Jan 27, 2013
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
august 2012
Off to France, Belgium and Netherlands.

Our Swift escape 686 motorhome has a revenue weight of 3650kg gross. Does this mean we are over 3.5t. Getting confused with conversions.

If that's the case does that mean for example on a French motorway do only 110Kph as against 130kph?

In the UK then our mass in running order shows as 3054kg .
On the UK gov speed limit site https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits a motorhome Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) 30 (48) 60 (96) 70 (112) 70 (112)
Motorhomes or motor caravans (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight)

Confused? Are we allowed to drive at 70 MPH on UK motorway or 60MPH.

HELP?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
your motorhome is 3.65t so over 3.5t by 150kg

Your 'mass in running order' is 4kg over (3.054t) the maximum stated (3.05t).

Technically you are restricted to 60mph on UK motorways and the lower limits in France.

Moreso, you are restricted to 50mph on UK A roads instead of 60mph (excluding dual carraiageways when your limit is 60mph, not 70mph

Last edited:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Sorry but the way I read it, motorhomes over 3500kg can still do 70mph on motorways but only 60mph on dual carriageways, 50mph on single carriageways. I hope i'm not wrong cos i haven't even had a glass of wine tonight

ps if a dual carriageway doesn't have a central reservation then the limit for a vehicle 3500kgs or under will be 60mph, at least that's my understanding courtesy of a speed awareness course a few years ago. see, I was listening...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As said, you are subject to limits that apply to vehicles over 3.5 tonnes GVW (MAM).

In France, all single carriageway roads (outside built up areas) have a limit of 80 kph. Dual carriageways as you have already noted.
In Belgium I'm not sure about motorhomes, probably the same as France, but for HGVs between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, it's 60 kph on single carriageway roads outside urban areas and 90 kph on all other roads.
In the Netherlands it's 80 kph on all roads (including motorways) outside built up areas.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just drive slow . we hardly ever go over 50mph when away specially abroad. play the game . no toll roads . no motorways . avoid dual carriageways only drive on small roads pass through as many villages as you can . the limits are maximum not minimum. see how big a line of cars you can get behind you . its all good fun .

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
70 MPH in a motorhome , have a blowout and you will be issued with a pair of wings , speed kills !!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Technically you are restricted to 60mph on UK motorways and the lower limits in France.

Moreso,[HI] you are restricted to 50mph on UK A roads instead of 60mph (excluding dual carraiageways when your limit is 60mph, not 70mph[/HI]

Motorhomes or motor caravans (more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight) 30 (48) 50 (80) 60 (96) 70 (112)

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
just drive slow . we hardly ever go over 50mph when away specially abroad. play the game . no toll roads . no motorways . avoid dual carriageways only drive on small roads pass through as many villages as you can . the limits are maximum not minimum. see how big a line of cars you can get behind you . its all good fun .
the rods always seem to be clear when I am out with the van till I look in the mirrors :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
OP
OP
M

monty the motorhome

Free Member
Jan 27, 2013
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
august 2012
I see others are as confused. But like Tony in the above post that's what through me.

What is our max unladen weight? Is it Mass in running order?

My dealer said when we got the motorhome that it was the same as a car re speeds. But then he won't be the one getting the fine.

Thanks for the input.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I see others are as confused. But like Tony in the above post that's what through me.

What is our max unladen weight? Is it Mass in running order?

My dealer said when we got the motorhome that it was the same as a car re speeds. But then he won't be the one getting the fine.

Thanks for the input.

Did the Dealer also say you can drive it on a Car License? (Check you have C1/C1E)

I have often wondered what constitutes a dual carriageway (I tend to go by whether there is a barrier/verge separating the opposing traffic) so stick to 50 if there is only a double white line between. I also try to keep to 60 on the Motorways to get better fuel consumption.

I have been thinking of putting stickers on the back to show why I am only doing 50 on a single carriageway but the people that get frustrated probably wouldnt care or understand as they blast past me.

Deleted User
Sorry but the way I read it, motorhomes over 3500kg can still do 70mph on motorways but only 60mph on dual carriageways, 50mph on single carriageways. I hope i'm not wrong cos i haven't even had a glass of wine tonight

[HI]ps if a dual carriageway doesn't have a central reservation [/HI]then the limit for a vehicle 3500kgs or under will be 60mph, at least that's my understanding courtesy of a speed awareness course a few years ago. see, I was listening...

If it doesn't have a central reservation then it isn't a dual carriageway as I became aware many years ago when nobbled by a speed camera on a 4 lane road(A556 near Lymm) in a truck doing 46 mph

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

[HI]Technically you are restricted to 60mph on UK motorways and the lower limits in France[/HI].

Moreso, you are restricted to 50mph on UK A roads instead of 60mph (excluding dual carraiageways when your limit is 60mph, not 70mph

Only applies if you're towing a trailer, or articulated (applies to 5th wheel set ups).

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Most of us will do this but I'm adding a plea that if you do find there is a build up of vehicles behind you, or one vehicle that has been behind you for a while, please pull over when it is safe to let the traffic past. They may need to be somewhere by a certain time and, as it says on the information boards, "frustration causes accidents" - the wording always makes me giggle but the message s serious enough.

