Toll free route to the alps (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
We are off to Montchavin (La Plagne) for some last of the season skiing on Friiday and am planning on staying off the tolls, I have put the route into Via Michelin website and chosen quickest route, Its showing me 2 options, 1 Calais, Lille, Reims, Troyes, Dijon etc. option 2 Calais, Abbeville, Rouen, Evereux, Orleans etc We are crossing thru tunnel in the evening and are planning on driving for 3-4 hrs until midnight before finding an Aire so any suggestion for which route or Aire would be appreciated.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You can get to the Alps missing the tolls but you need lots of time on your hands!
Class 2 isn't too costly and for the price of a ski pass for two, you'll be on the slopes far more quickly and less stressed!
Also consider the cost of fuel. The money saved in cruising efficiently and directly to your destination goes some way towards the extra cost of tolls.
The non toll routes really are slow!!! OK if you are retired!::bigsmile:

Have a good trip!:thumb:

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
I was kind of thinking this to be honest, I was just trying to offset the massive cost of the trip so far and we haven't even got there yet LOL, what with ski hire and lessons etc!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I was kind of thinking this to be honest, I was just trying to offset the massive cost of the trip so far and we haven't even got there yet LOL, what with ski hire and lessons etc!

You are not alone in trying to weigh up the toll/no toll quandary.

My thought process goes something like this...

Start off on autoroute
Get hit with a big toll
Think "b**ger me that's expensive"
Pull off for a nice lunch, walk and a bit of sightseeing
Back on Autoroute
Get hit with a big toll
Think "oh well, I've come this far"
Reach destination less stressed having saved 6 or so hours :thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Know what you mean!

It gets cheaper as you progress. We bought our own kit in the end. The kids have their own skis, we should get 4 season from those before they grow out of them. We buy and sell kids ski boots on EBay as they grow out of them too.
Skiwear is best purchased at Lidl/ Aldi at around December time. Also keep an eye out in your local TkMaxx. The TkMaxx website also has some blinding end of season skiwear deals if you plan ahead to next season.
The beauty of a motorhome is being able to carry your own kit and avoid excess baggage charges. To avoid hire costs, you need to be clever and buy kids equipment a little too large to make it last a while.
It might be worth checking out the resort ski shops for deals on ex-hire skis for use next year.
You and the kids will love it there! Good luck again!:thumb:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Also Surfanic do some great end of season deals on their good quality skiwear!:Smile:

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
Hi we are leaving on the 16th and heading to the alps to do some skiing we are beginners and have not yet chosen a destination we are also looking to purchase some equipment. Would appreciate some pointers on destination and gear looking to purchase second hand to start off

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Is there not a place you could go in Austria instead ?
Apart from the 9 € vignette there would be no tolls at all ( and Austria is such a great place to go too !! )

Sorry if this reply is completely useless as I know sweet fanny adams about skiing, but I DO know the Alps :winky:...

OP
OP
Scottyboy
Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
Hi we are leaving on the 16th and heading to the alps to do some skiing we are beginners and have not yet chosen a destination we are also looking to purchase some equipment. Would appreciate some pointers on destination and gear looking to purchase second hand to start off
I found www.motorhomeski.com very helpful

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I used to be a ski instructor before I became an astronaut.

Feel free to ask for any advice :Smile:

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
We are off to Montchavin (La Plagne) for some last of the season skiing on Friiday and am planning on staying off the tolls, I have put the route into Via Michelin website and chosen quickest route, Its showing me 2 options, 1 Calais, Lille, Reims, Troyes, Dijon etc. option 2 Calais, Abbeville, Rouen, Evereux, Orleans etc We are crossing thru tunnel in the evening and are planning on driving for 3-4 hrs until midnight before finding an Aire so any suggestion for which route or Aire would be appreciated.

Years ago used to drive HGV's down to Italy, always used route 1, in 4 hrs you could be past Reims look out for Les-Routiers where truks stop always good food, or you can park up and make your own, next day reach your destination. Also you will find large lay by's to stop in.
Have a great trip.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
If you use search bar for "Toll free routes to Lake Garda" you will find routes recommended by The Kontiki Kid which give some excellent advise and should help you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back