BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
In my Burstner 747 the layout includes a double dinette. Hate it!
I am in the process of converting this to an 'L' shaped layout by removing the forward facing half of the dinette, and placing the seat along the side of the van, facing the opposite sofa, and adjoining the rearward facing dinette.
(The table was removed a while back - way too big! ...if anyone wants one - PM me!)

Now - I know I'll be losing 2 seatbelted seats, and forever altering the layout, but thats not important to us as there's only 2 of us (in what is alleged to be a 7 berth!!!) and as we are FT it's for what we want.

I'll be cutting half the substantial chassis mounted framework out (...or rather, a man who knows what he's doing with a special cutting thing will!) this weekend and leaving the rest in place to support the sofa top which will be along the wall.
I will then have a square about 30" square of no floor, (where the outer half of the dinette was) which I intend to infill with some heavy ply, and then have a carpet laid over the whole lot.

Will then get to Regal Furnishings (or similar) at some point to have the cushions altered to fit perfectly as one large L shape:thumb:

When I'm done (fingers crossed before we leave for Chester!) I'll post some photo's of the before and after - just wondered if anyone else has ever done anything similar, and any 'issues' you encountered?

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Dave,

The table in my Burstner is the only thing that I don't like too ....way too big when there are only 2 of us, i like the Hymer expanding one but very expensive to order new:Sad:

Ours is on a sliding bracket and pedestal.

Having looked at some google images of your model I think yours will have a straight connected side and if so not really suitable.

Maybe a picture?

Cheers

Janet

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In my Burstner 747 the layout includes a double dinette. Hate it!
I am in the process of converting this to an 'L' shaped layout by removing the forward facing half of the dinette, and placing the seat along the side of the van, facing the opposite sofa, and adjoining the rearward facing dinette.
(The table was removed a while back - way too big! ...if anyone wants one - PM me!)

Now - I know I'll be losing 2 seatbelted seats, and forever altering the layout, but thats not important to us as there's only 2 of us (in what is alleged to be a 7 berth!!!) and as we are FT it's for what we want.

I'll be cutting half the substantial chassis mounted framework out (...or rather, a man who knows what he's doing with a special cutting thing will!) this weekend and leaving the rest in place to support the sofa top which will be along the wall.
I will then have a square about 30" square of no floor, (where the outer half of the dinette was) which I intend to infill with some heavy ply, and then have a carpet laid over the whole lot.

Will then get to Regal Furnishings (or similar) at some point to have the cushions altered to fit perfectly as one large L shape:thumb:

When I'm done (fingers crossed before we leave for Chester!) I'll post some photo's of the before and after - just wondered if anyone else has ever done anything similar, and any 'issues' you encountered?
I had previously an Autosleeper with a dinette, an alternative layout was as you describe. I asked A/S how much to alter mine. They came up with just short of £3000. We changed the van to a Burstner as it happens. Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Maybe a picture?

Cheers

Janet

Tricky - removed it last year and is my mums shed!
Its a bloomin big table, fills the entire space between the sofa's, and drops down to form a bed base. We fitted a much smaller one, cut from a nice piece of wood, fitted to the wall and sticks out halfway, supported by a single leg.
That too is going now due to our major surgery!!!

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Brian - (Hilldweller) - that was really helpfull! Thanks again!

Those photo's - the first set in particular the last one - is exactly the frame I have, the difference being I'm literally cutting it in half:Eeek:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
I wish I could be but alas I still work for my living :) :)

Our next outing will likely be to Carmarthen in May.

John

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
John - its not going anywhere, so if you're ever this way (Beds) or our paths are likely to cross anywhere just PM me and i'll bring the table! Cost you a few pints:thumb:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
Thanks very much, I'm sure I can extend to a few pints ;)

I actually have a 748 and the table should have been with it when purchased - long story and I won't bore you with the details except to say, it wasn't and the guy subsequently sold it!

If you have a picture, I might get excited :thumb:

Thanks so much and of course to Tarran Las for the 'heads-up'.

John

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Brian - (Hilldweller) - that was really helpfull! Thanks again!

Those photo's - the first set in particular the last one - is exactly the frame I have, the difference being I'm literally cutting it in half:Eeek:

I never thought of that.

If has made that area so spacious, not longer playing "after you" or after some wine "get out of the way".

I bought a pair of folding tables at a show, they live in the wardrobe taking little space and do good service inside and out.

There is a but, you don't get any extra seating.

But on the whole a good improvement.

I found damp in the place you are not removing - better check.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Done!

Well, pretty much there I reckon!
First pic shows how it was, second and third the 'process', and the fourth is where I've place all the bits as it will be fitted in place hopefully over next weekend!
Have to do a bit of woodwork to make things fit nicely, infill the hole in the floor and frame out underneath the new part alongside the wall, before the carpet layer comes next Monday!
Then will have a think about getting the base cushions sorted into one large 'L' shape instead of the 2 pushed together - the one along the wall needs lengthening now - but hopefully can get the foam joined and some infill bits, then re-use all of the existing material to cover it (...or will be asking Regal!)

And I have to say - wow, it gives you soooo much space:thumb:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 63
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 65

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nice one.

Is that seat wide enough ? I ended up extending ours by 100mm after we'd finished.

It's amazing how much space there is under there now.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back