Appledore Parking (1 Viewer)

Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
Been out on the bike (from home) and noticed 3 vans using the Car Park at Appledore, North Devon for Overnighting. A great spot to wake up along side the river Torridge. Had a chat with a friendly and helpful parking attendant. He is Motorhome friendly!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
:thumb:Just had a "proper" look on google street map and it looks a really nice place to overnight.
The restriction of a maximum of two nights is good, in my opinion, as it hopefully will stop long term parking messing it up for others.
Anyway, we would want to be moving somewhere else after two days as we would need a change of pubs/restaurants by then. ::bigsmile:

It is now on our "to do" list :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Greetings,

A bit more on this subject.

The lady who runs the Caravan Site really knows her customers - NOT!

Broken Link Removed

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Greetings,

Broken Link Removed

I agree with you on that.

With on-board everything these days it isn't necessary to be on electric hook-up and have access to water every day.
In fact, for several days.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Greetings,

Broken Link Removed

I agree with you on that.

With on-board everything these days it isn't necessary to be on electric hook-up and have access to water every day.
In fact, for several days.
I think she probably doesn't know the motorhome "community" as a whole, only those for whom she caters. There are motorhomers who prefer to use sites with facilities.

It would be interesting to know if her business has, in fact, been adversely affected as I would guess the car parks would be used more by people who tend to camp off-site or use temporary sites/meets rather than full facility sites.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I think she probably doesn't know the motorhome "community" as a whole, only those for whom she caters. There are motorhomers who prefer to use sites with facilities.

It would be interesting to know if her business has, in fact, been adversely affected as I would guess the car parks would be used more by people who tend to camp off-site or use temporary sites/meets rather than full facility sites.

We tend to do a mixture of both. Most of our journeys have no definite plans, only an area to travel too. We tend to decide on the next location over a few glasses of something the night before we move. Even then, plans alter on a whim and how "welcoming" an area feels.

Yes, it would be interesting to know if it hurts her business. I don't suppose it will, as you say, different requirements in the MH fraternity.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Just out of interest I had a look on the map to see where Stoke Barton Farm is in relation to Appledore.

It is a fair old bus ride away so I don't really think it would take too much trade away if people park in Appledore.

Different people with different needs.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just out of interest I had a look on the map to see where Stoke Barton Farm is in relation to Appledore.

It is a fair old bus ride away so I don't really think it would take too much trade away if people park in Appledore.

Different people with different needs.

She was probably the first person the paper could get to give a quote without them having to work [STRIKE]too hard[/STRIKE] ::bigsmile:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think it's a great idea and welcome the facility. I'm not sure if I would use it or not, but I'm pleased it is available.

Some people like to be on a luxury site with all the bells and whistles, some like to be on a more basic site and some like to wild it. Many will combination camp. Each type of motor-homing has it's own place and as long as no harm is done we should live and let be.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Without intending to, the campsite owner made the perfect case for why this should bring in additional trade to the area, which will have been the council's objective.

She is quite correct - the customers she gets will not want to stay in a car park. They will continue to stay on her site, so no loss of trade to her, but those that are fully self-contained & who wouldn't stay on her site anyway, now do have somewhere to stay & will spend money in the town.

It's also quite likely that those staying on the car park will spend more money in the town than those on her site. They probably don't spend any more in total in the area, because the others are paying site fees, but they will certainly benefit the town traders more.

That article was written 18 months ago. They have had one full season under the new arrangements, but there don't seem to have been any follow-up articles in the paper. So it can't have turned out too badly then.
:Smile:

OP
OP
jemhorn
Nov 13, 2013
Bideford, Devon
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessora 487
Exp
since 2011
I did speak to the council and they received nearly £2K in the first year. This can only increase and perhaps we'll start lobbying for a service point, but don't hold your breath! I am lucky living in such a beautiful area and now having reasonable charge overnighting in Appledore, Bideford, Westward Ho!. Torrington and Holsworthy, will hopefully mean it can be shared with others. Best to visit before or just after the main season.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
shall add this to my list of places to overnight..
one of my favourite places near to home at tankerton slopes near whitstable has recently put up many new signs banning motor homes from parking between the hours of 6.30pm and 8.30am, not sure if they're enforceable though as no yellow lines anywhere on the road, apologies for going off topic in the thread, but its a favourite place of mine to spend the night when I come home from being away but don't actually want to go home and face the daily grind again..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
shall add this to my list of places to overnight..
one of my favourite places near to home at tankerton slopes near whitstable has recently put up many new signs banning motor homes from parking between the hours of 6.30pm and 8.30am, [HI]not sure if they're enforceable though[/HI] as no yellow lines anywhere on the road, apologies for going off topic in the thread, but its a favourite place of mine to spend the night when I come home from being away but don't actually want to go home and face the daily grind again..

They are perfectly enforceable under the Broken Link Removed made last year (Article 43). Although the order is made by the County Council it was made in consultation with Canterbury City Council.

As we all know, Canterbury City Council is one of the most motorhome friendly in the country (and I am aware that they are looking to add to parking provision for motorhomes in both Whitstable and Herne Bay). However, they also have the views of residents to consider so employ parking restrictions where necessary in order to strike a balance.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
thanks for that info, 'tis a shame though that the restriction starts so early in the evening particularly for those that have spent the day there and would like to maybe finish off the day with a meal at a pub or fish and chips on the grass and watch the sun go down..

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I live in Bideford and often see MH's parked on the road next to the carpark in Appledore,too tight to buy a ticket!

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
They are perfectly enforceable under the Broken Link Removed made last year (Article 43). Although the order is made by the County Council it was made in consultation with Canterbury City Council.

As we all know, Canterbury City Council is one of the most motorhome friendly in the country (and I am aware that they are looking to add to parking provision for motorhomes in both Whitstable and Herne Bay). However, they also have the views of residents to consider so employ parking restrictions where necessary in order to strike a balance.

not wishing to go off topic as this is about the appledore parking, and it's sad that the actions of a few have buggered it for others, but somehow it seems very unfair to single out only motorhomes when any other type of vehicle is not restricted from parking there at all..

would be interested to know what parking provision they're going to provide in whitstable and herne bay, and indeed for those with disabled blue badges, there seems to be less provision for these each year, and i do know because i live in the area and use those places very frequently as do friends of mine who are constantly moaning about it..
but guess thats for another thread..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back