Planned voyage to Gretna Green! (1 Viewer)

A

Anne

Deleted User
Hello All!,

Rob and I are planning to wed next year - and we are heading to Gretna Green in our fab "Nemo", does anyone have any experience of this type of journey?

Would be thrilled to hear off anyone who has!

Keep motoring!

Anne & Rob
:winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hello All!,

Rob and I are planning to wed next year - and we are heading to Gretna Green in our fab "Nemo", does anyone have any experience of this type of journey?

Keep motoring!

Anne & Rob

Congratulations You Guys.::bigsmile:

That's what a FUN site should be about.Enjoying Life and Living it the way YOU want.:thumb:

:Cool:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi anne and rob,

are you marrying at gretna or planning to visit?

my bro got hitched at gretna a number of years ago.

the old blacksmiths shop wasnt registered for weddings back then but they had a blessing there after the reg office.

it may now be registered of coarse and if it is then i'd go for the full job, very romantic, scottish piper, guard of honour, the anvil ect and a wonderful old wooden coach (stagecoach type thing) in the blacksmiths shop

as for the serious side, i dont know of any campsites ect but there is sure to be some very close by.

someone will be along to tell you more.

best of luck,

john.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lindyloot

LIFE MEMBER
May 28, 2008
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
Exp
since 2007
Hi Ann, Rich and I were married at the Black Smiths cottage in Gretna Green in 2006. This was before we had a MH. We used a company called Gretna One stop weddings. which we found through google. They do wedding packages, from very basic up to all singing all dancing.
We did not tell anyone we were doing this and the company provide the witness' our wedding coordinator and the photographer.
As\we had both been married before and had the "big white" do we just wanted to keep it simple. I can highly recommend them. The lady that works for this company also runs a B & B, very nice, lovely bridal suite with flowers champagne and chocolates all complimentary. The pub next door does good food as well.
As for the journey, we travelled up in one day from Yeovil. We left about 9 or 10 am to avoid the rush hour around Bristol and stopped a couple of times on the way and arrived about 1/4 to 5 in the afternoon.
Congratulatons and good luck:thumb:
Lin and Rich

C

Caravanning

Deleted User
Hello All!,

Keep motoring!

Anne & Rob

Can't give you any advice, but congratulations anyway. Don't forget to post up some photos of the big day.

fyggy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
In a brick built
Funster No
MH
Merc 316CDi
Exp
I stopped in Gretna last year, can't for the life of me remember the site name that I stayed on, but it was good and had power available
IMG_0016.jpg

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Anne,

We live 5 miles up the road from Gretna. Any help give me a shout.

I under stand you still have to do the official thing at Gretna Reg. office, as we found out when asked to be witnesses while shopping in Gretna recently. :Cool:

Fyggy's camp site mentioned above is I think The Braids on the outskirts of Gretna, never used it of course. Another site a little further afield is Cressfield Caravan site, see my signature for the link. :thumb:

Keith

NEV3

Free Member
Feb 11, 2008
North East Wales
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 1996
Hi Anne,

My wife and I made an unscheduled stop ar Gretna Green a few years back, arriving late afternoon as most things were closing up. We parked up on the coach park and a very nice security man said we could stay overnight (free) so long as we didn't want to get out during the night as the gates would be locked. We took him up on his offer and had a very nice meal at a local restaraunt. (can't remember the name). There is also a dump point that the larger coaches use.

Don't know if this facility is still available, (or even if it was officialy, then) but worth considering.

All the very best of luck to you both!

NEV3

fyggy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
In a brick built
Funster No
MH
Merc 316CDi
Exp
Hi Anne,

I under stand you still have to do the official thing at Gretna Reg. office, as we found out when asked to be witnesses while shopping in Gretna recently. :Cool:

Fyggy's camp site mentioned above is I think The Braids on the outskirts of Gretna, never used it of course. Another site a little further afield is Cressfield Caravan site, see my signature for the link. :thumb:

Keith

that's the one:thumb:

Supertractorman

Free Member
Sep 7, 2007
Funster No
Have used the Braids Caravan Site many times. Nice and clean with hotel next door.( They used to give out discount meal vouchers on the site for two local hotels ). Situated near the centre of Gretna so in easy walking distance of all amenities.
Enjoy yourselves.

David

OP
OP
A

Anne

Deleted User
A mighty big thanks!

:thumb:

Well, guys thats for all your replies ... Rob and I certainly intend to read them thru closely and see whats best for us...

We dont want a big fuss - so if your any where near Gretna next August time - watch out we may approach you as witness's!

