nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This may not be the right forum for this post as I have a partner but sadly we are not able to go away together in the van as often as we would like due to his work. I hate to see the van sat on the drive when I have free time so I will travel by myself and always enjoy it but it would be good sometimes to have a travel buddy.
I know there are lots of meetings that I would be welcome to attend and I will no doubt get round to coming to one but my preference is for quiet locations and small CL sites from which I can walk or cycle to explore an area. So if there are any likeminded Funsters out there with similar interest that may want to go for trips together now and again please get in touch. :Smile:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am sure others will be happy to join you. Not sure what the best way to work this would be but my guess would be...

You would need to give a rough area that you can travel to and the dates. Then see if anyone else wants to join you... Kind of like an informal meet.
I guess you would also need to mention how active/inactive you are going to be and wether you have dogs or not.

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks. Good idea.
I am based in Warwickshire so quite centrally placed and as I work part time, usually at the beginning of the week, I tend to aim for long weekends away within an hour or so travelling time. I am reasonably fit and walk and cycle most weeks and last year I bought an off road bike for exploring bridleways and tracks which I really enjoy, but nothing too extreme. I don't have a dog but like them and I'm not niggly as my avatar suggests.

I have been thinking for some time now it would be good to have a register or pool of members that might want something similarto me rather than the bigger meets. Just a thought but not sure how it could be managed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks. Good idea.
I am based in Warwickshire so quite centrally placed and as I work part time, usually at the beginning of the week, I tend to aim for long weekends away within an hour or so travelling time. I am reasonably fit and walk and cycle most weeks and last year I bought an off road bike for exploring bridleways and tracks which I really enjoy, but nothing too extreme. I don't have a dog but like them and I'm not niggly as my avatar suggests.

I have been thinking for some time now it would be good to have a register or pool of members that might want something similarto me rather than the bigger meets. Just a thought but not sure how it could be managed.

Hi - I'm interested in joining up - I've just bought my van and have joined a few clubs and will go on meets - sometimes a friend will come along with me too, but mostly I'll be on my 'todd'. I'm in Sth Yorks so we're not too far away from each other- with the Peak District between us!:thumb: Any others?:reel:

Apr 17, 2010
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
17yrs
i would be happy to go onto your list, I am in a similar situation and just dont use the van as often as i should. Although ive been a member of this forum site for a few years now I have still not managed to meet any other solos. I am a couple of hours due south in north Hampshire.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I fulltime with a dog (Border Collie), like walking but am dangerous (to myself and others!) on a bike.

Would be up for a meet if I happen to be in the area at the time ......... :Smile:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
How about meeting up

August - Bank holiday? I am happy to try and find a site somewhere in central England if people are interested. If they are it will be a bit difficult to organise as strictly speaking any solos' meets have to be arranged via the password-required sub forum. I got the password from Jim at P'bro. Any solo who wants the password should PM Jim and ask for it, and then can pass it on to anyone they know to be a genuine solo traveller. Jim fixed this to safeguard female members who travel solo. I will PM Maz & Gromett but don't know anyone else...

Catherine

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
August - Bank holiday? I am happy to try and find a site somewhere in central England if people are interested. If they are it will be a bit difficult to organise as strictly speaking any solos' meets have to be arranged via the password-required sub forum. I got the password from Jim at P'bro. Any solo who wants the password should PM Jim and ask for it, and then can pass it on to anyone they know to be a genuine solo traveller. Jim fixed this to safeguard female members who travel solo. I will PM Maz & Gromett but don't know anyone else...

Catherine
thank you the info i WILL CONTACT JIM

hope e all meet up some time

take care all

Ian F

Sep 29, 2012
SKIPTON
Funster No
MH
class
Exp
Solo meets

Hi
I would like to meet up with other solo,s outside the main meet ups,
I live in north yorks and have most weekends free have mt/bike
which must get more use.
tintin08 (Roy):thumb:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
how do people find these old posts, I struggle to keep up with things started today

Good luck in your search though

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi
I would like to meet up with other solo,s outside the main meet ups

Hi Roy. Have you been to any of the main meet ups? I don't recognise your name but that could just be because you haven't posted much in the forums. If you haven't already, it might be best to join in with a main meet up first - then people can get to know you. :Smile:

Please don't take this the wrong way - you're probably fine. But asking to meet other solos outside the main meet ups when they don't know you could come across as a bit creepy. :wub:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Roy, I think after the meet at Longridge a few people were thinking the same thing..... Did you get the Cornish lady's number ? ... maybe if you put this on regularly there will be a response to meet up ... perhaps in August onwards will get a bigger response as everyone is so tied up with meets in the summer. If you are at the EARLY Goth meet, then perhaps you could start a proper file of people interested ... you could add me .... but I doubt any of us would want our phone numbers putting on the forum. Just an idea. :Smile:

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
What I had in mind when I started the thread was not a solo meet more a register of van owners in a similar position to me that would like some company when they travel. They could be solos or just not able to go with partners or family and want to make more use of their vans. As a result of the thread I have swapped contact details with a few people on the forum with a view of organising trips and travelling together but a pool of people would offer more scope for trips away.
A scenario for the register would be that you post a mail saying you are planning a trip to X with the dates you are going and see if anyone wants to join you. The register could show interests and the types of activity you enjoy so there is more chance of meeting up with like minded travellers.