Deleted User
Motorhomes or motor caravans (not more than [HI]3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight[/HI]

Goods vehicles (not more than[HI] 7.5 tonnes maximum laden weight[/HI])

Another example of the complete inefficiency of the UK civil service/government.

Many, many moons ago all UK vehicle legislation was based on unladen weight, over the years various parts have been amended to harmonise with EU legislation. There are other examples of these antiquated definitions throughout C&U regulations etc.

At one point until a few years ago the rules for driving licences etc for some goods vehicles were changed from being based on 3 tons(3.05 tonnes) unladen weight to 7.5 tonnes MGVW, except for speed limits and the use of the third lane on motorways.

This led to the ridiculous situation that vehicles within the same driving licence group and subject to the same weight limits came under different speed limits etc. 7.5 t MGVW with a flat body weighing under 3.05t unladen came under different regs than same vehicle with a curtainside body.

This anomaly was amended a few years ago but they obviously forgot about motorhomes.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The issue of UNLADEN weight versus MIRO is a tricky one. About four years ago there was a DfT consultation on changing motorway speed limits and lane restrictions (it went nowhere) but I replied to the consultation and raised this issue. The DfT response accepted that ULW/MIRO was not something they had thought about - so no help there. I pointed out that very few motorhome owners would be able to identify the ULW. They might know the MIRO but would certainly know the MAM. So why not apply limits based on MAM as the rest of Europe does, and the UK does for goods vehicles? The 3.05 tonne ULW category is an aberration from an otherwise logical system. MAM is a much more sensible determinant of a vehicle's safety characteristics in terms of road holding and braking, since that is what the manufacturer has designed it to be able to do.
So far, no changes apparent in the regulations.

To further confuse matters, the limit for a 'white van' over 2 tonnes MAM is 50 mph on a single carriageway, 60 on a dual and 70 on a m-way. My opinion is that it is better to stick to the HGV limits rather than have to argue the toss with 'The Bill' or 'The Beak' if pulled over.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Think I'll play it safe when we get our van and stick to 30-50-60-70 as the maximums. I'm a country driver anyway. Better to be late than never.

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
I'm confused :Doh: When we got our van, it was plated at 3500 gross. Being an Autotrail, I was able to uprate this to 3650 with DVLA which I did through A/T as they accepted it was their error with the plating. Looking at the V5C, I see that the revenue weight is now 3650 (what I wanted) but "Maximum permissible mass" & "Mass in service" is still 3500. So, is my GVW 3500 or 3650??? :RollEyes:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Mass in service?

Errrr, Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!:Doh:

Your gross, or MTPM, is 3650kg.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
Ok, so it's as clear as muck !!, do the speed cameras realise we are over 3tonnes, when calculating our permitted speed !!

buffallobill

Free Member
Sep 21, 2013
skipton
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since2007
Our m/home is plated at3850kg, conversation with a traffic officer (white hat), he looked at plated weight, got is folder out and showed me the speed limits for the weight category, my speed is ,A roads max 50 mph, dual carriageways and motorways 60 mph, this applies to vehicles that is plated over 3500 kg but less than 7500 kg. this advice I have stuck to because these are the enforcers who issue the speeding fines..

Deleted User
Speed cameras are set for the max speed of the road (for cars)

Not always so !! They can pick out HGV's as I found to my cost , at the time (late 80's) I believe the camera sensed the size(area) of the back of the truck.

I would assume that the technology has moved on since then.

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
Most of us will do this but I'm adding a plea that if you do find there is a build up of vehicles behind you, or one vehicle that has been behind you for a while, please pull over when it is safe to let the traffic past. They may need to be somewhere by a certain time and, as it says on the information boards, "frustration causes accidents" - the wording always makes me giggle but the message s serious enough.

One of my 'father in laws saying' if their in such a hurry they should have left earlier. He the one doing 10mph in a tractor on the Southport to Liverpool road and doesn't give a sh-t. Never had an accident in 65 years.
But I bet he's coursed some.:ROFLMAO:

Oct 27, 2013
Portglenone, Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Elddis Magnum185GT
Exp
Since July 2012
[HI]Mass in service?

Errrr, Whisky Tango Foxtrot?!:Doh:

Your gross, or MTPM, is 3650kg[/HI].

Thanks. Was just wondering why both weights are shown. Mass in service is Section 4 (Vehicle Details) Item G on the V5. See what yours says. :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Never noticed that category before. My V5C says '[Y] Revenue weight 3800 kg gross', 'G Mass in Service - blank'.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Speed cameras are set for the max speed of the road (for cars)
Afraid not. I've often gone through a couple of speed cameras on the road between Boston and Skegness, and both have flashed twice every time, even though I am only doing 50mph in our 5 Tonne tandem axle MH. I genuinely think that it is either the number of axles in rapid succession picked up by the sensors in the road, or more likely, it's the weight of the vehicle, which activates these cameras.

Not once have I received a ticket, as the database shows that we are under 7.5 tonnes.

Cheers,

Jock.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back