Free Member
Aug 29, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis T564
Exp
Since July 2015
If your motorhome has a solar panel, is it possible to leave a small heater running off the leisure battery when your motorhome is not in use e.g. over the winter? I'm new to all of this and it strikes me that it would be nice to keep the damp our of the vehicle when it's not in use.:Eeek:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If your motorhome has a solar panel, is it possible to leave a small heater running off the leisure battery when your motorhome is not in use e.g. over the winter? I'm new to all of this and it strikes me that it would be nice to keep the damp our of the vehicle when it's not in use.:Eeek:

No.(sorry)

Any form of heating run off solar is not on, especially in the winter when your solar panel will be producing very little. A solar panel on a stored vehicle in the winter will keep your batteries topped up, but that is about it.

Best way to keep the damp out, in the absence of external power is either to use the van during the winter, or else remove the bedding, leave all the lockers open to ventilate them and ensure there is adequate ventilation in the van.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
No.(sorry)

Any form of heating run off solar is not on, especially in the winter when your solar panel will be producing very little. A solar panel on a stored vehicle in the winter will keep your batteries topped up, but that is about it.

Best way to keep the damp out, in the absence of external power is either to use the van during the winter, or else remove the bedding, leave all the lockers open to ventilate them and ensure there is adequate ventilation in the van.

Agree entirely with Reallyretired's suggestions. We can put the mains power on the van when it's stored, but don't normally bother.

And as others have suggested, take it for a good run periodically through the winter, even if you don't sleep in it. We love to go out for the day when there's some crisp winter sun [though that's been in short supply around these parts the last four months :cry:].

The more you can drive it about the better. Keeps everything turning, charges the batteries and airs the interior all at the same time.

Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back