LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
About 7 years ago we bought some microfibre towels from Lidl which are a lot lighter than terry but of a similar construction and size - and we've been using them ever since.

Last year at Malvern we were persuaded to buy some towels which were a much denser microfibre fabric, smaller and fairly expensive. Jill found them OK to use but I can't get away with them at all.

In Lidl yesterday Jill spotted some microfibre Sports Towels. Only £3.99 so we bought one to try. They are a similar density of material to the expensive ones, less thick and much larger - and they work very well. At first it seemed awkward but the I realised it was actually drying much quicker than terry or the older microfibre towels.

So impressed that I've been back to Lidl this morning and bought another three :Smile:

They are not in the current specials but our local store still had about a dozen left after my purchase this morning so they may still be available elsewhere.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
You do have to make an effort to get used to the denser microfiber towels, I didn't like them at first but carried on and now prefer them. Like you say, it's because they dry you quicker they seem to "stick" until you get used to them.

Thanks foe the info about them at lidls - I feel a trip into town coming on :)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I guess these towels are a bit like the Marmite debate, I do like Marmite, but just can't get on with micro fibre towels, it feels like I am using a chamois leather, not at all nice

We are lucky and have neither space nor weight issues and I would rather be fully covered by towel when exiting a shower, especially when using site facilities

I must add that Bev loves them, so I think I will get a super king sized towel to use her wasted allowance!! ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We've been using microfibre towels for years and won't use anything else when 'camping'.

For tents, especially, they're particularly handy as they take up far less space and dry very quickly.

In Udo, we can hang a few of them in the toilet or shower where they, combined, occupy the same space as a small conventional towel. Again, their quick drying capabilities are a real benefit.

We're not hindered by space or weight. We simply like them.

Last edited:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I use them when going for dinghy sailing meetings. Hate them but they work and don't take up much space.......

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The best thing I've found for use in the camper is a microfibre towelling mit ... it is much easier to manoeuvre in the small space of a camper's washroom than a towel and dries you very well indeed and rather than 'dab' as you would normally with a microfibre towel, the advantage of a mit is that you can 'rub' yourself dry as the mitt stays on your hand and doesn't ruck up. It is also much easier to store and dry and of course easily washed out afterwards so it's nice and clean again for when you next want it. If necessary you could use 2 if you have a larger body surface to dry off!!!! ::bigsmile:

The one I use is the 'flat' type, just like the microfibre towel material - in fact it wouldn't take much to make some out of a towel anyway. There are also the type with the 'tassles' on too, which are meant to wash a car but we use one of these to get excess water off the dogs when they've been out in the sea or been rained on and they work well on them ... so if you feel 'adventurous' you could try one of those! :Blush:

Attachments

• microfibre flat mit.jpg
    microfibre flat mit.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 12
  • microfibre tassle mit.jpg
    microfibre tassle mit.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 15
OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You do have to make an effort to get used to the denser microfiber towels, I didn't like them at first but carried on and now prefer them. Like you say, [HI]it's because they dry you quicker they seem to "stick" until you get used to them. [/HI]

Thanks foe the info about them at lidls - I feel a trip into town coming on :)

That and the size are the reasons I don't like the expensive ones. I was sceptical with the Lidl ones but pleasantly surprised that any "sticking" was far less than with the others :thumb:

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
LIDL towels - look first!

Went to LIDLs today and they had towels, but it was not until I looked closely that I noticed they were 100% cotton and not micro fibre ones. So, look before you buy!!

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Yup, had same as above. Went into Lidl but the towels were 100% cotton :-(

Did pick up another CREE torch though, which I don't Need but you can never have too many torches :). (its for someone else - honest)

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yup, had same as above. Went into Lidl but the[HI] towels were 100% cotton[/HI] :-(

Did pick up another CREE torch though, which I don't Need but you can never have too many torches :). (its for someone else - honest)

Went to LIDLs today and they had towels, but it was not until I looked closely that[HI] I noticed they were 100% cotton[/HI] and not micro fibre ones. So, look before you buy!!

Those are the ones which are part of this week's specials. The Crivit Quick Drying Sports Towels were part of the specials from 7th April, hence saying they are not in the current specials but they may still be available elsewhere.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back