Overnight A43 Oxford Northampton area (1 Viewer)

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Looking for somewhere cheap to stop for a few hours kip on the way back home from Portsmouth.
Because of the time the ferry docks I reckon somewhere along the A43 will be as far as we get before it gets too late to start looking.
Anybody got any recommendations?
We will be stopping only to sleep, won't need to fill up empty out or hook up or anything else!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would say any lay-by where there are lorries parked:thumb:

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
Come off the A34 just before the M40 signed "Weston on the Green".Plenty of old lay byes along here Keep on this road through "Middleton Stoney" CAUTION SPEED CAMERA.
If you cannot find a lay bye along there,you will come to junction 10-M40 cross over onto A43,super big old lay bye about two islands up towards Brackley (Jugernaut recommended) . In Brackley itself,there are various Ind estates.park up spots,but you may find yourself sharing with some of "Darlingtons favourite Knights of the road ?" Dickinsons Transport. BE WARNED. do NOT go for a swift half with any of them,you will be so far over the breathaliser,you won't be able to drive for 3 days.
If you REALLY want a meal and see how the other half of the Juggernaut jockeys live,go and park up at "Jacks Hill Cafe! A5 north 200yds from Towcester,you can kip there as well,but may need to have a swift half at Brackley,to sleep through the noise of fridge boxes running:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Go on,you know your WORTH IT.
Tea Bag ex J.Jockey:winky::winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
3 questions
1) what are the dates - traffic in that area horrendous around Grand Prix time
2) how long is the m/h as know a v friendly pub with brilliant food but dont have a big car park and are considering joining brit stops and a v m/h friendly
3) how far off route are you happy to consider

tip - do not stop at the M40 services at Oxford (j8) or Ardley (j10), they have heavy fines for over 2 hour stays, although they do have parking, just not sure what the charges are

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi
PS.
As you come off of the A34 towards Weston on the green,not to far on your left is a pub called the Chequers i think. Have called in there when dressed up (Best overalls) NO !! it is a nice place and had a nice meal,maybe if your POSH and have LOADS of money you could ask the landlord/Patron if you could catch forty winks in his car park ?:winky::winky:
Tea Bag
PS, Tried to edit first post.......... FAILED:Eeek: (So whats new there then?)

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017

This coming Friday. 11 April

2) how long is the m/h as know a v friendly pub with brilliant food but dont have a big car park and are considering joining brit stops and a v m/h friendly

9metres so need a couple of acres to turn around!

a few miles but don't want to go wandering down too many country roads!

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Hi.
In Brackley itself,there are various Ind estates.park up spots,but you may find yourself sharing with some of "Darlingtons favourite Knights of the road ?" Dickinsons Transport. BE WARNED. do NOT go for a swift half with any of them,you will be so far over the breathaliser,you won't be able to drive for 3 days.

Ha ha. Used to live just outside Darlo so know what you mean. Fortunately I never have to worry about being breathalysed as I can't drive due to poor eyesight. Gwen does all the driving!:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
May not get internet for a couple of days while travelling to Bilbao so don't be surprised if I am unable to Thank any further replies straight away!

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We've just been on the CC site at Bladons Chase right next door to Blenheim Palace on the A44 Woodstock Road, not far off your route. On the slip road leading to the CC site entrance between the A4095 Bladon Road and the A44 is provision for coach parking, probably for Churchill's grave at Bladon but we saw lorries parked up overnight last week. Some daytime traffic take a short cut but most find it easier to do a left turn on the roundabout for Woodstock so you shouldn't get much overnight. You could always tell anyone you're waiting for the site to open. :roflmto:

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
If youre coming up the A34 use the carpark by the river in Abingdon - one of the few places that allows overnighting

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes

This coming Friday. 11 April

9metres so need a couple of acres to turn around!

a few miles but don't want to go wandering down too many country roads!

Sorry none of my ideas are going to be suitable then, real shame. Looks like plenty of ideas coming through though.

Jim and Lorraine

Free Member
Nov 10, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If youre coming up the A34 use the carpark by the river in Abingdon - one of the few places that allows overnighting

Hi 15 Edward,

I am also looking for an overnight, do you have the coordinates or a street name for this car park.

Jim

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi 15 Edward,

I am also looking for an overnight, do you have the coordinates or a street name for this car park.

Jim

N51°40'2"
E1°16'39" Bridge st Abingdon

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
our other stop over in that area ( Mother in law used be there) is through East Hendred up to the Ridgeway parking but its a bit of trek off the A417 right through East Hendred.
We loved waking up there and always felt secure with the local Nuclear Police routine check through the night!! ( Harlows just below)

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hi.
Come off the A34 just before the M40 signed "Weston on the Green".Plenty of old lay byes along here recommended)

Along that road, between Weston and Middleton Stony, there are two decent lay bys that were regular spots for me in the old days.

But they soon fill up with trucks so choose your time carefully...

JJ :Cool:

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
hi I live and work at brackley
if you get as far as RAF croughton roundabout
at the next roundabout take the turning for Charlton its the frist turn off the roundabout go down that road about 1/2 a mile you will come to a small cross roads with a big parking area on your right just before the cross roads
hope this helps
sorry should of put not very much traffic

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
I put this coor into google and it comes up with Knordkapp in Norway the most furthest point in Northern Europe?????????????? or am I doing it wrong????????? Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Dont know mate, I got from campercontact, it gives co ords & street name,
hope its right,

Eric

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
I used to live in Brackley and was at a Rugby club reunion on Saturday. On the Friday we went for a pint in The Stratton Arms in the very pretty village of Turweston. They are apparently on Brit stops, they have a large place to park up and I believe hook up is available. I don't think they charge, and the beer is the best and cheapest in the area.
About 5 minutes off of the A43:thumb:

slimbob

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
northants
Funster No
MH
not yet
Exp
long time
I used to live in Brackley and was at a Rugby club reunion on Saturday. On the Friday we went for a pint in The Stratton Arms in the very pretty village of Turweston. They are apparently on Brit stops, they have a large place to park up and I believe hook up is available. I don't think they charge, and the beer is the best and cheapest in the area.
About 5 minutes off of the A43:thumb:

yes I know phil and liz very well phill does charge not sure how much and the car park gets very busy at w/ends

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
We have a large driveway in Thame, about 15 miles SW of Oxford

Thank you for that very kind offer. But I think we will try and push on a bit further so Gwen has a bit less driving to do on Saturday.
Hopefully we will meet up at aFun rally somewhere this summer!

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Thanks to all the responses to this thread.
We decided to stay at the Stratton Arms in Turweston simply because we couldn't be arsed to cook anything. We had an excellent meal and some good crack with the locals in the bar too. Our Motorhome was quite a topic of converstaion as it took up quite a lot of space in the car park.
If you are going to stay at this pub, get there ata reasonably early hour as the car park isn't big and the narrow roads in Turweston aren't suitable to park a MH.
Landlord is very friendly and didn't charge us for staying (just as well cos we spent plenty on food and drink:thumb:)
We scouted some of the lay-bys recommended by others and they do look handy. We might have used one if we hadn't fancied eating out.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Glad you enjoyed it, about time I could be of use on the forum:thumb:
I always seem to be asking questions:RollEyes:
Anyway will be in Chester this weekend with a few questions about going to Europe in 2 weeks time, sure to pxxx some people off:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back