £1.50 from 1700hrs until 0900 the next day.
No facilities and a barrier goes down at 22.30 (emergency release tel. number is given) There is a web site.

Cheers.....

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Doh! Now you've told everyone:Doh::roflmto:

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Yes, quite popular with members of this forum, and no doubt in use during the Chester rally weekend.

A search for 'roodee' will bring back plenty of posts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Sort of wild camping!
Although we only live 8 mls from here, we use this c/p regularly when we fancy having a few beers and a meal in town.

No facilities and a barrier goes down at 22.30 (emergency release tel. number is given) There is a web site.

Cheers.....

Snap. :thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We are hoping to stay there next Wednesday night if we can get there before 10.30pm. Not sure where we will go if we arrive later.

Sonja

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
I assume you can get there earlier and pay the hourly rate?

Sep 21, 2013
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since Apr 2013
Overnight in car parks

Its nice that the local council allows this.
I live on the Isle of Wight and all Council car parks have notices saying you cannot use your mobile home for any sanitary or sleeping purposes while parked on them, including on street parking areas in some areas.
Think yourselves lucky they allow it over there.

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
I live on the Isle of Wight and all Council car parks have notices saying [HI]you cannot use your mobile home for any sanitary or sleeping purposes[/HI] while parked on them, including on street parking areas in some areas.

What are they going to do; send the Bog Police around to check?
Or WCSOs.:ROFLMAO:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Plus Cheshire West and Chester Council have marked MH bays in at least one of their Park 'n' Rides, although I'm not sure if overnighting is allowed there (cue GJH). Surely that's the next logical step if the Roodee works.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I live on the Isle of Wight and all Council car parks have notices saying you cannot use your mobile home for any sanitary or sleeping purposes while parked on them, including on street parking areas in some areas.

Unfortunately places like Chester and Powys seem to be an exception to the rule.

Most places are = IOW :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Plus Cheshire West and Chester Council have marked MH bays in at least one of their Park 'n' Rides, although I'm not sure if overnighting is allowed there (cue GJH). Surely that's the next logical step if the Roodee works.

The council told me last August "We have over height areas at each of our 4 Park and Ride sites and we have a car park called the Little Roodee, which is designed for overnight stays and is popular with motor home visitors".

As far as I know Little Roodee predates the P&R sites (I remember parking there in car about 18 years ago) so little chance of overnighting being allowed at the P&R sites I should have thought, as they are not designed for it.

Of course, if anyone could show the council sound evidence why it would be an advantageous move then they might consider it :Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

What are they going to do; send the Bog Police around to check?
Or WCSOs.:ROFLMAO:

Such conditions are fairly common because they do provide a power for councils to act against abuse - and yes, if it did become a problem they might well send round "Bog Police" :Smile:

The reality is that the vast majority of car parks are designed and created for that purpose and not for people who want to camp in motorhomes. Thus, one can appreciate why a strong case is required to persuade any council to make a material change of use - a case which very few people are willing to make.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Of course, if anyone could show the council sound evidence why it would be an advantageous move then they might consider it :Smile:

I'm reliably informed that the current buzzwords in Cheshire West and Chester Council are 'Growth and Prosperity', so maybe that's a way in. After all, being members of the wealthy MH owning elite it's a well-known fact that we all carry crates of gold bullion around with us to spend wherever we're permitted to stop overnight.

Look at Honfleur - 200 motorhomes on the aire most nights and some of the wealthiest Parisian art galleries have set up branches around the town :winky:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we are in our own little personal airs by the canal the wee man wanted to camp out and get dropped off in the van at school in the morning
it less than a mile from home ::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
just to let you all know that the little roodee will actually be closed for 10 days shortly whilst they have the fun fair. Not quite sure of the dates but no doubt will be on Chester web site

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
Funster No
MH
swift escape 640
Exp
since 2009
I am over the I o w in august and while looking on the net was very surprised to find a map showing all motorhome friendly car parks,
http://www.iwight.com/azservices/documents/2729-Map-of-motorhome-parking-16oct13.pdf
which seem to cover almost everywhere providing its up to date it has to be far more parking friendly than most of the mainland for Mhomers .
glyn

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
just to let you all know that the little roodee will actually be closed for 10 days shortly whilst they have the fun fair. Not quite sure of the dates but no doubt will be on Chester web site

1st - 10th May 2014.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I'm reliably informed that the current buzzwords in Cheshire West and Chester Council are 'Growth and Prosperity', so maybe that's a way in. After all, being members of the wealthy MH owning elite it's a well-known fact that we all carry crates of gold bullion around with us to spend wherever we're permitted to stop overnight.

Look at Honfleur - 200 motorhomes on the aire most nights and some of the wealthiest Parisian art galleries have set up branches around the town :winky:

So it should be an easy case to make then :winky:::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I am over the I o w in august and while looking on the net was very surprised to find a map showing all motorhome friendly car parks,
http://www.iwight.com/azservices/documents/2729-Map-of-motorhome-parking-16oct13.pdf
which seem to cover almost everywhere providing its up to date it has to be far more parking friendly than most of the mainland for Mhomers .
glyn

The map and list were added to the web site last October in response to a request.

Following on from Vectian's post, though, parking is parking not camping :Smile:

Herman ze German

Free Member
Jul 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
Merc Sprinter self build
Exp
since 2006
Stayed on this Car Park last Weds night (Aug 20th) , and so did about another 10 motorhomes (including 2 Italians) . For £1.50 after 5pm till 9am you can`t get a better deal.
5 mins walking distance from Chester town centre & right next to the river & Chester race course .
No boy racers to worry about as they lock the gates at 1030pm & reopen them at 0600.
Will certainly be using this again ......but won`t be parking under the trees again , bloody pigeons !

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Just one thing, make sure you park within the bays as people have been issued with tickets for not parking in them.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Well done Chester!! we live a couple of mins from the Roodee car park so pass it most days and there are usually a few motorhomes parked up along the river.
A perfect position with the city centre just across the road.
Hopefully other councils will take this on board.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Just one thing, make sure you park within the bays as people have been issued with tickets for not parking in them.
Carol is there large bays for Motorhomes or do you have to hang over grass ect?
Thanks

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi, the long bays are by the river, and are the best and easier to get in them after 6pm, be careful you can get booked for parking outside lines, there are a lot of coach bays and some park in there. Sealand road Park and ride have a dedicated space for motorhomes as you go in. could be worth parking there in the day and going to the Roudee after 6pm.

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Thanks Carol can you stay on more than one night and day so get big bay after 6 and stay a few nights? Haven't been to Chester for many years
Thanks

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes no problem how long you stay once you are there, lots of Foreign vans get there think it must be on their web sites. £1.50 overnight and usual car park charges in the day,

SharonL

Free Member
Apr 14, 2013
Rossendale
Funster No
MH
Him RV - me Bongo!
Exp
Just starting
Sort of wild camping!

Cheers.....

What a great tip, thanks for posting, Jim and I have parked on there several years ago but only on a coach when he was working so I never had this down as a potential RV visit spot for Chester! It is superbly located.

Hi, the long bays are by the river, and are the best and easier to get in them after 6pm, be careful you can get booked for parking outside lines, there are a lot of coach bays and some park in there. Sealand road Park and ride have a dedicated space for motorhomes as you go in. could be worth parking there in the day and going to the Roudee after 6pm.

Cheers Carol, so if we came in our RV (approx 35 ft) do you reckon we'd get into the Sealand Rd Park n Ride or would we have to go straight to the Little Roodee? I haven't been for years so have no mental image of the entry route/sizes etc. Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back