Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Is there a purpose made cover that can be bought to protect a heki from intense heat? Thought about making one myself then realised it would be difficult to put on. We peg towels on the side windows but the panoramic heki is always a concern.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I made a cover out of an old internal insulated windscreen cover, once I'd cut it to size and edged it I put 4 suckers through which hold it in place on the Heki, the bonus of this is that when we want the Heki open and it is sunny the screen stays in place, thus letting the air in but not the heat. Another advantage is that in cold weather it adds insulation to reduce the amount of heat lost overnight.

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
Covers

I made a cover out of an old internal insulated windscreen cover, once I'd cut it to size and edged it I put 4 suckers through which hold it in place on the Heki, the bonus of this is that when we want the Heki open and it is sunny the screen stays in place, thus letting the air in but not the heat. Another advantage is that in cold weather it adds insulation to reduce the amount of heat lost overnight.

Hi my first M.H. was a liaka and it came with a cover for the HEKI like MINX has made brilliant :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Greenacres

Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Thankyou all. I like the cheap idea Minx using an old thermal cover. How do you reach the outside to stick on the suckers? Can it be done from the inside by threading the cover onto the outside?
Big 1 I'm afraid that the posh jobs will have to wait until I have saved up, but thanks for the link.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
an ultra cheap version is buy one of those car windscreen protectors. they are like a hard foam or cardboard covered in foil (often got a picture on) and cut it down to fit under the skylight. normally see them in the pound shop

another option, but the same idea is reflective foil bubblwrap. again cut to size and stick to the inside using suckers, which are available on ebay for under 50p each

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thankyou all. I like the cheap idea Minx using an old thermal cover. How do you reach the outside to stick on the suckers? Can it be done from the inside by threading the cover onto the outside?
Big 1 I'm afraid that the posh jobs will have to wait until I have saved up, but thanks for the link.
It is stuck on the INSIDE of the Heki. :Doh::winky:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Is there a purpose made cover that can be bought to protect a heki from intense heat? Thought about making one myself then realised it would be difficult to put on. We peg towels on the side windows but the panoramic heki is always a concern.

Yes! Dometic have them. But they are not sold by many in the UK.

Broken Link Removed

The part numbers are:

Mini Hekiplus - 9103500008 Broken Link Removed

Midi Heki - 9103500009 Broken Link Removed

Heki 1-4 - 9103500010 Broken Link Removed

::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Before sticking stuff to the inside of a Heki have a look here

Broken Link Removed

Third picture down on the first page. :thumb:

I suppose it depends on how tight a fit it is, the suckers make it 'stand off' a bit - I've used it on several MHs over the years (we had it originally in our Rimor, then our Chausson and now our Accent) and in all that time I've never had a problem. :thumb:

If not, then simply make a cover to go on the outside, but obviously it would need you to be able to reach to put it on, however seeing as it appears to be just a sheet of material with what look like 4 'hooks' on a piece of elastic cord I assume, one in each corner with which you attach it to the Heki, it would be easy peasy to make and certainly cannot possibly be worth the horrendous price asked for the 'official' ones! Maybe I should get my sewing machine out and go into business!!! :thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yes! Dometic have them. But they are not sold by many in the UK.

Broken Link Removed

The part numbers are:

Mini Hekiplus - 9103500008 Broken Link Removed

Midi Heki - 9103500009 Broken Link Removed

Heki 1-4 - 9103500010 Broken Link Removed

::bigsmile:

at those prices im not surprised they are not for sale in m any places:Eeek:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
We have a Laika and I thought everyone had the same as us which is a slidding cover that acts as a blind with an insect cover as well. :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
We have a Laika and I thought everyone had the same as us which is a slidding cover that acts as a blind with an insect cover as well. :thumb:
the sliding blind and net are standard fit, but they dont have any noticable thermal advantage. the silver screen type helps keep the van warmer in very cold weather and cooler in bright hot sunshine

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Before sticking stuff to the inside of a Heki have a look here

Broken Link Removed

Third picture down on the first page. :thumb:

Have a look at my post (first quote) and the link, which I posted on page one of this thread. :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Yes they do but in addition to what 'TheBig1' has said, if you want a good air flow you need to leave the blind completely open (just with the flyscreen across) to let the hot air out and cooler air (hopefully!) in but doing this will then let the sun in, hence the need to have something that actually goes on the opened Heki 'glass' itself.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
It would appear that Dometic are discontinuing the covers for Heki rooflights :RollEyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back