Free Member
Oct 1, 2013
Bolton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Im a newbie
I was thinking of purchasing the Tyrepal system which warns of punctures, tyres overheating etc ,
Has i have 6 wheels and no spare only an inflation kit
So I wanted to know if any members where using one and what they thought about them???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be wrong and thinking of another system but i believe the valve caps are a throw-away item once the transmitter batteries are flat.

As they are wireless they could be susceptable to RF interference.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Vote for TyrePal

I have been using TyrePal for about 3 years both on the motorhome and on the toad and would not now be without it.

The system gave me an instant warning recently when I had a rear wheel puncture on a dual carriageway at 60mph as soon as the pressure dropped by 2 or 3 psi allowing plenty of time to pull over.

The on-board monitor is rechargeable and can be run directly from 12v socket. The wheel sensors have small batteries which I change each year.

Highly recommended:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
been running with a tx22 tyrepal system for nearly 2yrs. just had to order another sensor today as one appears to have developed a fault.
in the main its worked fine once you establish a satisfactory target pressure. remember to start with I got a few overpressure warnings.. and in cold weather a few no signal warnings from the sensors which cleared when it warmed up..
you will also have to check the sensor lock rings regularly especially in winter as they can corrode quickly if not maintained. and you will know its not a cheap system to fit.... regards andy

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have just fitted tyrepal with the flow through sensors as our Flair has twin rear wheels on the rear axle and I wanted to hide the sensors inside the stainless wheel trims and not have the sensors vulnerable to being damaged or nicked.

Works well and easy to set up.

Martin

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi Bazil i thought you would of had enough problems to deal with without adding any extra:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Fitted to my new van about 6 weeks ago.Twice I have had high pressure warnings which gave me a bit of a fright.Still don't know why it happened though.After pulling over and checking the tyres ,started up and all were normal again.Might gave peace of mind and warn about low pressures,but can't think how you can suddenly get high pressure?

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
As they are wireless they could be susceptable to RF interference.

So are there hard wired tyre pressure monitoring systems?

I have factory fitted TPMS on two cars. One gives the PSI on each tyre. The other just flashes a red light if there is a leak.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi Sidney, the aftermarket systems we are on about use wireless valve attachments to send a signal to a monitor in the cab. they use a small button type battery which has to be replaced from time to time.

ovalball im sure you know the tyre pressure rises by a few pounds after driving and on a hot day even more. my system requires you to set a target pressure and this sets the level for the low pressure and high pressure alarm.. if its set too low you may well get the odd high pressure warning . I did and I seem to remember it was more prone to do so if driving at higher speeds :RollEyes:. I still get the odd spurious reading and never really know why but on balance it gives peace of mind. (and saves climbing under the van to keep checking the spare as often ::bigsmile: )

ta andyy

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I've had a tyre blow-out, luckily it didn't cause an accident or do any damage. I'll be getting a typepal as I'd rather have a few false warnings than another blowout.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
So are there hard wired tyre pressure monitoring systems?

I have factory fitted TPMS on two cars. One gives the PSI on each tyre. The other just flashes a red light if there is a leak.

I have had problems with tyre failure on a mercedes and it turns out the tyre pressures are monitored by the rotation sensors for the ABS antiskid system, if a tyre is flat the rotation difference on the axle triggers the tyre flat system, nothing to do with pressure monitoring.

strange but true

neill

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
hi Sidney, the aftermarket systems we are on about use wireless valve attachments to send a signal to a monitor in the cab. they use a small button type battery which has to be replaced from time to time.

Thanks Andy. I know TyrePal, they're on the same trading estate as me.
I asked Pappajohn for details of an alternative to a RF system as I can't see how you can have a wired TPMS as the wheels revolve :Blush:

All of these systems are expensive but I'd buy them for my MH long before I would buy tyre safety bands.

I recently replaced the four sensors on my car which set me back over £500 and takes some time (removing tyre from wheel, replacing sensor, refitting tyre and re balancing). These last six years and once one battery is dead you throw all four away :Eeek:

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I have had problems with tyre failure on a mercedes and it turns out the tyre pressures are monitored by the rotation sensors for the ABS antiskid system, if a tyre is flat the rotation difference on the axle triggers the tyre flat system, nothing to do with pressure monitoring.

strange but true

neill

Ah clever, that's what my BMW has then. The other has a full-blown TPMS

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
Fitted to my new van about 6 weeks ago.Twice I have had high pressure warnings which gave me a bit of a fright.Still don't know why it happened though.After pulling over and checking the tyres ,started up and all were normal again.Might gave peace of mind and warn about low pressures,but can't think how you can suddenly get high pressure?
High pressure readings I would take as an indication that the tyre is underinflated. As you know the tyre must flex it's internal cords more when it distorts at the contact point with the road if it is overloaded or under inflated, speed of travel also has this effect. This is why the advice of increasing tyre pressures when fully loaded or travelling at motorway speeds should be adhered to.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I'm seriously considering a Tyrepal TC215B system for Udo.

I have full blown TPMS on my Range Rover and do enjoy the peace of mind it gives.

For Udo, the higher pressures and higher consequences of a blowout do concern me. Plus it saves having to unscrew his stainless wheel trims to check pressures.

I'm talking myself into it, but I'm struggling to find a reason not to purchase.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I talked myself into buying one of these systems yesterday (BH Monday), trouble is I'm off to France:france: Thursday. I ordered it from Tyrepal and paid the extra for express delivery. It was dispatched today so hopeful of getting it tomorrow.:Smile:

I like the idea of being able to monitor the temperature as one tyre running hot would be cause for concern.

The system is not really expensive, as it costs less than one tyre, so detecting a puncture/leak before it's gone flat enough to wreck the tyre could instantly pay for it.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
I ordered the system I mentioned above and fitted it at the weekend.

Slight early worry when the unit wouldn't acknowledge any of the sensors, but this was my fault because you've got to power the monitor first and then screw in the valve sensors. I did it the other way around (by not reading the instruction manual and relying on blind logic...). :Doh:

Anyway, once installed in the correct sequence, it all worked beautifully. Setting low and high alarms was easy and I relied on the instruction manual's advice to leave the temperature alarm set at 70'C.

My only gripe is the bracket doesn't have enough adjustability when using the suction mount. It currently sits on top of my dashboard a good 6" above the dash. There's no facility to lower it other than by using the screw-down bracket.

I'll sort this by moving the monitor to the left of my dash once I wire in another 12v socket. That way, the monitor is discreetly out of the way but still visible.

That aside, I'm (so far) very pleased with it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back