I have some friends with a Motorhome and I go away with them from time to time which is much more fun than travelling by myself. We both agree that one of the big advantages of owning a Motorhome and going away together is that we each have our own space but also some company for walks, bike rides, sharing meals etc.

I understand that meets are probably a good way of getting to know other Motorhome owners and making friends but in the four years I have had mine I have never been to one in my van as the idea doesn't really appeal to me. They also require forward planning and many of my trips are spontaneous.
It was just an idea but not sure if it would work or the best way of organising it.

Sep 29, 2012
SKIPTON
Funster No
MH
class
Exp
re solos

Hello all
maz yes i do go to main meets but not all i like whitby thats allways good one and ive booked the wales motor home show meet also.
movan
Nice to hear from you how are ya.
I would like to know what the people at longridge have branded me as ?
The lady was parked next to me and i asked her if she wanted to join
myself and my friends dave n mo for a drink. she said yes she would
call down,thats it no probs. Gosh how quick people soon gossip but
if its me then there leaveing someone else alone.
I was only on nigglynellys wave lengh of pos meeting people other
then the big meets for odd weekends hear and there but maybe we
cant till we can take care of ourselfs.
Movan see you at whitby but dont stand to close the people watchers
will be at it again.
take care all
tintin08 (roy)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
::bigsmile:Hi Roy. Getting through the days, thank you, after being ill. Hope you well too.

No, no-one said anything, but at Longridge there were only a few of us stood around together and I get the feeling that the lady (sorry forgotten her name) might also be interested in weekend meets.. I think it is a very good idea but because of the summer meets might all be tied up till Autumn. Would definitely like to be kept updated.

Don't think people appreciate how good the Goth meet in November is and what fun it is to walk around the town. Brilliant for photographers too and those who like dressing up. Rob and Val make this a well organised meet and so relaxing to boot.

Fingers crossed the weather is warm for all those basques though.:whatthe:

dreckly

Free Member
May 13, 2009
cornwall
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Back on the road after a 4 yr break
Blimey, rumour and gossip. I would like to thank Roy for very kindly inviting me to join him and his friends at Longridge for a pint. That's it folks, nothing further to report. Seems a nice idea for single people with interests in common to tag along to things together. Unlikely to join in though as Cornwall is a long way from anywhere and most interested people are geographically too far removed from me.

karel

Free Member
Apr 12, 2014
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
im a newbie
I am also a solo traveller and get off all the time spending a week at home in between to catch up with family and friends and then off I go again. I like getting off and don't mind my own company to a degree, but many times I think how great it would be to go for a walk/cycle or share a beer and a chat with someone from time to time. I may go on a meet at some point so people can get to know me better but would have no problem meeting any other solo travellers. Someone said they had to get a password of Jim, not sure how to ask as I don't know who it is but anyone who wishes to meet up I would definitely be interested. I am in the north of England (Huddersfield) and travel usually within a 200 mile radius. If there is any kind of unofficial list of similar people then I would be happy to join up.

EDIT: Sorry just seen Jim did the sticky in this forum

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2014
Funster No
Found this old thread. Thought it might re posting. I am free. So let's see if we can sort out a date for this season
Have will will travel. Lol

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi - this is my first visit back to this thread since it began - really March 2012? - I must get better at this..
Anyways, I'm not sure.. but it doesn't look as though a meet up has happened as yet? I'll keep in touch to see if any possible dates are fixed (perhaps a Fri to Sunday somewhere central as a first go in mid Sept?)
cheeryby for now.
Ang

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
And there have been several general meets and at some of them there were solos in double numbers. We all conglomerate so just come along. We won't push ourselves in case you want your space, and we are shy too....just come and introduce yourself. You may enjoy it.:)

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well thank you v.much Movan - I'll certainly have a look at the meet dates & get myself along to one...
Ang

Apr 19, 2014
Funster No
I will be around Lincoln. Area in September so any one interested please jump In to this thread
There is a nice site not far from Newark that I can contact for a group. May be a follow on after Lincoln show ?

OP
OP
nigglynelly

nigglynelly

Free Member
Jul 31, 2009
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi Angela, I would be happy to meet up with you for a long weekend. :)

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi nigglynelly - great - let me know what your thoughts are on this..

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
I will be around Lincoln. Area in September so any one interested please jump In to this thread
There is a nice site not far from Newark that I can contact for a group. May be a follow on after Lincoln show ?
Hi - this sounds like a possible solution - what dates would this be & where is the site??

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
This sounds like a great idea part of the enjoyment of Motorhoming is to me the friendly banter of chatting with like minded folk............(Ok yes at the mo I've only experienced the friendliness of Jez and Lin's Dorset meet), BUT, .........

(Strictly speaking I'll have a lady with me,...well she is until she starts licking her bits :eek:)

mophead

Free Member
Feb 28, 2012
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Citroen based Nu Venture
Exp
I'm a newbie
OP
OP
nigglynelly