Thanks Again! :winky:

OP
OP
A

Anne

Deleted User
hi anne and rob,

are you marrying at gretna or planning to visit?

my bro got hitched at gretna a number of years ago.

the old blacksmiths shop wasnt registered for weddings back then but they had a blessing there after the reg office.

it may now be registered of coarse and if it is then i'd go for the full job, very romantic, scottish piper, guard of honour, the anvil ect and a wonderful old wooden coach (stagecoach type thing) in the blacksmiths shop

as for the serious side, i dont know of any campsites ect but there is sure to be some very close by.

someone will be along to tell you more.

best of luck,

john.

We are getting wed - most like the end of August next year, I looked on the internet and it mentions the blacksmiths cottage, which sounds and looks fab,, I've rec'd some sound replies... so who could ask for more!
Thanks again,,,,,
Anne & Rob :thumb:

OP
OP
A

Anne

Deleted User
Have used the Braids Caravan Site many times. Nice and clean with hotel next door.( They used to give out discount meal vouchers on the site for two local hotels ). Situated near the centre of Gretna so in easy walking distance of all amenities.
Enjoy yourselves.

David

Hi David,
Sounds ideal, they must have a website - will google it tomorrow night and see what I can find! Thanks for your help! Anne

OP
OP
A

Anne

Deleted User
Snap!

Hi Ann, Rich and I were married at the Black Smiths cottage in Gretna Green in 2006. This was before we had a MH. We used a company called Gretna One stop weddings. which we found through google. They do wedding packages, from very basic up to all singing all dancing.
We did not tell anyone we were doing this and the company provide the witness' our wedding coordinator and the photographer.
As\we had both been married before and had the "big white" do we just wanted to keep it simple. I can highly recommend them. The lady that works for this company also runs a B & B, very nice, lovely bridal suite with flowers champagne and chocolates all complimentary. The pub next door does good food as well.
As for the journey, we travelled up in one day from Yeovil. We left about 9 or 10 am to avoid the rush hour around Bristol and stopped a couple of times on the way and arrived about 1/4 to 5 in the afternoon.
Congratulatons and good luck:thumb:
Lin and Rich

Hi Lin & Rich, I looked on their website and actually thought the blacksmiths cottage is perfect, and looks idillic, I'll contact Gretna One Stop, I'm sure I should find it on google! Will let you know how I get on! Many thanks,,,,, Anne & Rob

OP
OP
A

Anne

Deleted User
Possible witness's?

Hi Anne,

Keith

Hi Keith, Thanks for your reply,,, just 5 miles from Gretna eh? You dont't fancy being our witness's do you? :Doh: Just looked on the grenta site £30.00 for the witness's - and I dont know if that's both of them or each!! - We'd see you alright for a few bevvy's!! :ROFLMAO: Joking aside - if your about when we're there it would be nice to meet up, I dont expect we'll hang around for long as Rob is keen to get to the Lake district so he can get on with his fishing! Thanks for the sound advise, I'll be on the internet tomorrow night to see what I can find out! Anne

OP
OP
A

Anne

Deleted User
Thanks

Hi Anne,

My wife and I made an unscheduled stop ar Gretna Green a few years back, arriving late afternoon as most things were closing up. We parked up on the coach park and a very nice security man said we could stay overnight (free) so long as we didn't want to get out during the night as the gates would be locked. We took him up on his offer and had a very nice meal at a local restaraunt. (can't remember the name). There is also a dump point that the larger coaches use.

Don't know if this facility is still available, (or even if it was officialy, then) but worth considering.

All the very best of luck to you both!

NEV3

Hi Nev, thanks for the info,,, if it's free its always worth looking into (thats what Rob says anyway)! Can't argue can I ? :RollEyes: With so much great info I have lots to be browsing google for...... thanks once again! Anne

OP
OP
A

Anne

Deleted User
Photos

Can't give you any advice, but congratulations anyway. Don't forget to post up some photos of the big day.

Hi, Thanks anyway...I never go anywhere without the trusty camera, so believe me there will be lots of photos!!!!!! Anne :Cool:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi Keith, Thanks for your reply,,, just 5 miles from Gretna eh? You dont't fancy being our witness's do you? :Doh: Just looked on the grenta site £30.00 for the witness's - and I dont know if that's both of them or each!! - We'd see you alright for a few bevvy's!! :ROFLMAO: Joking aside - if your about when we're there it would be nice to meet up, I dont expect we'll hang around for long as Rob is keen to get to the Lake district so he can get on with his fishing! Thanks for the sound advise, I'll be on the internet tomorrow night to see what I can find out! Anne

Would be a pleasure Anne if we are around. Let us know nearer the time. :thumb:

As it's August you may find afew funsters up that way. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back