Free Member
Jan 26, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a 1995 Granduca and would like to find out more about the electrics and charging system. I am new to motorhomes and don’t have a handbook. I have attached photos of the control panel and control unit for reference. Hopefully these may be similar to other types used.

Question 1. Does anyone know what the second red switch from the left is supposed to work? It has a symbol a bit like a fan and wires are connected.

Question 2. The black rocker switch above the 220v indicator light also doesn’t seem to do anything. (You have to hold it down). Any ideas as to function?

Question 3. When mains is hooked up, should both the leisure and starter batteries be charging? The battery condition lights don’t come on, but they are reasonably charged. The 12v on and water pump on lights work, (when switched) but the bottom left indicator which looks like a battery with a plug and lead doesn’t illuminate.

Question 4. I understand that when batteries are being charged from the alternator, the voltage across the battery is normally 13/14 volts. Should this also be the case when charging from the mains? Mine read just under 12v with the mains hooked up.

I have checked all the fuses that I can readily see. If you disconnect either of the batteries with the mains hooked up, the lowest relay on the control unit clicks continuously.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Cont_zpscea04dce.jpg

Conta_zpsd835c78e.jpg

Unit1_zps1dd9adbe.jpg

tonester3224

Free Member
Aug 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rotterteam Granduca N52
Exp
Motorhoming as a child with parents, now motorhoming myself
Hi Mackers, I'm afraid that I cannot answer your question, but I have exactly the same question myself as I am just about to pick up my camper which has the same panel.

I was wondering if you found out any info about the panel of that switch with the fan icon. Maybe you've discovered how the panel now works since your post in April?

I am desparetly trying to get hold of the instructions from the previous owner - if I do then I#ll obviously let you know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tony

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Question 2. The black rocker switch above the 220v indicator light also doesn’t seem to do anything. (You have to hold it down). Any ideas as to function?

Looks like an electric dump valve to me, run your taps a while the press this, look for it having a wee.

Question 3. When mains is hooked up, should both the leisure and starter batteries be charging?

No fixed answer here. But you can tell because the battery being charged should be 13.6V min.

Question 4. Mine read just under 12v with the mains hooked up.

12V is a flat battery !

Here's my best shot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Q1........extract fan latching relay.
Press the switch to activate the relay, press again to deactivate.
Fan or relay missing/broken.

Q2........water tank dump valve.....press and hold and the water tank will empty out......if the vavle still works.

Q3.....by the age of the van i would say without doubt the leisure battery only will charge.

Q4.......when on hookup the battery voltage should be around 13.6v or slightly more.
Looks like your charger isnt working and the battery is being charged by the split charge when the engine is running.

Just seen the date of the o/p but it took an age to write this so i aint deleting it.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back