Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
Hi all, I have my first check/inspection in may with a ten year old van.
this check is priced @ over £200 with Marquis. my question, what do you get for your hard earned cash. I had a conversation with a staff member of the company he told me they check your oven and alike so I said money for old rope then ,he said yes.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
That's a lot for a standard hab check ...... we use a registered mobile engineer now and price is around £140 - £150 and he comes to our home saving any fuel costs.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Connie, on a ten year old van a habitation check is a good idea, there is lots to go wrong. Perishing gas hoses or damp etc. However £200 sounds a bit expensive to me, I thought the prices were around £150.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I was told by a Calor gas engineer that Marquis do a 'visual only' of the gas system, they do not complete a pressure drop test nor do they service the boiler or the fridge because they do not employ registered engineers. If the customer wants the servicing done then a qualified engineer is called in at extra cost.
So just what do they do for their money, I guess that would be a mains tester in the sockets and dig around with a damp meter (which we all know will probably record a certain amount of moisture in the current weather conditions) It probably takes longer to write out the bill than do any 'checks'
Just call me an old cynic :RollEyes:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Just had mine done at JustGo. £160 and excellent service. All the essentials included. I am very satisfied.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Connie you can go online and download a habitation check list which tells you what they do/check
They DO NOT service fridge / fire / water heater just check that they are working BUT they should do a gas pressure drop test
£200 seems expensive

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Connie.

We used Marquis once for our habitation check and they managed to literally blow up the leisure battery. They obviously forgot to clear the hydrogen gas before touching the terminals. They fixed it all OK, but since then we've taken it to Stowmarket Caravans.

The form they use is I think and industry standard at http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/rderriman/HabCheck.jpg and you can see its quite thorough. The cost is the same £200 and includes a Carbon Monoxide check that falls outside the standard check as although we have a CO detector, we prefer to be doubly safe.

Including new gas hose, a few other bits, and a repair of the bunk, it cost us £250 all up AND they wash the motorhome including the roof. :thumb:

We had a small problem this year in that the tank bung wasn't replaced, and we didn't know how to get to it, but Dave Newell got us sorted at Newark. Thanks again Dave.

Hoping this helps.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this is a typical checklist from a NCC approved workshop
Broken Link Removed

personally I do my own inspection and get a qualified engineer to test the gas when needed. although it really is money for nothing it does serve a purpose in that it is in many cases the only time most owners think to check for issues. on new vans and those with extended warranties, a hab service/check is required for the warranty conditions

the going price is normally nearer £150 than £200 and that really is easy money for the dealers. one place i enquired had services available in 1/2 hour slots. so at £200, thats a labour rate of £400 per hour. mind you, they didnt include servicing appliances, just a visual check. dont get ripped off

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you feel the need for a full checkup since the van is 10 years old, and fancy a visit to Shropshire, I recommend you consider using Dave Newell in Telford. Dave is a trade Funster and offers a discount. He will check absolutely everything and you can be sure it will all done properly. There is a campsite nearby where Jackie (Mrs DN) will book you in for the night and the Iron Bridge Gorge is nearby for a visit.
Dave also does base vehicle servicing if required and supplies and fits lots of accessories. In the past he has fitted a reversing camera, satellite dome and replaced a faulty Gaslow cylinder for me. Highly recommended.

Combine a hab service with a short break and be reassured.

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
connie

connie

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
habitation check

Hi all.
Thank you all very much for your help I will have to look around a bit more. thanks again.

Theresa100

Free Member
Aug 23, 2013
Eton
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
10'years
Please can you give me details on who you use I need a habitation check thanks theres

That's a lot for a standard hab check ...... we use a registered mobile engineer now and price is around £140 - £150 and he comes to our home saving any fuel costs.

Please can you give me details on who you use I need a habitation check thanks theres

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Just had mine done today by a mobile NCC Aprroved and it was £135. Excellent work and watched while he was doing the check. Worthwhile for peace of mind and of course to pick up any issues.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you can spare a day, come down to us :thumb:
We have fully trained tecnicians, have a chat to Glenn

Peter

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi Connie.

We used Marquis once for our habitation check and they managed to literally blow up the leisure battery. They obviously forgot to clear the hydrogen gas before touching the terminals. They fixed it all OK, but since then we've taken it to Stowmarket Caravans.

The form they use is I think and industry standard at http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g79/rderriman/HabCheck.jpg and you can see its quite thorough. The cost is the same £200 and includes a Carbon Monoxide check that falls outside the standard check as although we have a CO detector, we prefer to be doubly safe.

Including new gas hose, a few other bits, and a repair of the bunk, it cost us £250 all up AND they wash the motorhome including the roof. :thumb:

We had a small problem this year in that the tank bung wasn't replaced, and we didn't know how to get to it, but Dave Newell got us sorted at Newark. Thanks again Dave.

Hoping this helps.

Glad you got your bung fixed, I remember you, as I was waiting to fill up with water when you was having your trouble, good to see Dave fixed it and got you out of trouble, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We service the fridge if its accessible without removal as a standard part of our hab inspection, we also do a damp/water ingress inspection, check the gas system including pressure drop test, reg date, hose date, flue gas analysis, tyre pressures tread depth and manufacture date, visual inspection of chassis and underfloor. And all this for just £135!

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back