Fixing awning / draught skirt rails to MH (1 Viewer)

Danceswithwolves

Free Member
Apr 8, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie
Don't know if this has previously been covered ( I suspect it probably has )
I needed to fix awning & draught skirt rails to our new MH .
After hours of thinking about it & researching various products ( & prices )
I decided to go with the slimline anodised aluminium type rails with no screw holes.
I didn't want to be drilling holes and putting screws into the side panels to attach it & wasn't too keen on the colour of the aluminium when everything else on the side of the MH is white or black.
I measured out & cut the lengths needed then chamfered and rounded the leading ends with a disc sander.
I then spray painted them white using radiator paint which is non yellowing & very tough .
I marked the position of the rails onto the MH with small pencil marks making sure the area where the rails were to be fitted was very clean .
I then bonded the rails to the MH using HA6 rtv marine sealant / adhesive by Bond It . using a sealant gun, run a good bead of adhesive down the full length of the rail & carefully postion on the MH guided by the small pencil marks, then hold in position for a couple of minutes until the adhesive grabs. I then carefully run a thin bead top and bottom and smoothed it down with my finger tip.
End result is a superb neat & tidy job that blends in really well.
Leave to set for at least 12 hours before fitting anything to the rails.
The bond is really firm & no screw holes in your pride and joy :thumb:

OP
OP
Danceswithwolves

Danceswithwolves

Free Member
Apr 8, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie
Sorry , Im a newbie - How do you post pics :Confused:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry but silicone based sealants and glues dont work well long term on motorhomes. sikaflex 221 polyurethane is a better option

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry , Im a newbie - How do you post pics :Confused:
on the reply to thread page, there is a toolbar at the top above the text area. click on the icon of a picture and add its address. or scroll down and click manage attachments to upload from your computer:thumb:

OP
OP
Danceswithwolves

Danceswithwolves

Free Member
Apr 8, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie
sorry but silicone based sealants and glues dont work well long term on motorhomes. sikaflex 221 polyurethane is a better option

Its not silicone based - its a marine sealant / adhesive that's uv & salt water resistant and unaffected by extreme temperatures ( -60c to +200c )
Sikaflex 221 = ÂŁ12 a tube or Bond It HA6 = ÂŁ3.58 a tube .

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Don't know if this has previously been covered ( I suspect it probably has )
I needed to fix awning & draught skirt rails to our new MH .
After hours of thinking about it & researching various products ( & prices )
I decided to go with the slimline anodised aluminium type rails with no screw holes.
I didn't want to be drilling holes and putting screws into the side panels to attach it & wasn't too keen on the colour of the aluminium when everything else on the side of the MH is white or black.
I measured out & cut the lengths needed then chamfered and rounded the leading ends with a disc sander.
I then spray painted them white using radiator paint which is non yellowing & very tough .
I marked the position of the rails onto the MH with small pencil marks making sure the area where the rails were to be fitted was very clean .
I then bonded the rails to the MH using HA6 rtv marine sealant / adhesive by Bond It . using a sealant gun, run a good bead of adhesive down the full length of the rail & carefully postion on the MH guided by the small pencil marks, then hold in position for a couple of minutes until the adhesive grabs. I then carefully run a thin bead top and bottom and smoothed it down with my finger tip.
End result is a superb neat & tidy job that blends in really well.
Leave to set for at least 12 hours before fitting anything to the rails.
The bond is really firm & no screw holes in your pride and joy :thumb:

Sounds like a good job.
Would love to see some pics.
By the way welcome :welcomefunster:

OP
OP
Danceswithwolves

Danceswithwolves

Free Member
Apr 8, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie

Attachments

• awning rail.jpg
    awning rail.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 391
  • rsz_draught_skirt_rail.jpg
    rsz_draught_skirt_rail.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 405
  • rsz_draught_skirt_rail_2.jpg
    rsz_draught_skirt_rail_2.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 406

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Good job that looks really neat
pete

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi 'Wolfie' ::bigsmile: ! Welcome to the fun house! :thumb:

Nice job there, I also wanted a draught skirt for our PVC conversion but I couldn't fit a rail due to us having a sliding door and there being no room under it to put one, so instead I made the following:

I used the bottom section of an old awning (about 18" high including the 6" 'plastic skirt material' on the bottom) - I had to join 2 pieces together so it was long enough to run the length of the awning that we use. I then folded over the top of the material to make a 1 inch slot running along the full length (this reduced the height to about 15") and threaded through some heavy duty elastic which I pulled tight so it was under tension. I sewed the elastic to the material it at each end of the slot to stop it 'disappearing' back into it when it was let go! I left some excess elastic sticking out and made a couple of large 'loops' to thread straps/bungee cords into. As I used the bottom of an existing awning it already has some pegging straps attached, so I just added a couple more and also some eyelets in the 'plastic skirt' part.

To secure it to the van I used elastic with hooks on the end (a bungee cord of a suitable length would do though) - at the front I hook it onto the wheel arch behind the front wheel, and at the rear it hooks onto the back of the rear wheel arch (there's a nicely located bolt!). I use tent pegs for the straps and mushroom type pegs through the eyelets to hold it down to the ground. In addition I also used a few strong bulldog clips to holds the top to the underside lip of the van so it didn't get trapped in the sliding door although I have now got some nice strong plastic clips to replace these which won't cause any damage to the material as bulldog clips could tear it.

I used it when we went to the Newark show and despite it being very gusty and the 'skirt' being on the receiving side of the wind which was coming under the van, it worked a treat keeping the cold wind out of our awning totally.

The only downside is that the electric step can't be used as it is covered by the skirt but we have a plastic folding step which does just as well. :Smile:

OP
OP
Danceswithwolves

Danceswithwolves

Free Member
Apr 8, 2014
Barnsley
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Im a newbie
Just thought I would mention, The full length bottom draught skirt is grey and 5.2m long to match the awning. The top of the wheel arch section ( tag axle ) is covered by a white piece of vinyl connected to the bottom skirt with plastic figure of 8 track & fastened to the MH at the top by 3 studs with 3M adhesive white discs that stay on the vehicle.
Nice neat & tidy job if I say so myself - :coolthumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just thought I would mention, The full length bottom draught skirt is grey and 5.2m long to match the awning. The top of the wheel arch section ( tag axle ) is covered by a white piece of vinyl connected to the bottom skirt with plastic figure of 8 track & fastened to the MH at the top by 3 studs with 3M adhesive white discs that stay on the vehicle.
Nice neat & tidy job if I say so myself - :coolthumb:

Flipping heck, on here five minutes and already getting cocky!!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Suecclassic

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Wilton
Exp
Since 2008
I would also like to know where you got the rails from and the other elements. It looks like you have done first class job.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Looks like a solution for us too, wonder how top rail will cope with the weight of an awning though. don't know how supportive silkaflex or what you used is. Like the idea of the radiator paint too, wonder if it is available in other colours.
Well done, neat job
Bungy DL we got rail from a local caravan repair place.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
nice job . I used screws to fit mine. but it is 1990, vintage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back