Got first motorhome (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
We have now after 10years of towing have now got a Swift Sundance 630g 2012 from Oaktree motorhomes only just driven down to cornwall were we live but hope to go away to Penzance area this weekend lets see how we get on, next week may need help were we go wrong. one early question we do not have corner steadies on this motor home can they be got to fit on my van or are there any other way to stop the motor home rocking in the wind (or any other reason).
Thanks in advance
ADRIAN

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Nice one Adrian - welcome to motorhome world where the journey is as important as the destination!
Don't worry about steadies - ours is 27' and never used 'em!!!
........but we like to rock::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You're still thinking caravans, no need for corner steadies or a fixed awning for that matter. Buy them if you really need them but most don't.

And welcome!

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I wouldn't worry about steadies either.
We have had our MoHo for 2 years after tugging for 20yrs and have not used them once.
By the way, welcome to FUN. :welcomefunster:

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
::bigsmile: WELCOME TO THE FUN:thumb::thumb::thumb:
:welcomefunster::party2::welcomefunster:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Steadies would just reduce your payload.

Enjoy your van:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Had them on our old Van never used them,

Enjoy your trip and welcome to MHF, there's a few of us Funsters here in Cornwall, and three or four five here in clay Country, St Austell or nearby, we'll be holding a meet in a month or so, come along and say Giday

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have now after 10years of towing have now got a Swift Sundance 630g 2012 from Oaktree motorhomes only just driven down to cornwall were we live but hope to go away to Penzance area this weekend lets see how we get on, next week may need help were we go wrong. one early question we do not have corner steadies on this motor home can they be got to fit on my van or are there any other way to stop the motor home rocking in the wind (or any other reason).
Thanks in advance
ADRIAN

:welcome:
We bought from Oaktree Motorhomes last August and so far, we've been very pleased with the van and with Oaktree in general and would certainly recommend them.
We had a problem with the fuel filter leaking after we set off north and had to contact them about it from north Yorkshire. They sent one of their mechanics up to sort it out for us (200 mile round trip).......had no trouble since.
Wish you many happy miles in yours:thumb:

Re the steadies, we've never had ours down yet.

Bill

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Welcome and thanks for a great opening question

I have never seen anybody use steadies on a MH whether they have them fitted I don't know either, I have read about auto levelling steadies, mixed reviews

However, I fondly remember my first night away in our new to us MH, on our favourite beach site, which we had caravanned on before buying our first MH, I reversed in the half light before total darkness, decided I was level, Bev said what do we do next, as I turned my seat round I said 'nothing, unlock the fridge we are here'

I do abuse (misinterpret) the ruling regards turning gas off while travelling, so literally had nothing to do, no EHU where we went

No steadies for me, thank you, cuts into drinking time :thumb: and really not needed, we are 8m long and the movement is minimal / acceptable

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Hello - sending a long distance wave from Scotland.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Agree with the others - our previous van, a Rapido - had corner steadies fitted as standard. We never used them once. :Smile:

Don't have them on the current van and wouldn't dream of fitting them.

Hope you enjoy your new motorhome and have loads of fun! :thumb:

Mike

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome from Leicestershire. I am sure you and your new van will be very happy together. Just get used to it for a while before worrying about corner steadies. They can be retro fitted but why give yourself something extra to do when you get to your pitch, or leaving it!
:welcomefunster:

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I believe the saying goes "if you see me rocking don't come a knocking" ::bigsmile:

Welcome

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Hello and welcome, as to steadies, we have them and use them, I feel abit sea sick in the van otherwise.

Momo

Free Member
Sep 19, 2008
Valencia City, Spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie.
Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welcomefunster:

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Good luck with the new van!
Have seen Motorhomes using lightweight axle jacks which seems good idea!:thumb:

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Before anyone replies: on the corners of the van not the axles of course!!

Builder147

Free Member
Oct 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
C Class bessy E560
Exp
Getting the hang of it
Hi Adrian,
We are in the same boat as yourselves :Smile:. we got ours delivered last Sunday :thumb:, We are near Okehampton, so our first trip was on monday afternoon (just a short trip) to Roadford resevior just off the A30, pulled up, dogs were going mad:RollEyes: right near the water I suppose, they were like coiled springs:wooo: but we all really enjoyed it::bigsmile:::bigsmile:. Mrs B has a dog agility show this weekend at wellington, so we are off up there tomorrow evening for a couple of nights, that will be a learning curve with no ehu ::bigsmile:. Anyway have fun and enjoy as we did even though it was only a short trip, great fun:thumb:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I was on a camp sit one weekend my son came to visit put down the steady's did not tell me ploughed to furrows right across the site the day I left :Eeek: the site owner was very under standing band me for life
I have never used then on my camper vans :thumb:

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I use mine only if staying for a long time, rearly use for long weekends unless its very very windy, mine were fitted as standard, if they wernt I wound not bother having them fitted.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Welcome to fun, I was a tugger for 30 years and got my van 2.5 years ago and love it:welcome:, we have used the steadies a few times but we are 3.5m high so may catch the wind, have fun in your new van we are off to a dog event as well this weekend

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Welcome from the Tinca's as well. We are also very new to this MH lark and will be in Cornwall on the same weekend, but we are near St Agnes at the Mount pleasant Eco Park.............if the sun don't shine, we drink more wine......

Tinca

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi and welcome to the Fun! :welcomefunster:

Re need for corner steadies: it's probably a combination of rear overhang, van height and how susceptible you are to seasickness that decides whether you want or need corner steadies. Try the van out first and see if you think you need them. I never bother with them on this van but did on my previous van.

If you do decide to go for steadies, a useful tip is to place the winding handle across the steering wheel once you've lowered them. That way you're unlikely to drive off with them still down. :Smile:

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Hi, and welcome!

Corner steadies: had them on an old Hymer we rented last year and found them useful things. Didn't 'need' them but was curious. Wifey liked them.

On my RMB: I've just replaced the rear suspension with an extra leaf for additional stiffness, so we'll see how that goes. But I also bought two 6 tonne bottle jacks for steadying purposes. Small, cheap and relatively light. Haven't used them, but I may get curious when we're away next week.

I'd try your van out first for a bit. See how you get on.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Hi and welcome
I have a 630L and considered having steadies fitted as it can roll a little bit but after a year living in it I'm used to it now and don't feel the need. It would only be a matter of time before I tried to drive off with them down, I have a pre-departure checklist on the inside of my front visor because I have a memory like a sieve. :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back