Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi All
I was at the Motorhome show at Romsey over the weekend and I spotted that the 2014 frontier range of models had a gas strut as replacement to the pathetic plastic door retainer fitted to my 2011 Comanche, my question is does anyone know if these struts can be retrofitted as its imposable to have the door open even in a light breeze, I must say that Auto trail really have cocked up this one.
Even if it means that some of the internal trim will need replacing it will be worth it.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I don't know your model but if its anything like Swift they have replaced the Hartal door on recent models. The old (2012) had a sliding aluminium stay and it is RUBBISH.

Sadly the door is a complete redesign so I can't just buy a replacement stay. I may get something made by an engineering shop to replace the plastic slider on the door.

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Frying pan and fire comes to mind - I've got the gas strut on my new Tracker.........doesn't work and just about to book it in to be replaced hopefully with as strut that does work :Smile:

Also Dometic have had some problems with hab door frames, including ours, due to a supplier changing spec without advising them - resulting in cracks appearing near hab door hinge areas - resolution unit into dealers for door frame replacement under warranty ( 5 hour job) :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Frying pan and fire comes to mind - I've got the gas strut on my new Tracker.........doesn't work and just about to book it in to be replaced hopefully with as strut that does work :Smile:

Also Dometic have had some problems with hab door frames, including ours, due to a supplier changing spec without advising them - resulting in cracks appearing near hab door hinge areas - resolution unit into dealers for door frame replacement under warranty ( 5 hour job) :Sad:

oh gawd - sorry

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just had my habitation door replaced along with frame because of the swivel pin for the strut, when we took delivery noticed pin was at a rather jaunty angle. Tried to tighten it but thread in door frame obviously cross threaded and stripped. Week later the pin just pulled out when door opened by OH. I araldited it in till we could get it back to dealers.

The gas strut (not sure if it is one?) is not very effective in holding door open in a breeze so it'll be the tried and tested bungee for me again.

OP
OP
Inthezone

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hab Door

Unfortunately Auto Trail have been really remiss on the door they have simply overlooked that we have the door open especially if the awning is out, and there’s a real chance of it slamming shut in a slight breeze, luckily OH hasn’t been hit by it yet but a real danger especially whilst carrying the wine :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
seriously though for the cost of the vehicle a positive catch should have been fitted by the factory.

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Hi All
I was at the Motorhome show at Romsey over the weekend and I spotted that the 2014 frontier range of models had a gas strut as replacement to the pathetic plastic door retainer fitted to my 2011 Comanche, my question is does anyone know if these struts can be retrofitted as its imposable to have the door open even in a light breeze, I must say that Auto trail really have cocked up this one.
Even if it means that some of the internal trim will need replacing it will be worth it.

What your asking is a good question, as we too have faced this very situation. I didn't know about the gas strut and to me that sounds very interesting. We have a 2009 Cheyenne and the door catch was replaced twice since buying our bus from new. The last time it failed which was this year, I drilled the rivets out and have filled the holes with SikaFlex 512, and put a very nice orange side reflector over the area. I have matched the drivers side O/S with the same. If you get a positive with the gas strut would you let me know please.

Best Regards
Mike.
SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Just had my habitation door replaced along with frame because of the swivel pin for the strut, when we took delivery noticed pin was at a rather jaunty angle. Tried to tighten it but thread in door frame obviously cross threaded and stripped. Week later the pin just pulled out when door opened by OH. I araldited it in till we could get it back to dealers.

The gas strut (not sure if it is one?) is not very effective in holding door open in a breeze so it'll be the tried and tested bungee for me again.

Thimply The Best.!

Sunsets Unlimited.

Free Member
Oct 17, 2014
No fixed abode.
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail Cheyenne 840D
Exp
Since 2009
Iv'e started, so I will finish.!

