Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
owning to work comitments:Angry:

we may have to delay our foray into France this year till September, we dont want to travel too far, around Liore vally or Veedee coast sort of areas.

My previous experance of France after middle of Aug is that the weather can go really off and at the end of Aug campsite can be shut.

I know aires will be more empty, but we do like putting out stuff and staying a few days on a site so whats your experance, should we look to drive futher south for some warmer weather?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We do France in September, can't beat it, get the France passion book if you havnt already, free sites still open , most will let you stay longer and get your stuff out, obviously the further south you go the warmer it will be, and as you say aires will still be open and they won't bother you as there won't be anyone on most of them. Don't worry about it best time of the year, might even bump into you, hopefully be there all month.:thumb::thumb:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
we generally go in September for a few weeks, more often than not we end up down in Provence. Blat down there in a couple of days then slowly amble back - or if you really feel brave the run from calais to avignon is doable in one long boring days drive...but that way you get the long bit out of the way and can then amble about - works for us as we normally have max of 2.5 weeks to play with

Right on the Med is still busyish at that time of year and weather is generally quite good with temps in the upper 20s (perfect for me - over 30c and i start to melt!!)

lot of the municipal sites are on wind down by then and are quite empty - quite a few dont have anyone to collect the dosh either, or anywhere to 'deposit' it.

its a much more chilled atmosphere as well in my view, mad rush of main holiday time is over and everyone is getting back into normal daily routines...lots more shops etc close at odd times though.....if at all:roflmto:

do get a shock though when you head north again - almost like there is a line mid way up that on one side is warm and the other is piggin cold!! so worth taking warm and cooler weather gear

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Who can predict the weather. I remember September on a bike, we rode to Chamonix in hot sunshine and on the way back had to visit Rheims cathedral to cool off. We were baked. Chamonix was glorious.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We live in Burgundy for part of the year and find that the first half of September is invariably good. The second half can be a bit "iffy". Not cold but can be showery.

Weather in France, from about midway down, is fairly good until October. Remember, the grapes are being harvested about that time in many regions and they rely on good weather for that.

Anyway, take the risk. It will probably pay off.

Bon voyage.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
think that's where and when we'll be heading off, not due to work but to miss the crowds. You're all correct about the north/south weather split, we get it twice though, once in France and once again as we come home over Shap on the M6 !
Incidentally, do you know why its called Shap ? A local told me it was because they didn't know whether to call it $hit or Crap :ROFLMAO:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We went last year in September, travelled down the eastern side through Champagne to just north of the Rhone Alps. Weather was superb, most of the aires had plenty of spaces and we had a great time.
As you get into October, some of the aires shut down, others are open but turn off the water, so fill up when you can.
Allan

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we generally go in September for a few weeks, more often than not we end up down in Provence. Blat down there in a couple of days then slowly amble back - or if you really feel brave the run from calais to avignon is doable in one long boring days drive...but that way you get the long bit out of the way and can then amble about - works for us as we normally have max of 2.5 weeks to play with

Right on the Med is still busyish at that time of year and weather is generally quite good with temps in the upper 20s (perfect for me - over 30c and i start to melt!!)

lot of the municipal sites are on wind down by then and are quite empty - quite a few dont have anyone to collect the dosh either, or anywhere to 'deposit' it.

its a much more chilled atmosphere as well in my view, mad rush of main holiday time is over and everyone is getting back into normal daily routines...lots more shops etc close at odd times though.....if at all:roflmto:

do get a shock though when you head north again - almost like there is a line mid way up that on one side is warm and the other is piggin cold!! so worth taking warm and cooler weather gear

In a nutshell:thumb::thumb:::bigsmile:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
owning to work comitments:Angry:

My Autumn break was cut short in 2013 for work too. I still feel :Angry:

I'm desperate to get away. Have a train booked for end of May - didn't book a return! I want to stay away as long as possible. One day I may not come back :Blush:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
we try to go as soon as the kids go back to school.sometimes we get the ferry down to north spain.then find out where the good weather is and just head for it.most sites are still open.i have found very few sites closed.and plenty of aries nearly empty.never been stuck yet.go and enjoy.you might bump into us.:thumb::thumb:

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
We go most years to France in September.

We always say go south of Lyon to get the weather!

Last year we went Mid Sept/Mid Oct and the weather was just turning in the south as far down as Beziers in beginning of Oct. it got progressively wetter and colder as we drove north.

Off to Provence at end of Aug this year to be back by first week in Oct.

We love it, weather in main mid 20's plus, great cycling and walking with the swimming pools just right!

Cannot wait, go for it!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back