Black water dump points - is there a register? (2 Viewers)

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
How do we find public black water (toilet) dumping points as we cruise the UK & Ireland?
Is there a register/list available somewhere?
We hope to be mostly wild camping where we can.

In Australia, the public dump points are all listed here.......
Broken Link Removed

Cheers,
Peter

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
No chance .... this is the UK where they don't make life easy for wild camping and most towns don't like motorhomes.

Having said that, most camp sites will allow , for a charge, you to empty as necessarry and fill as well.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Do you need a black water drain point for a tank or just a toilet you can empty your cassette into?

Toilets are easy to find, tank dumps less so.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Shhhh... don't tell as I'm sure you shouldn't really do this but you can empty your cassette down a public loo but make sure you take disinfectant and cloths to clean up after you. If you leave everything cleaner than you found it there should be no complaints.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
while the missis shops in the supermarket, I generally take the cassette (inside a day sack and plastic bag) to the loo and dump it. Or caravan sites generally let you fill up and drop off sometimes free but generally for a price.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
In Scotland you will find a free to use dump point at most if not all CalMac ferry terminals, (Caledonian MacBrayne) they are mostly small harbours with free access to all. We have found that most, especially out on the islands have a water point and dump

Please note though, nobody should put standard elsan chemical down any toilet, it is seriously harmful to the sewage treatment process even in small doses. If dumping straight to toilet or random manhole you should not use chemical

http://www.visitouterhebrides.co.uk/visitor-info/facilities/toilets-and-portable-toilet-disposal

just found this link for western isles, it is only going to help for a very small part of the UK, but every little helps

Last edited:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
we dont use that blue stuff. Bio liquid from the supermarket cheaper easier and makes it easier to dump anywhere

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Please note though, nobody should put standard elsan chemical down any toilet, it is seriously harmful to the sewage treatment process even in small doses. If dumping straight to toilet or random manhole you should not use chemical

Sorry, I should have put that on my post. Being on septic tank at home the use of chemical stuff that isn't okay for septics is a closed book to me and I tend to forget that people use elsan and other such chemicals in their cassettes.

OP
OP
Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Thanks for the tips folks.
Looks like it will be a bit harder than I anticipated.

Sodium Percarbonate is the best stuff for toilets. Typically sold as nappy soaker. It is cheap, effective and safe for septic systems and all toilets.

Cheers,
Peter

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Sodium Percarbonate is the best stuff for toilets. Typically sold as nappy soaker.
Peter

AKA Nappysan in the UK although supermarkets may have their own brand. It's also great as an additive to the white laundry load.

I'm told you can also use bio-washing detergent to the cassette. I imagine it would smell much better than the formaldehyde type stuff beloved of tuggers.

Jan 31, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
10 years +
" nobody should put standard elsan chemical down any toilet, it is seriously harmful to the sewage treatment process even in small doses."

What I've never understood is where all the stuff with chemicals that goes into CD points at a campsite go to. Do they have a separate drainage system for the CD point that doesn't meet up with their normal sewage? If so, where does it go?

PS I use Aldi detergent.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
Please note though, nobody should put standard elsan chemical down any toilet, it is seriously harmful to the sewage treatment process even in small doses. If dumping straight to toilet or random manhole you should not use chemical(snip)

I tried Googling to find a reason for that but couldn't. Obviously cassette contents (amongst other things) should not be emptied into an ordinary drain (whether meant for grey water or surface water) but surely the final destination of the flushings (including bleach and all sorts of cleaning products) from a WC is designed to deal with such chemicals isn't it?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back