Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
This topic has probably been beaten to death previously, so my apologies if I'm covering old ground.

I'm looking for a cheap and cheerful but above all easy answer to rigging a TV aerial on the 'van. Our previous arrangement was a standard aerial on a two piece pole fixed into brackets high up on the 'van wall; less than ideal as it needed rigging and derigging every time we moved, and I could only reach by using the high level berth ladder - and then only just. It did give perfectly good results though, our requirements are minimal, we don't watch a lot of TV when away and will happily settle for a video if reception is poor.

Unfortunately the brackets broke last time I derigged it (they were glued on, one came away altogether) This has prompted me to look for a different solution - preferably one that means I don't have to rig and derig when we move. A permanent roof mounted jobbie looks to be the answer - but I don't want to spend a lot of money - any ideas?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
For our Autoquest we bought a Vision Plus aerial plus Broken Link Removed.

It worked OK. The plates stayed glued to the van when it was written off but we still have the other bits up in the loft I think :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A permanent roof mounted jobbie looks to be the answer - but I don't want to spend a lot of money - any ideas?

Sort of depends on what is "a lot".

You have a few hours to have a go at ebay

The only proper solution.

Or ebay

I have this, works well.

DO NOT EVEN THINK OF BUYING ANYTHING WITH "OMNI-DIRECTIONAL" IN THE DESCRIPTION.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks for the suggestions, Hilldweller - but a little more than I was looking to pay when taking into account the cost of fitting.

What about a
Avtex STH1000 Suction Mounted Caravan TV Aerial

Looks nice and easy and mostly good reviews.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Currently have this Avtex.

Broken Link Removed

We have tried them all and this is the best yet. Also easy to fit either temporary with lock sucker or fis it with screws. Both brackets provided.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for the suggestions, Hilldweller - but a little more than I was looking to pay when taking into account the cost of fitting.

What about a

Not in the same league, it's an omni-directional one but may be good enough for your needs. I must say, I've always thought that writing Avtex on a product seems to greatly increase it's price compared to the competition. A bit like Apple.

Omni-directional = normal vision.
Directional = good pair of binoculars.

Of course with a directional one you do need to point it in the right direction.

lynnian

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Ace Genova
Exp
Since 2008
Indoor tv aerial

Hi
We have been using one of these 'SLx Philex Gold digiTop Aerial - indoor TV/Radio aerial BNIB
got it from ebay, just sits in the top of wardrobe with a 12v supply from van battery and gives a good picture. Just takes a few minutes to set up. I didn't think we would get a picture through aluminium sides of van but is ok.
Ian

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We got one from Maiplin this weekend, £45 as turned up to site and couldnt use satellite on account of enormous trees! It worked very well, and we were able to run it off the 12v power on the TV (AVTEX - make sure you find menu to turn antennae power on) We stuck it on the inside of the window and did the trick - didn't get all channels but were in a valley surrounding by very big trees, so dont think anything would have picked up all channels (we did get all bbc and various ITV's, plus radio)

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Sort of depends on what is "a lot".

You have a few hours to have a go at ebay

The only proper solution.
We have one of these and it works better than any of the others we've tried in the past.
Also, for 69p you can download an app called "Antenna Finder" which makes directing your aerial a doddle...:thumb:

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
Not in the same league, it's an omni-directional one but may be good enough for your needs. I must say, I've always thought that writing Avtex on a product seems to greatly increase it's price compared to the competition. A bit like Apple.

Of course with a directional one you do need to point it in the right direction.

I think you will find that the above Avtex is a directional aerial.

Nov 19, 2013
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Sold up!
Exp
since 2013

What about a

I bought the Avtex STH2000 which is a 12/24v version at the Yorkshire motorhome show last weekend for less than the internet price of the STH1000. Two people said to us as we wandered the show that they used them and thought they were great.
Not tried it yet but away next week so will comment on return.

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990

Quote Sifta Sam

I think you will find that the above Avtex is a directional aerial.

You are absolutely right Sam. The Avtex STH 1000 is a 20 dB Digital DIRECTIONAL Antenna and not OMNI-DIRECTIONAL as Brian has said. :ROFLMAO: It has a built in low noise amplifier. :thumb:

This antenna is the best I have ever tried and finds more stations on our drive than our domestic TV Antenna. :Eeek:

A brilliant aerial! :thumb:

We have had Status aerials in the past and they were never a success for us. :thumbdown:

Of course, if you are close to a transmitter any aerial will do. Even a wet piece of string will produce a good signal in these circumstances. :Doh:

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
I have the avtex and been very impressed, bought it at the NEC show and wasn't sure how good it would be, usual sales patter from avtex, however in practice its been excellent and more importantly u don't have to drill your roof on the van which has got to b a good thing because eventually that holes going to leak guaranteed

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

OH dear Brian I too have the Status 530 (8 yrs)and it is a brilliant bit of kit :thumb: but I have also bought the Avtex one and stuck it in the new van along with a long coax lead and I will also echo what others have said another brill bit of kit :Smile::thumb:--When I bought it my man Paul poo pooed it saying I should have paid the £130 for another 530 but once he fitted it into the wardrobe muttering loudly a waste of time and money calling me a tight git ::bigsmile:He proceeded to connected it to the tv saying -right it should find 138 channels from here it will be lucky if it finds 10 :Eeek:His next words were that's very impressive :thumb:I never get impressed with Ariel much it's found them all :thumb: He proceeded to take it off the screwed muont and fix it with the suction mount all over the van -on the side window side of van on the roof you name it he tried it -all the time it just needed a little tweek on the position for a picture -like others have said it is directional :thumb: and at 40 quid you are right not in the same league as the 530 but at the price it's probably 3 places above it being that you can buy 3 of them for less than the price of one :thumb:::bigsmile:--it is very good Brian :Smile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back