Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
We acknowledge receipt of your recent correspondence with thanks and would be obliged if you could note our comments below.

With can advise that your policy for vehicle registration WA11 KHE was a non-no claims bonus rated policy meaning nil no claims bonus was earned on this policy.

Just had this from my previous company Adrian Flux after I asked for a copy of my no claims discount. Never heard of this and I cannot remember reading anything about.

Confused...................so all the no claims I thought I had built up has gone tits up????

OP
OP
M

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
What do you mean a second vehicle, my other vehicle is my car which is insured through Tesco with 75% no claims bonus, nothing to do with my motorhome

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi if you have only had this policy for 1 yr you can still keep your no claims bonuis -- all it means is the policy they sold you did not add ant more NCB so if you had say 3 yrs when you took it out you still only have 3 yrs NCB or if you had full NCB you will still have it :thumb: If you have had this policy over 2 yrs you will loose all your NCB unless you asked them to keep it current :Smile:It is used by them to try and confuse you into simply renewing with them :winky:You can ask the previous insurer for your proof of NCB and ask AF to send you proof that you had no accidents while they had you on cover --not exactly the most efficent co to deal with unless you are staying with them :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I think the NCB may be linked to the driver rather than the vehicle so if there are 2 vehicles, the insurer may or may not 'mirror' the NCB on another vehicle owned by them.

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
You can only have an official no claims bonus on one vehicle. Some insurers will recognise it as an introductory bonus but you are effectively starting again unless you transfer your NCB from tesco and take the hit (not literally I hope) with the car insurance. Either way only one NCB allowed

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
Comfort Insurance pulled this stunt with me when I wanted to switch, however I demanded and received a letter from them indicating that I had (so many) years no claims when I joined them and I had been claim free whilst with them. This was accepted by my new insurance company.

:Cool:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I think the NCB may be linked to the driver rather than the vehicle so if there are 2 vehicles, the insurer may or may not 'mirror' the NCB on another vehicle owned by them.

nope it will be linked to both driver and vehicle :winky:

--- you could have a accident in 1 vehicle and loose say 20 % ncb on that but still retain full ncb on your MH

terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can only have an official no claims bonus on one vehicle. Some insurers will recognise it as an introductory bonus but you are effectively starting again unless you transfer your NCB from tesco and take the hit (not literally I hope) with the car insurance. Either way only one NCB allowed

not true read above :winky: also see mariner post
terry

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
nope it will be linked to both driver and vehicle :winky:

--- you could have a accident in 1 vehicle and loose say 20 % ncb on that but still retain full ncb on your MH

terry

Oh..OK..but you do have to declare any accidents in any vehicle when taking out insurance, don't you? I presume they would 'adjust' the premium according to your answer to that. (sorry if that's 'off topic')

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It does happen and is becoming more common and it will affect your no claims bonus.
If you have used an insurance company within the last 2 years which has used the no claims allowance then you will be able to get a letter confirming how many years you have.
For one year I used a broker who used what they call I believe the net premium method and refused to give me a letter advising the fact that I had told them that I had 9 years no claims bonus.
Fortunately I was within the 2 year period from the previous company and I have kept the 9 years no claims allowance.

Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
many of the motorhome policies sold use a NCD which mirrors any NCD you have on your main vehicle. usually a NCD from a car can be used on the motorhome policy. however it does not accrue more discount in its own right and any claim on either vehicle will directly affect the other.

you can get round this by insuring a car by say the husband and the motorhome in the wifes name as primary drivers. please note i am not being sexist and other social domestic partnerships may also fit this model with partner 1 and partner 2 being used in substitute for husband and wife.:ROFLMAO:

seriously annoying but cheaper than having no NCD applied to a policy or it would cost thousands

mariner

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2013
Isle of Dogs, but mostly Artola Spain.
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Since 2007. But no more.
The point is that if you go to a Broker which uses this Net Premium system then you must retain your proof of No Claims Letter from your previous insurer and demand a letter indicating that you have not made a claim whilst with that Broker.

Personally I would not touch Comfort with a Barge Pole.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Oh..OK..but you do have to declare any accidents in any vehicle when taking out insurance, don't you? I presume they would 'adjust' the premium according to your answer to that. (sorry if that's 'off topic')

quite right but they usually don't penalize you :winky:::bigsmile:-hopefully ::bigsmile:
terry

OP
OP
M

milpol1

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
Earth
Funster No
MH
2013 Hymer
Exp
Since 2011
The point is that if you go to a Broker which uses this Net Premium system then you must retain your proof of No Claims Letter from your previous insurer and demand a letter indicating that you have not made a claim whilst with that Broker.