On our 2009 Cheyenne which I wouldn't swap for the World, I noticed some water in one of the rear bedroom side wardrobes, which was coming in at roof level. Upon investigation I found the cause of said leak to be, where the rear panel meets the roof, it has 3 retaining screws on either side O/S and N/S, which are there as a means to secure both sections whilst the bonding agent takes hold as the vehicle is being constructed.
If you ever get a leak in this area, jump up the back and take a look. If the screws are loose, take them out, clean the junk from the screw holes and replace with larger screws. SikaFlex 512 them into place. It worked fine for us.

If you get water coming in from behind a window frame. Take off the interior trim, tiz quite easy and tighten all the securing screws around the frame. It worked for us.!
Happy Camping.
Mike
SunsetsUnlimited. :coolest:

oldmanriver

Free Member
May 24, 2013
gillingham kent
Funster No
MH
autotrail comanche
Exp
im a newbie
on some 2008 swift they took the gas strut of the door as it was bending the door, so be carefull

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks for that -- just looked but for the moment they are out of stock so will keep looking -- WANTED ONE FROM WHEN WE SPOKE - (y)
Sheila

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Pfft you have to think out of the box!!!
We had that problem with our door!
Bought a bungee cord and never looked back!!! ::bigsmile:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Our door would never stay open in a breeze. Often slammed with frightening results.
http://www.starspangledspanner.com/...le-door-holder-6-colonial-white/prod_424.html
Saw these on a funsters van and ordered then. Problem now sorted.(y)
Thanks for that, my Dutch friend has the same fitted to his, they work a treat. I'm going to get them fitted when I get back, along with other bits and pieces even though I swore that I had everything I need fitted the last time....again :doh:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
You can get gas struts on ebay, Gas Struts I have used them on some occasions for doors and cupboards.

You can get different lengths and strengths and they are not as expensive as some retailers would have you believe.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ours opens flat against the side and clips into a catch on the side OEM by Pilote and it's usually enough, but not some days this last summer.

We used a piece of guy rope on ours, but then couldn't find much to tie the thing to that we considered solid enough for the strength of some of the wind. Too much plastic LOL

When it got too 'gusty' we just had to close it and stifle if we went inside. But we've hardly ever had as bad wind as that accompanied by such heat, so I'm not losing sleep.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
cache_27508382.jpeg We find this works quite well ,just a bit awkward when she finds there's a meat skewer missing!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our Tracker has one and its next to useless the door slams as soon as there's a slight breeze. I have done a bit of research and come to the conclusion that a stronger gas strut was required however I have discovered that it is very difficult to source a good one and that the door should also have a separate stop fitted to prevent the gas strut from over extending as the seals will be damaged after repeated over extension, which I assume has happened to the original strut I am going to continue using a bungee until something more suitable becomes available its a shame Autotrail can't find something better!:groan:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We sell a suction cup with an elastic bungee loop attached at shows. You stick the suction cup on the body and the elastic bungee then loops round the doir handle. We use one ourselves.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
How about:

Broken Link Removed

or:

Broken Link Removed

................. from a Google for caravan door positive retainer.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well I wouldn't want to screw anything to the door or van that isn't meant to be there - after all - if the wind blows that hard it will pull against the OEM clip or the clips you affix the door and the van - and will the bodywork stand it? One of the gusts was strong enough (from no wind at all) to take one of our awning legs straight back over the roof and break the 'arm' off from the thing in the rail which slides in the rail as you wind it in or out, which is a one-piece casting!

I was making lunch and had just got to the hab door to say to Pete, 'The wind seems to be blowing dear' as I could see a tree on the campsite next door suddenly blowing through a window - when the door slammed shut in my face and that happened.

At least it was a relatively simple (if expensive) LOL 'arm' replacement (good ole Johns Cross) when we eventually got home.

Could have been a LOT worse and more expensive if we'd had a ruddy bent skewer attached like that ...... 4 or 5 years ago a door cost about £1,500 so I hate to think what they are now. Plus the damage to the side of the van!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back