westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Been looking at these as we just have the one 6kg bottle at the moment and being new to the van plus it having heating I'm not sure how fast that will run out? Then weighing up cost of another bottle and exchanges against refillable systems. Found two, but there is a big difference in price, not sure if there is a quality reason for that? One is Gaslow at £466 and he other Gas-it at £303. Both are twin 11kg bottles, manual change over, filler point, pipes plus bits and bobs. Is there any real difference between the two kits for the extra £163?

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
No difference between any of the system on the market, only price. I've just had 2 x 11kg Autogas bottles fitted by Dave Newell, who did a great job. The reason for have a refillable system fitted is ease of use when abroad. Some will say that you will never recover your cost but are you fitting it for cost or convenience. You can always move it from van to van, if you want. If your using your 6kg bottle for heating as well as cooking then at this time of year it will not last long, all the more reason for fitting a refillable system. Check out the search bar at the top of the page for threads on different systems and their merits. :thumb:

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Refillable? Yes please!

If you look at a refillable system in monetary terms, it's relatively easy to work out the pro's and cons. The price you pay for the actual gas is cheaper per litre than the gas you get in ready filled bottles. On that basis, the upfront cost of fitting a refillable system is gradually chipped away at each time you fill up.... but depending on your useage, it could take a few years before you actually recoup the cost of fitting the kit.

If however you look at a refillable system as an asset in itself, that enhances your use of your motorhome the upfront cost is easier to bear. How easy is it to lug round gas bottles.. full or empty.. in and out of lockers? How do you tell if the bottle is full, half empty or just about to run out..... if you take it to be refilled or swapped when you think it's about ready, are you gifting any gas to the supplier?

I got an 11kg bottle and associated bits and bobs fitted by Autogas 2000 at Thirsk.... lovely folks to deal with.. first clas workmanship and not too expensive. I have an LED gauge on the dash to give me a clue at to the level (I know the gauge is not certified as uber-accurate but its better than standing looking at a bottle and wondering!) and if I'm not sure.. I just go and fill up so any doubt is removed!

I'd recommend refillable as the way to go if you can.

Simon
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Been looking at these as we just have the one 6kg bottle at the moment and being new to the van plus it having heating I'm not sure how fast that will run out? Then weighing up cost of another bottle and exchanges against refillable systems. Found two, but there is a big difference in price, not sure if there is a quality reason for that? One is Gaslow at £466 and he other Gas-it at £303. Both are twin 11kg bottles, manual change over, filler point, pipes plus bits and bobs. Is there any real difference between the two kits for the extra £163?
one 6kg wont last more than a couple of days in cold weather running the heating, fridge, water heater and hob. of course if you spend all your time hooked up on a campsite you will be running them all from the electric.

i presume you are planning to use the van off site or on green field camps etc. in this case a refillable system really does make good sense. the gaslow and gas-it systems are near identical, main difference being the colour of the paint used. i personally prefer the cheaper gas-it system which performs without fault. i'm not one of those people that choose products by brand name. gaslow where one of the earliest manufacturers to bring refillable cylinders to the leisure market. gas-it are later arrivals who make quality products at a better price. never heard of anyone having a problem with them as they are, in my view, very customer focused

the only majorly different supplier is alugas, who produce a lightweight refillable system. good for saving some weight on your payload but considerably dearer in price

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suggest you go for a single 11kg Gas-it system for under £200 and see how you get on. As a back-up you could take your 6kg Calor with you just in case you forget to top up, but if you're used to managing with a 6kg, then an 11kg refillable will be a luxury!

We have had a single 11kg refillable from Gaslow since 2009 and it is by far THE BEST ACCESSORY we have ever bought (Gas-it didn't exist then), at the time it cost us around £240 including the 3 connectors for countries' differing gas pumps, but obviously you can get it cheaper now. It is easy peasy to fit, we've had it in 3 MHs now, and I moved it each time without a problem.

As for how long it will last, its a bit of a 'string' question (as in "how long is a ....") but if you don't have it on all day and night it should last you a fair while, at least with a refillable system you can top it up.

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I had 2 11kg Alugas bottles fitted by Dave Newell and for me even if i don't recover the cost, it is the convenience. No more lugging round 11kg bottles and just fill up when one empties. :Smile:

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sorry I wasn't clear in that we are not used to the use of our gas at the moment as the van is new to us, we came from a VW Westfalia with underneath tank and no heater. This van came with a 6kg bottle, we have only used it the one night up to now. We plan to do a mix of site and off site camping and have a toddler so will want to keep it warm at night. I'm thinking refillable is the way to go. Really wanting some feedback on if the gas-it is as good as Gaslow for the saving in price.

As for weights of bottles, payloads never crossed my mind before! Ours has a max of 3500kg, I can't find the weight of it empty to figure how much weight we can put in. When I've searched I'm coming across where many vans stopped are overweight! I found a site that said payload for our size is about 300-350kg, after you count us three and a full water tank, that doesn't leave a lot for beer, baby milk, bikes, beer, bacon and beer!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I can't find the weight of it empty to figure how much weight we can put in.

Get to a weighbridge ASAP, the check points won't just let you off with a warning if you are overweight, it's a fine and don't move 'till you lose some weight.

OP
OP
westy77

westy77

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Get to a weighbridge ASAP, the check points won't just let you off with a warning if you are overweight, it's a fine and don't move 'till you lose some weight.

I was passing a local one (j7 M11) today and asked if I could dop by in the motorhome. They said it wasn't a public one and that I would have to drive to Chelmsford where the nearest public one is.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Another vote for Dave Newell and the Alu-Gas kit. :thumb:

Dave fitted my twin 11kg tanks in February and although we only really use gas for cooking due to having a Webasto heater, i think it's money well spent for the convenience and peace of mind.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Another vote for Alugas, if you've payload issues get in touch with Alugas 2000 Ltd for a quote, superb customer support and advice.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back