Personally I would not touch Comfort with a Barge Pole.

It was Adrian Flux

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Insured a little Honda bike with Adrian Flux's bike division because I had a £30 off voucher from the dealer, never again, treated me like a criminal idiot

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Insurances

Just had home & contents renewal from Saga @ £174.
On Compare the Market it was £116.
One phone call and I got it for ---------- £116

Renewal for car from Saga---£269
Best one on Compare the Market was Post Office @ £175 but still looking as not due till 1 May

Thankfully motor home not due yet.

geo glasgow

Free Member
Feb 2, 2014
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail cheyenne
Exp
Go with Frank Pickles best on the market

best extras best price, very good ,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
best extras best price, very good ,
No good for replacement glass cover if you have an A Class MH. They told me that the maximum glass cover was £500. A windscreen alone on an older A Class is upward of £2000, rising to about £8000 (apparently) if you've got one of these.

We are with Comfort, so I'll be giving them a quick ring later to enquire about the NCB.

Cheers,

Jock.

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Insurance seems to be turning into a minefield these days. I wish they'd just insure the person with the option of driving any vehicle upto a certain value limit which you can choose eg £25000 or £50000 as long as you have a license to drive it and no need to renew your policy when you change your vehicle as long as the value is within the limit :Smile: If Only :pray:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
Well we certainly need change here in the UK :Smile:

Another thing, I would be nice if I could buy my policy directly from Spain or any other European country that had a better deal/reward for loyalty! (Thats what joining the Euro should be about) ;)

Last edited:

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
I am with Hertz, the same company as the lady I bought my first motor home from, up to now I have found them very good and much cheaper than elsewhere, as I sold my Volvo estate when I bought the MH the no claims where transferred over to MH, as I was told you can have only one no claims, I have the maximum NC, as the MH is my everyday vehicle it wasn`t an issue for me, I do have a named driver on my policy, just in case for some reason it will be needed.

So if I had another vehicle and still have the MH I would have to start from scratch without a no claims discount. That is how it has always been unless you have a multi vehicle policy, not sure how that works.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I am with Hertz, the same company as the lady I bought my first motor home from, up to now I have found them very good and much cheaper than elsewhere, as I sold my Volvo estate when I bought the MH the no claims where transferred over to MH, as I was told you can have only one no claims, I have the maximum NC, as the MH is my everyday vehicle it wasn`t an issue for me, I do have a named driver on my policy, just in case for some reason it will be needed.

So if I had another vehicle and still have the MH I would have to start from scratch without a no claims discount. That is how it has always been unless you have a multi vehicle policy, not sure how that works.

Nope DM if you had kept the Volvo you would have had to insure that as well keeping both vehicles insured you would keep two lots of ncb --yes if you now bought a car it would start from scratch unless you found a insurance co to mirror the ncb on the MH which would give you a yrs full NCB on the car as a introductory offer but at the end of the yr you would only get 1 yrs ncb if you moved elsewhere -clear as mud ::bigsmile:-you simply transferred your NCB TO THE VAN AS YOU NO LONGER NEEDED IT FOR THE CAR (oooops sorry for caps) You acquire a NCB on each vehicle you insure :thumb:
terry

catt600

Free Member
Apr 5, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Nope DM if you had kept the Volvo you would have had to insure that as well keeping both vehicles insured you would keep two lots of ncb --yes if you now bought a car it would start from scratch unless you found a insurance co to mirror the ncb on the MH which would give you a yrs full NCB on the car as a introductory offer but at the end of the yr you would only get 1 yrs ncb if you moved elsewhere -clear as mud ::bigsmile:-you simply transferred your NCB TO THE VAN AS YOU NO LONGER NEEDED IT FOR THE CAR (oooops sorry for caps) You acquire a NCB on each vehicle you insure :thumb:
terry

Terry is totally correct. NCB is linked to the policy and not the vehicle or person. I have a car and motorbike (two policies), both with maximum NCB. Pick up my first MH in 3 weeks so just about to sort out a third insurance policy.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry is totally correct. NCB is linked to the policy and not the vehicle or person. I have a car and motorbike (two policies), both with maximum NCB. Pick up my first MH in 3 weeks so just about to sort out a third insurance policy.

Don't forget to get them to MIRROR your full NCB from you car-they prob not do it from the bike :winky:
terry
BTW Welcome

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back