pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi, as the title says, is has done ever since we've had the rv (2000 chevy dutchmen express 3500, 7.4 V8) I have tried beefing the bulbs up because we only have the 5w capless in the front and normal wattage at the back. I added another 21w bulb as well, to see if it slowed down but it didn't. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Assuming its an old bi-metallic flasher your going the wrong way. These units flash at a rate proportional to the load. The more watts, the more current, the faster the flash rate.

Change the 21 watt for a 5 watt

OP
OP
pij974

pij974

Free Member
Mar 17, 2008
Wellingborough, Northants
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Assuming its an old bi-metallic flasher your going the wrong way. These units flash at a rate proportional to the load. The more watts, the more current, the faster the flash rate.

Change the 21 watt for a 5 watt

Thanks shortcircuit, I have not got any capped 5w bulbs, but I took the 21w bulb out and it immediately slowed to normal speed. I am not sure that the 5w bulbs are bright enough though, especially on the front. Also when I have the car on the back with the trailer board on, the speed will go up again surely? I suppose led's may be the answer, but seems a lot of work. Can you not get replacement flasher units?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Yes, they will go up with the trailer board.

I cant advise on a replacement but somebody will come on

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Anyone:help:

certainly sounds like a faulty unit to me...it does happen even from new.

can i suggest you PM Lindy C (Stateside tuning).

she may have a flasher unit in stock.

if that dont work you have a spare unit for when you need it. :thumb:

john.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Why dont you power the rear indicators and light board through a relay instead?? That will reduce the load to 1/2 and not be effected by the trailer board lights :winky:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
My RV Had 2 identical units fitted.
One for the indicators and one for the hazards.
Just a matter of swapping them over to eliminate as a problem area.

As it happened it turned out the connectors had gone High resistance and a clean sorted the problem.

Often just removing and replacing the connectors does the trick.:thumb:

Steve.

PS I had tried EVERYTHING up to that point.

Moral of the story for me was ....Never overlook the obvious.A lesson learned for me.:Doh:

Last edited:

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Why dont you power the rear indicators and light board through a relay instead?? That will reduce the load to 1/2 and not be effected by the trailer board lights :winky:

This is only hiding a problem that exists.

The trailer board should be powered from a relay to provide a warning buzzer when indicators are used. The relay I fitted required an independant supply and only got a signal current from the indicators which did not upset the flash rate.

As AD has suggested, it may simply be a bad connection. Try your connections at the relay first and then work back from there.

Floozie2

Free Member
Feb 29, 2008
Videix, France
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
9 years
Interesting thread as I've got the same problem on my 2001 Journey. I had thought that it could have been created in the course of the UK conversion. Originally, the rear indicators and lights would have been the US norm, with two pairs of red tail lights and each pair flashing when indicating. Now I have a pair of red lights and a pair of amber, but now the load has gone from two bulbs to one on the indicators. (Everyone following me - I think I may be lost:Smile:) My thought was, the flasher unt thinks it's got a bulb out and flashers quicker as a result because of the missing load.

However, the info in this thread means I'm going to sticking my head into the dashboard and having a look at the units. I'll let you know how I get on and I'd be interested what anyone has to say about my theory!
Cheers

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Interesting thread as I've got the same problem on my 2001 Journey. I had thought that it could have been created in the course of the UK conversion. Originally, the rear indicators and lights would have been the US norm, with two pairs of red tail lights and each pair flashing when indicating. Now I have a pair of red lights and a pair of amber, but now the load has gone from two bulbs to one on the indicators. (Everyone following me - I think I may be lost:Smile:) My thought was, the flasher unt thinks it's got a bulb out and flashers quicker as a result because of the missing load.

However, the info in this thread means I'm going to sticking my head into the dashboard and having a look at the units. I'll let you know how I get on and I'd be interested what anyone has to say about my theory!
Cheers

:Cool: We have converted 3 RV's to MOT standards and had no flasher problems. :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back