Fiat Ducato 2007 tow-ball wirering kit, baffeled by choice. (1 Viewer)

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
I have fitted a tow-ball to my Elnagh and apparently I cant merrily snip and connect wires (possibly blow the odd fuse) and be able to call to my wife "is the left hand indicator working?"and after a short delay(when she has decided which is the left one) she reply's"Yes No Yes No errr it keeps going on & off!!"
I have Google d for the kit :Eeek:blooming eck!!! I'm baffled. Can someone point me too just One that will do the job.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
I have fitted a tow-ball to my Elnagh and apparently I cant merrily snip and connect wires (possibly blow the odd fuse) and be able to call to my wife "is the left hand indicator working?"and after a short delay(when she has decided which is the left one) she reply's"Yes No Yes No errr it keeps going on & off!!"
I have Google d for the kit :Eeek:blooming eck!!! I'm baffled. Can someone point me too just One that will do the job.

I suspect your Ducato "benefits from "Canbus" wiring. If it does, the correct kit will be required and the ECU must be "told", via a laptop computer link, that the tow bar electrics have been fitted. Without this, the towbar electrics will not work.

Cutting into any of the vehicle wiring may result in the ECU shutting down because it will see it as a fault.

Whoever fits the electrics must have the software for the system.

Hope this helps.

If I am wrong, I am sure someone will say so.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I cant say I know to much but as above, you have CAnBUS and cant simply cut into wires... Mine on a 2012 has a bypass relay kit fitted, thats as much as I know...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
.............I have fitted a tow-ball to my Elnagh and apparently I cant merrily snip and connect wires..............

Indeed.. been there got the T shirt and the tow bar ..

In the good 'ol days all you needed was a handful of Skotch-loks..
now you need a £100+ makers fitting kit, and a degree in electronics..

it's called 'progress' ..:RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A universal bypass relay will do the job circa £25-£30 with a 25amp fused feed to it direct from the battery
The ecu doesn't need to know about the tow electrics at all, its all simple follow me electrics
The relay wires go where you would have put the 7 core, and the 7 core goes to the box, the box picks up the canbus pulse from the van electrics and uses the Bat to Box 25 amp supply to run the trailer lights and stuff simples
KIS:thumb:
Keep It Simple

Geo

Last edited:

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Canbus system senses power usage and is able to communicate this to an ECU for the purpose of sensing how the vehicles electronics are working. Tapping into the wiring as in the good old days is now a no, no as the additional drain will be sensed and false readings achieved which will upset the ECU. You need a bypass relay, approx £20.00, a hand full of scotchlocks and a good wiring diagram for colour identification. The bypass senses voltage in the indicator wiring for example and then uses a powered relay to energise the trailer equivalent. However canbus can be fickle so care is required.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think some of the replies here will confuse the OP even more!

In a CANbus system, the lights are controlled by signals sent to them by the dashboard and steering column controls, unlike in a conventional system where those controls actually switch the lights on and off directly.

Carl c's reply contains a PDF which helps. There are no wires which you can clip into anymore but there are sockets by the light clusters where you can pick up the signals.
The only tricky bit will be running the power feed from the battery.

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Thanks a lot every one:notworthy::thumb: Sorry for the delay, Iv been busy trying to get the campsite ready for the end of the Month:Eeek::wooo:. It looks like karl c wins the "Mars Bar"I will take the PDF to our Auto Electrician as they are not up to date (but would like too be) with this M/H technology, little do they know, that I have a few more electrical additions to add, but I will have to check them out on the Forum first. Many thanks again :thumb::thumb:;

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

In a CANbus system, the lights are controlled by signals sent to them by the dashboard and steering column controls, unlike in a conventional system where those controls actually switch the lights on and off directly.

Carl c's reply contains a PDF which helps. There are no wires which you can clip into anymore but there are sockets by the light clusters where you can pick up the signals.

Non more so than this one

There are indeed many places where the wiring can be connected into how do you think the bypass relays are fitted:Doh:

use of the plugs you mention are usualy used for what are call dedicated towing looms

Running the 12v direct from battery to the relay is just the opposite:Blush: its the easy bit
The trick bit for the novice is identifying the wires without blowing up the body control units
Frentchy
Let your auto electricians learn on someone else's motor home

Paying the ones that know often works out cheaper than those that dont:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Thanks Geo, there is a spare socket hanging near the rear axle, I'll show our guys the PDF (they have sorted our stuff for years and Auto Electricians are rare around here), but rest assured If I they start scratching there heads,and giving the good old French shrug I'll get back to you all for "plan B" :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Carl c's reply contains a PDF which helps. [HI]There are no wires which you can clip into anymor[/HI]e but there are sockets by the light clusters where you can pick up the signals.

sorry but incorrect.

As Geo posted, in a universal bypass relay system the 7 way relay wires are tapped into the original wiring harness using whatever method is best for you....scotchloc (not recommended), soldered, crimped and sealed.

The trigger signal is sent to the relay but as relay is a very low power unit it wont cause the canbus to close down.
The actual power to run the auxilary lights is not taken from the canbus wiring but from a new 12v supply from the battery or fusebox which feeds all 7 relay switches.

A universal relay is a fraction of the cost of a dedicated relay system which does plug into the original lights wiring.

The main cost of a dedicated system is the cost of the OE plugs and sockets needed.....manufacturer plugs and sockets arent available to general public so the cost to bypass manufacturers is at the whim of the car maker.
The relay itself is basicaly the same as in a universal kit.

A dedicated kit for my Chrysler would have been a few quid short of £300, if and when one was in stock.....a universal kit from halfrauds cost £17.

OP
OP
Frentchy

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
:wooo:Im getting that:Eeek:Blooming eck!! feeling again. Will Karl c's option do the job (fitted by a competent electrician) and is it basically the same system (bypass) as pappajohn's universal kit? and if its the same system do you have any pics or links of it pappajohn ?(I might be able to find another Mars Bar:winky:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back