Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I hope I'm allowed to ask this question which is a little adrift from Motorhome issues in the truest sense.

We will visit America in June and I can spot that I can buy a Nexus 7 for $165. They are £200 in UK. The price I pay is based on being tied to a USA phone company on payg for 12 months. I only intend to use the phone on wifi (at least for a year until it will unlock).

Should I buy it when I am there, or am I missing a trick that will make me regret my purchase?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nexus 7 , fantastic piece of kit , but as to your deal in us can't really advise:thumb:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Bought a 2012 Nexus 7 just before Christmas 2013 for £99 from Carphone Warehouse.

And yes, an excellent piece of kit. Again, I can't really advise on your question re purchasing in the USA. On balance I probably wouldn't - but that's just a personal opinion and not necessarily based on any logical reason.

Mike

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
I hope I'm allowed to ask this question which is a little adrift from Motorhome issues in the truest sense.

We will visit America in June and I can spot that I can buy a Nexus 7 for $165. They are £200 in UK. The price I pay is based on being tied to a USA phone company on payg for 12 months. I only intend to use the phone on wifi (at least for a year until it will unlock).

Should I buy it when I am there, or am I missing a trick that will make me regret my purchase?

Accepted you're going to use it on wi-fi to start with...
But, a few issues I can think of:
1. The US providers use different frequencies for LTE (4G) than we do in the UK - so you
2. Not sure if Google region lock (different to network lock) their handsets.
3. Always worth checking to see if the price includes Sales Tax. So many people think stuff in the US is cheap ... till they get to the checkout :winky:
4. If you're only going to use it on wi-fi, like a tablet, why not just buy something like a Galaxy Tab ?
5. You'll need a residential address for a mobile contract - which I believe also includes payg

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I assume you are going to bring it back to the UK after your visit?

If so, what happens if it dies? I doubt the store you bought it from will be interested.

You will also want to set it to understand English, hopefully this can be done in Settings but I wouldn't swear to it.

I also don't think you need one with a sim card. Mine is WiFi only and I just use a smart phone or mifi to get it to connect with the web.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you wont be allowed to purchase it and start a contract without a us residential address. like over here, the service provider will check your credit rating, which must link to that address.

i looked into having the brother-in-law pick up a phone for me as he regularly worked in the us. we couldn't use his company office address and he was living out of a suitcase at a hotel. couldn't use the hotel as temporary address either. his secretary could use her address, but i would need to have a bank account with that as the service address. .....it was too much hassle in the end and that's without breaking the providers t&c's

cheaper to find a deal on amazon or ebay

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back