Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just thought as we are over to france next week when I leave the M20 to the tunnel do I go in the freight or the car lane ?, and where do I go from there?
Total newbie to this::bigsmile:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
This might help - [ame]http://youtu.be/rzW5TQtZ8EA[/ame]

For best Video picture quality click on the 'cog' (bottom right hand corner of the Youtube video) and select '720pHD' or '1080pHD'

Be warned - this Video is 27 minutes long.

:france::france::france:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You will find it all very easy .... once you leave the motorway don't follow freight, there are overhead signs which show which lanes you should take with a motorhome. Enjoy your trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We have done the tunnel loads in a car, ( I havent been on a ferry for 30 years!) but we too are coming up for first time through tunnel in motorhome.
I have a puzzling question - where on earth do you hang your "letter tag" to display which train you are on? Always used to hang it on the rear view mirror, but obviously dont have one now - just a huge A class windscreen

What do others do?
:Confused::help:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Car/coach lane. You won't be allowed on the freight train.

The hangar is a bit of a problem with no mirror, we hang ours on the dash cam, or SWMBO holds it.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Motorhomes follow the car signs and it's quite straight forward. If you want to stop at the services there is a dedicated Motorhome & coaches area with toilet dump and dog walking.
There are various checks to go through, passport & security etc and someone will want to check the gas is switched off. There are height restricted lanes which sort the larger vehicles from the car size ones. It's fairly clear, and there's usually someone to follow.
As for the check-in label, I think as long as it's obvious it doesn't matter. I seem to remember ours fell off once and no-one noticed.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
As everybody has mentioned, avoid the 'freight' lane and take car lane initially from the motorway - then follow overhead instructions. All fairly straightforward.

Worth knowing is that you can arrive up to 2 hours before your scheduled crossing and they will try to fit you on an earlier train if they have availability - which they usually do. :thumb:

Trains every 15 minutes at peak times, reduces to every 20 mins or 30 mins normally. Think it might be as little as every hour during middle of the night if little demand?

Mike

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Trains every 15 minutes at peak times, reduces to every 20 mins or 30 mins normally. Think it might be as little as every hour during middle of the night if little demand?

Mike

Can be 2+ hours betwwen trains at night. Fridays and Saturdays they do tunnel mainterance after 10pm. Because one of the 6 ections of the tunnel will be closed, trains are sent through in flights in one direction, then the other. A train at 5mins to the hour and another at 5 mins past the hour is classed as 1 per hour:Angry:, best to keep to booked time at night

Malcolm

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Tunnel entry and loading is very efficient (usually!)

Make sure you follow the signs for High Vehicles as you are seperated out from cars before the parking/embarkation area.

Always found the tunnel easier than the ferries and free with Tesco points !:thumb:

Have a good trip.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you are organised and time it right with sandwiches and a flask you can have a meal as you travel. It's very straight forward and efficient.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If you are organised and time it right with sandwiches and a flask you can have a meal as you travel. It's very straight forward and efficient.

Good point - we ALWAYS either eat, or at least have a snack, as we're going through the tunnel. But for a hot drink you MUST use a flask. Gas has to be turned off in the gas locker before boarding.

We normally just have boiling water in the flask, and then make a drink up without any significant waste.

Tried the ferry with the van on one of our trips last year and it was OK, but for us we much prefer the tunnel, even though it's a tad more expensive (unless you are paying with Tesco vouchers). :thumb:

Mike

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Letter tag for tunnel

We have done the tunnel loads in a car, ( I havent been on a ferry for 30 years!) but we too are coming up for first time through tunnel in motorhome.
I have a puzzling question - where on earth do you hang your "letter tag" to display which train you are on? Always used to hang it on the rear view mirror, but obviously dont have one now - just a huge A class windscreen

What do others do?

We have a roll of sellotape handy and just tape the letter tag thingy to the top of the windscreen. Simples.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I carry one of these for exactly this reason.....:thumb:

sucker-hook.jpg

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

What do others do?

I highly recommend this.

We have one where the mirror sits and it is perfect. Also useful for parking tickets and some campsites require a ticket to be displayed and this remains the external side of the silver screen. Clean the glass with a bit of meths first and it will never come off!

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
For newbies using the tunnel, try right hand side of train for viewing portholes, sometimes you can see the fish, DO NOT OPEN signs have been replaced i noticed recently.:Cool:

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
For newbies using the tunnel, try right hand side of train for viewing portholes, sometimes you can see the fish, DO NOT OPEN signs have been replaced i noticed recently.:Cool:

Yes...we only ever seem to see the fish on the journey back...something to do with that French wine the Missus thinks..:helptitanic:

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Booked on the 23.20 tonight,first time on the train, then coming home Zeebrugge - hull,,,,going down to puy du fou then dune du pyla,,,,just waiting for the kids to come home from school the were off,,,,
Bon voyage,,,as they say.:Smile:
ps..will we need a snorkel or can you breathe underwater.

Last edited:

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
lou020 - approach and parking at Dune du Pyla - [ame]http://youtu.be/NoxCqxNqlT4[/ame]

As long as you don't wind the carriage windows down you should be okay!

And lifebuoy rings for emergency use on the train are sold at Maidstone Services for a reasonable price.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
There is a well signposted motorhome dump point at the Folkestone end, but never seen one at the French terminal. Could anyone tell me if there is one, and if so, roughly where in relation to the motorhome parking.

It would be useful to us as the aire we usually stay on before the tunnel has no emptying facilities (or any other facilities for that matter) but is a pleasant little town with good dog walking adjacent to the aire (Bergues)

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp

What do others do?
Invest in a few of these......

Broken Link Removed

.....Also very useful for the site shower block etc :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread