Holy Island of Lindisfarne (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Parked on the causeway watching tide come in this afternoon. Boy its quick and so deceptive in calm weather conditions. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

It almost reached the car park on the mainland side.

Attachments

• 006a.jpg
    006a.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 90
  • 007a.jpg
    007a.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 008a.jpg
    008a.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 009a.jpg
    009a.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 88

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Anyone know ???

In the photos, which side were you on ?
I have often wondered what would be the case if you were "accidentally" trapped on the island when the tide came in !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
When the tides in the pubs are probably open, that's what used to happen 40 years ago as I recall.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's not far from here and is one of my places to go when I need to get perspective or am troubled - in the summer it is packed with visitors round the village but still deserted up on the north shores.

There are always a few idiots how think that the tide tables can be ignored.... best excuse last year was "oh, I didn't think it applied to tourists"..... they walk among us indeed.

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
When the tides in the pubs are probably open, that's what used to happen 40 years ago as I recall.

Rgds
Bill

Almost 50 years ago I went there on a 6 th form school trip in February.
After us lads had done the mead factory tour and had our free samples and it being about 11:30 we headed across the green to the pub opposite.
The door was locked so we banged on it a few times following which an upstairs window opened and a rather testy bloke yelled at us "whaddya want?"
"When do you open?" We asked.
"Easter. Now f@ck off!"
Fortunately there was another pub.

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Still relatively quiet on the island. Forget all those expensive toys and computer games give an infant a bucket and spade and all is wonderful. ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Taken on the causeway late afternoon today once weather cleared.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 16

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the photos, which side were you on ?
I have often wondered what would be the case if you were "accidentally" trapped on the island when the tide came in !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

We have been 'accidentally on purpose trapped' ... :Blush: It was a good few years ago and we stayed in the car park tucked up out of the way. Once we'd had our BBQ tea we went down to the short to watch the beautiful sunset with the locals who didn't bat an eye-lid about our being 'stranded' there and were very chatty and welcoming. It was a lovely evening. Our elderly pet rat, Sprite, who had had a lovely time there having his bit of BBQ then a potter in the sand dunes and a paddle in the sea (yes, really!), decided to snuff it in the early hours of the morning. :cry::cry::cry::cry: Very upsetting as he was more like a member of the family, but he went out 'happy' and we buried him in the dunes so it is a special place for us.

Last time were were up there we stopped overnight in the car park on the mainland just before the causeway, it was lovely until a pillock in the battered old motorhome parked up afterwards and let his dog run around being a constant nuisance and then ran a bl**dy generator for ages!!!! :Angry:

Attachments

• lindesfarne sunset.jpg
    lindesfarne sunset.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 25 sprite dunes.jpg
    25 sprite dunes.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 20

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Just google earthed the Island, massive car park on edge of village with a no overnight parking notice !:cry: Just who is going to police that !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
that's the car park we stayed in when we 'stranded' ourselves there, but it was a good few years ago. Actually, from what I can recall I don't think there were any restrictions on you actually parking in the village itself ... if anyone lives near there perhaps they could have a trip and check .... ::bigsmile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Visitors are not supposed to park in the village itself but to use the big carpark on the road in. In the off season the traffic is very light and I usually park in the car park after the Catholic Church (opposite the house with "Bra Cottage") but I wouldn't park there in high season as it isn't fair on the residents.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
I know this place well and in my opinion if crowds of motorhomes went there it would spoil it ..... there are car parks at both sides of the causeway and the Islanders are friendly but doubt they would appreciate the masses, it is best when most people have gone home ....... Maybe 1 or 2 at a time!

The Barn at Beal allows stopovers Ā£15 per night no electric but toilets and showers and a cafe. ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back