Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Bird Box

I have a box on my garage wall facing North
Never had any birds even look at it.:Eeek:
Is it facing the wrong way or what ???????????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I bought a nest box in Aldi a few months ago, it was out in the rain for two weeks and the roof trim came apart:Doh::Angry:
I will fix it up and put it out in the autumn this year, with any luck they might use it next Spring.

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I have a box on my garage wall facing North
Never had any birds even look at it.:Eeek:
Is it facing the wrong way or what ???????????

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/helpingbirds/nestboxes/smallbirds/siting.aspx
Unless there are trees or buildings which shade the box during the day, face the box between north and east, thus avoiding strong sunlight and the wettest winds.

Not sure if the link will work, but the RSPB suggest putting the boxes in place in the autumn..........I'll try fixing mine and put it in place then.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We've had a nest box in our garden for years and for the first 4 or 5 we had blue tits nesting and rearing young. However, for the past 3 years they have turned up at the start of the nesting season, done some preparation work, then disappeared without laying. They're here at the moment but I don't expect them to stay.
As an aside, we have changed the seed in our feeders to sunflower hearts as these don't germinate when they drop on the garden. A by product of this has been that we now have Goldfinches and Greefinches in the garden.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Birds seem to nest where the fancy takes them !!

This was taken 2 years ago in one of the Honda Blackbird workshops at the end of the garden
Constant flow of folk in and out, banging, welding and general motorcycle related mayhem all around !!
Broken Link Removed

Attachments

• bird in nest in shed.jpg
    bird in nest in shed.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 78

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our neighbours have a blackbird that nests in the wheel arch of their car every year! Luckily they have two cars.

We have a robin that nests in our garage getting in through an old drain. She adores my DH and follows him round both garden and garage - and has even been known to get in the car if he doesn't close the car door fast enough. I do feel a bit sorry for her as she follows the car down the drive.

When we moved here there were no birds at all and now we have hundreds. The yellow hammers are my particular favourite although I like and feed them all.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
A few years ago we had a blackbird nest in out bayleaf tree (lollipop) on our front doorstep. Once the eggs had hatched the parents would not be bothered if you where standing on the step they would just fly round you, within few inches of your head to feed their young. Unfortunately the crows got all the chicks once they fledged :Sad:
This morning I saw a blackbird taking nesting material into the bayleaf tree , yeah:thumb:

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
posh ens darn here

keep picking buddys fur up
( him of the avatar)
and poetic licence draws em in sir

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
We've had a nest box in our garden for years and for the first 4 or 5 we had blue tits nesting and rearing young. However, for the past 3 years they have turned up at the start of the nesting season, done some preparation work, then disappeared without laying. They're here at the moment but I don't expect them to stay.
As an aside, we have changed the seed in our feeders to sunflower hearts as these don't germinate when they drop on the garden. A by product of this has been that we now have Goldfinches and Greefinches in the garden.

We to have changed to sunflower hearts quite a bit more expensive but the amount of birds goldfinches, greenfinches, chaffinches, siskins, bramblings ,blue tits the odd woodpecker green and spotted and then the bottom feeders doves, pigeons and robin Blackbird and the odd pheasant.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back