Parking in Peak District (1 Viewer)

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I am busy planning (in detail ::bigsmile:) our first outing in our soon to be motorhome. I have contacted Denby visitor centre to ask about parking, and they said they are fine with the motor home in the car park ::bigsmile:. Then contact Morrisons in Buxton and had a personal call from head office saying fine to park in. Morrisons ::bigsmile:.

Does anyone know of any other supermarkets in the Peak District easy for parking? It is our first outing so a bit scared of getting stuck some where. :Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
No sorry just to stop and shop etc. We have booked sites for the whole week, but just wanted yo ensure there was places we could get supplies. Can you tell i am a bit nervous and being a bit over the top with planning :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Tesco in Glossop is easy to park if you are shopping there.

For supermarkets generally see Here.

High Peak Council Broken Link Removed provides advice.

Note. None allow overnight camping.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No sorry just to stop and shop etc. We have booked sites for the whole week, but just wanted yo ensure there was places we could get supplies. Can you tell i am a bit nervous and being a bit over the top with planning :Sad:

We've probably all been there ::bigsmile:

In a week you probably won't need more than one supermarket car park. There are local food shops all over the Peak District well worth trying rather than supermarkets.

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Does anyone know of any other supermarkets in the Peak District easy for parking? It is our first outing so a bit scared of getting stuck some where. :Blush:
Hi........... Depends where ........... the Peak District's a large area. There is an easy to find Sainsbury's in Matlock.
Don't know if you will be using the M1 but
the Tesco in Clay Cross ( at Junction 29 ) is large and easy to find, just turn right at the Tesco Garage.

You will be fine just ENJOY. :party2:

Last edited:

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Not a supermarket but bakewell has a car park suitable for motorhomes right in the centre so you can walk round this lovely village. It's by the agricultural centre

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We spent time at Chatsworth CC last year, but took the bus from Baslow into Bakewell. The only supermarket car park that we noticed was the Co-op, but the carpark wasn't big......so we were glad we'd taken the bus.

We parked the van in Sainsbury's car park in Belper several times last year without any problems at all, there was another mh there at the same time as us.

Margaret

OP
OP
Spidey
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
This site is great, spent ages trying to find all this info on the net. Come on here and in no time get loads. :thanks2:

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
We went to Morrisons in Buxton in February and reading the parking regulations (operated by Parking Eye) it stated that vehicles must be parked within marked bays. As our van was longer than any spaces there, we went and asked inside if we would be OK there and was told no-one monitors the car park between September and April (tomorrow!) so I would check with the store management and get their name in case Parking Eye get a bit jobsworth.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
I am busy planning (in detail ::bigsmile:) our first outing in our soon to be motorhome. I have contacted Denby visitor centre to ask about parking, and they said they are fine with the motor home in the car park ::bigsmile:. Then contact Morrisons in Buxton and had a personal call from head office saying fine to park in. Morrisons ::bigsmile:.

Half the fun is not knowing..... Bit like this fun forum! :Eeek:

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
We spent time at Chatsworth CC last year, but took the bus from Baslow into Bakewell. The only supermarket car park that we noticed was the Co-op, but the carpark wasn't big......so we were glad we'd taken

It's not a supermarket car park as I said but its 4 minutes walk from the town centre and has about 400 places Info here :-

Agricultural Centre, Agricultural Way, Bakewell, DE45 1AQ
This car park has 420 spaces, has no height restrictions and ideal for medium to large campervans. It is the first if you are coming from the Matlock direction. It is on the right just before entering the town. It is deceiving in as much that you might feel you are parking a long way from the town when in fact you will only be a short walk away from the town centre, 2 or 3 minutes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We went to Morrisons in Buxton in February and reading the parking regulations (operated by Parking Eye)[HI] it stated that vehicles must be parked within marked bays[/HI]. As our van was longer than any spaces there, we went and asked inside if we would be OK there and was told no-one monitors the car park between September and April (tomorrow!) so I would check with the store management and get their name in case Parking Eye get a bit jobsworth.

That is actually Morrisons' policy (not Parking Eye) as expressed about a year ago (see my link in earlier post) and is there to protect certain stores from long term parking. I can easily see how the Buxton store (given its location) might suffer from day long parking otherwise.

However, as I posted on other threads, when we wanted to use Morrisons Blackpool store last year a quick word with the Customer Service desk resulted in permission.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's not a supermarket car park as I said but its 4 minutes walk from the town centre and has about 400 places Info here :-

[HI]Agricultural Centre, Agricultural Way, Bakewell, DE45 1AQ [/HI]
This car park has 420 spaces, has no height restrictions and ideal for medium to large campervans. It is the first if you are coming from the Matlock direction. It is on the right just before entering the town. It is deceiving in as much that you might feel you are parking a long way from the town when in fact you will only be a short walk away from the town centre, 2 or 3 minutes.

See the entry under Derbyshire Dales Here.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Thanks Graham, so glad we took the bus into Bakewell..........::bigsmile:

Margaret

Has said bakewell agriculture centre loads of space easy parking and great town to look round (once picked a tart up at bakewell) but do not park in the coach park at Buxton leaflets say ok for MHs but you will get a ticket by some traffic wardens we had one successfully fought it but not worth the hassle there are side streets wide enough to park MH if you need to
Also has said enjoy the experience

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Has said bakewell agriculture centre loads of space easy parking and great town to look round (once picked a tart up at bakewell) but do not park in the coach park at Buxton leaflets say ok for MHs but you will get a ticket by some traffic wardens we had one successfully fought it but not worth the hassle there are side streets wide enough to park MH if you need to

We managed two tarts and two Homity pies:thumb::roflmto:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
If you are near Parwich,there is a community run pub there that allows overnight parking ! It's called The Sycamore, Google it...great food as well !!:thumb::thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Has said bakewell agriculture centre loads of space easy parking and great town to look round [HI](once picked a tart up at bakewell)[/HI] but do not park in the coach park at Buxton leaflets say ok for MHs but you will get a ticket by some traffic wardens we had one successfully fought it but not worth the hassle there are side streets wide enough to park MH if you need to
[HI]We managed two tarts[/HI] and two Homity pies:thumb::roflmto:
I'm not sure how to understand these posts as anyone from Bakewell will tell you that the comestibles are puddings. Each to their own though, I suppose :roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Hey, it's the Peak District not Mars.

Loads of towns, loads of supermarkets and loads of village shops.

And loads to enjoy, especially holes in the ground and the Dambusters playground.

And a cable car to a hole in the ground !

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back