Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Going to Glasgow to pick up the van tomorrow morning at approx. 11am. Heading up to Balmaha on Loch Lomond, then up to Killin, over to North Ledaig then back to Balmaha. The weather forecast is not too good for the four days but hey ho, will just have to make the most of it. First time out in a MH so hopefully we will like it as we are really keen to buy our own. Holiday report to follow ::bigsmile:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Exciting times Steve::bigsmile:

Make sure you don't get a rushed hand over, if it's your first van you will be a bit overwhelmed when they are telling you about water/gas/TV/heating/etc Don't be embarrassed to make them show you things twice. And taking a video of the whole handover might save you a lot of stress later. If it's a dealer you are buying from, ask if you can stop and camp there on the first night, that way they will be handy if there is anything wrong or an aspect you don't understand.

Private seller or a dealer, don't leave until you are absolutely sure. On the way home, see if you can stop smiling, I bet you can't. ::bigsmile: have fun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I've just noticed that you are hiring and not buying.:Doh: So ignore my line about private sales or dealers. Do have fun though, rain on a motorhome room is somehow enchanting when you are cosy inside::bigsmile:

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Try and stop in the Oak Tree at Balmaha and try the Cullan Skink. It has to bethe best going. Have fun in the new van:Smile:

Hi, have been there before whilst walking the West Highland Way. Didn't try the Cullen Skink though. Don't know if they will allow us to take the dog in :Sad:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Which motorhome hirer are you using?

We used Scottishmotorhomes4Hire from Glasgow last year for our first bite at seeing if we liked it. It was a Swift Escape 686.

Good luck with it. I echo Jim's comments about taking it all in. Really take your time. Ask twice. It's a steep learning curve and I was a bit blasé about it in many respects. My wife was more attentive and retentive. Easy when you know how, though.

Enjoy, and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your first adventure. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Which motorhome hirer are you using?

We used Scottishmotorhomes4Hire from Glasgow last year for our first bite at seeing if we liked it. It was a Swift Escape 686.

Good luck with it. I echo Jim's comments about taking it all in. Really take your time. Ask twice. It's a steep learning curve and I was a bit blasé about it in many respects. My wife was more attentive and retentive. Easy when you know how, though.

Enjoy, and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of your first adventure. :thumb:

Thanks Bellini, we are using open road, based at Glasgow airport.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Van Hire - Success

Well, what fun that was, we loved it and I think our Pooch loved it too. He got plenty of walks regardless of the weather and appeared to be quite content back in the van. We visited three sites, Cashel Farm on Loch Lomond, Maragowan at Killin and North Ledaig, just 7 miles North of Oban. Cashel Farm was good but we did not feel the need to return there. The site was fine with great views across the Loch. It was the road in that put us off most, it really is a disgrace and needs to be resurfaced. The Killin site is within easy walking distance of the village and has good dog walking in the area. Ledaig is right on the beach and a 2 mile walk in towards Connel Bridge takes you to the Loch Nell Arms Hotel; stop off for a pint before walking back ::bigsmile:. Killin and Ledaig will be on our "must return to" list, we loved them. Setting up of the MH was as simple as you guys have been saying. Basically, I levelled up (kind of), turned on the gas and hooked up the electric, job done :thumb:. We will hire another couple of times in the next few months but have already made up our minds that we want our own van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back