Insurance Question (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We plan to spend about 8 months of the year in Lanzarote, driving the van both ways, taking 2/3 weeks each way. Then 3 or 4 months in UK at our house here.

How would van insurance be affected ? Obviously it will go up, but will we have trouble getting covered, if at all?

Also will be taking the bike, so will need cover for that.

Would it be easier/simpler to get cover when we get to Lanzarote?

All advice gratefully received

We will be renting a house there for first year, and buying a villa in about 2 years from now.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
What a boring place for a biker. Unless off road maybe.

I'll be doing trackdays in southern Spain on the way there and back :winky:

And there are some lovely roads in Lanzarote. Me dad and bruvver live there and we go every year.

Oh, and obligatory dirt bikes/quads will be bought there :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
And there are some lovely roads in Lanzarote. Me dad and bruvver live there and we go every year.

We went in 05, loved it. Loved the hot stuff.

But I remember the Mirador de Rio and photographing the whole island from there.

I reckon you'll go mad there.

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I reckon you'll go mad there.
Me dad has been there 30 years and still loves it. He has a dirt bike for exploring and fun (he's 82)

And me bruv has been there 20 years. He's taken us some interesting places in his 4WD :roflmto:

Apparently driving and smoking herbal cigarettes and supping wine, isn't illegal on top of a volcano :winky:

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We plan to spend about 8 months of the year in Lanzarote, driving the van both ways, taking 2/3 weeks each way. Then 3 or 4 months in UK at our house here.

How would van insurance be affected ? Obviously it will go up, but will we have trouble getting covered, if at all?

Caravan Club……….270 days abroad

Safeguard……………365 days abroad

There's two to get you under way. I have used one and just renewed with the other ::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
how will you get over the export/import rules? over 6 months and you are deemed to have exported the vehicle etc

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
that I am not sure with, but know its a big can of worms once you start. the vehicle must be registered somewhere, so I would guess it would be best registered where you spend most of the time. be aware that if you export the bike, you will need to put your personal reg number on retention or you lose it

just about everyone i know that spends time in a home in uk and france, portugal or spain keep the van registered here and come home before the limit. otherwise they have registered at their non uk address. this then means they pay insurance road tax and mot over there too

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its if out for more than 12mths you should inform swansea you are exporting. but usually if in the same overseas country for 6 months you should import . but check some do vary.
be far better just to fly there and get a car surely .
ferries to the canary isles are mega expensive .

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
its if out for more than 12mths you should inform swansea you are exporting. but usually if in the same overseas country for 6 months you should import . but check some do vary.
be far better just to fly there and get a car surely .
ferries to the canary isles are mega expensive .

As we are gonna be living there for 6 months, we won't get all out gear in a suitcase.

And don't think they will allow the dog and bike in the overhead lockers :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back