Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
When you travel a lot in Europe how do you manage your money? I am thinking of getting a travel card from the Post Office and topping it up online when required.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
When you travel a lot in Europe how do you manage your money? I am thinking of getting a travel card from the Post Office and topping it up online when required.

Good idea , but there are better cards about, google euro cash cards:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We use a Caxton Card. It has worked well for us in France, Italy, Belgium and Spain.:thumb:

Brisey.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I've only ever used my bank debit card abroad for buying stuff and lifting cash..

what's the benefit(s) of a third party card like Caxton ?

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Caxton here also and has much better exchange rates than the high street ones.
Word of caution, all of them will 9/10 be problematic/ rejected at automated fuel stations in Europe and sometimes tolls, so have a back up plan of cash or decent credit card

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We use Mytravelcash not the best conversion rate but you get cash back and no charges at all, but you can take your pick , not much in them really apart from the post office who always have the worst rates, but you don't have to carry cash on you or even your credit or debit card, if you lose your cash card you only stand to lose what you have on it , no one can get into your bank from it, and as you can top them up through web or phone , you never need have more than a couple of hundred on them:thumb:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
:thumb:can you use these cards in the card only petrol stations.if not do you know one that can.thanks.:thumb:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We have never had ours rejected anywhere, apart from car hire firms, who always demand a credit card, even if you are paying in cash.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thinking about it car hire want your credit card for anything in the future so you could empty your cash card and they wouldn't be able to get your money:Doh:

PHD

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
Cranwell, Sleaford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
FairFx

We have used a FairFX currency card for two years. Pre-load it with sterling on-line and it gives good exchange rates. The only warning I would offer is that some businesses process a pre authorisation and this can lock up part of the balance for a period, which can be irritating but it sorts itself out soon enough. We were getting €1.19 to the £ on a recent trip to Europe. There is a small transaction charge each time but even when that is taken into account it was still competitive. We used it in lots of automated fuel stop with no problems.

Link https://www.fairfx.com/wizard/start/card?justlanded=1

"We welcome new voucher code referred users with a FREE* FairFX Currency Card! (Normally £9.95)
*Subject to a minimum load of £50, €60 or $75."

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I usually just use my debit card for cash and payments. Always get a favourable exchange rate :Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I usually just use my debit card for cash and payments. Always get a favourable exchange rate :Smile:

Quite agree we used to do the same but we use the cash card for the other benefits, like looseing your debit card or getting it nicked, like you we always seemed to get a good rate, but another benefit of the cash card you can load it when the rates are up, not at the prevailing rate when you are there.:thumb:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Casg

Have an N&P current account. No chafes whatsoever for transactions or ATM withdrawals. The exchange rate is always the daily Visa exchange rate, better than any bank.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Caxton again for us. As it's topped up in Euros there are no charges for conversion, none for purchases and none for cash withdrawls from ATMs. Top up online - even when abroad. No unexpected charges. No probs. :thumb:

Wyn

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Post Office credit card for as much as possible as its free and the exchange rate is good plus a Caxton card for drawing out cash as there is no charge for cash or purchases. Had a Fairfx card which was fine but there was a small charge for drawing out cash.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Caxton, can put euros on it when the rate is good. Still need other cards for unattended fuel stations.

moonman

Free Member
Mar 3, 2014
wirral
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2003
For the last few years we've used our Saga card while traveling plus a small amount of euros which we buy before we go. The Saga card offers greater protection than some of the currency cards.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
This site might help:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

Personally I have a cashpassportglobe card which works worldwide but it still charges for cash withdrawals. I have since ordered a Halifax Clarity credit card for purchases and a CaxtonFX pre-pay card for 0% cash withdrawals abroad.

More money for :drink:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we try hard to avoid using our debit card abroad ... reason.. its direct access to your account.

we use a CAXTON FX card and top up online if needed and draw at ATMs, spend as a normal debit card on occasions we use our Credit card.

works for us.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the other thing I do is when the rate is ok i top up our Caxton card over the year, so when it comes to our trip of say 6 - 8 weeks we have built up a holiday fund..:thumb::Cool:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too use the Caxton card and it's great! one concern though! It's not covered by the F.S.A. and if it goes tit's up you will loose any money you have on your card.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Always use debit card in ATM's.

We have no charges imposed by the bank and the rate is usually mid-way between tourist and business rates.

We also estimate the exchange rate on the "high" side so that when we return home and get our bank statement it is a nice surprise to find we have actually spent less than we have recorded.

We have had no problems in France, Italy, Spain Netherlands, Belgium or Germany.

Most of our travelling is in France and it is becoming increasingly rare to find an automated petrol station that does not take British debit cards.

Good luck!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Yeah, in France I tried three automated garages for fuel, only one would accept my cards. Looked on t'internet and it's something to do with the age of the machines and the magnetic strip on your card apparently.

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
+1 fro Clarity. The only charge that is made is interest on cash withdrawals.But just transfer money to pay off what you've withdrawn and it's effectively charge-free. Never been refused, never had a problem. My only fear is that so many people use it like me, that they'll withdraw it as unprofitable...

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We use Caxton fx to get cash out and Santander credit card paid off every month for purchases.
Lots of shops in Portugal refused my credit card, only the big boys like lidl and intermarche and the like took it, so had to use cash a lot there taken out of the ATM free courtesy of caxton card.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Halifax Clarity card for me too, after getting stung on fees for the Visa card last year we used the Clarity in Morocco, the Canaries and Turkey this year and no fees, I like it.

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
We always take so much in Euros that we know that we use, and our Gold Nationwide card for all supermarket, fuel, booze and all major shops

automedon

Free Member
Mar 22, 2013
Huddersfield West Yorks.
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Sprinter convers
Exp
3 yrs
Money Cards for Europe

Hi there, go and have a talk to your nearest Sainsbury's Store at the Cash/Money Services and ask about their EURO CASH PASSPORT CARD. its FREE to join. Basically, the card can be used in a few hundred thousand out lets (Restaurants, Supermarkets, Petrol Stations, Camp sites (i.e.ACSI)
etc. etc. We joined 3 yrs. ago and it saved us humping money about on our European travels. You simply use it as you would your UK Visa Debit Card.and of course you can only spend what you have in the account, so during the winter season we top the card up at our local Sainsbury's a bit at a time until we build up the account. You do not get charged for withdrawing cash from the notorious ATM's in France, the only downside we have found is the card is not accepted at THE TOLLS throughout France but they are working on this to get this anomaly changed.
Good Luck, enjoy your travels.
icon7.gif

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back