I can't tow it?? (1 Viewer)

M

MammaLL

Deleted User
Hello
i am not having much luck getting a response to my other thread.

We would like to get a large toy hauler 5th wheel to full time in but we are very unsure if we can legally tow it in the UK? we are looking at over 37ft.

can anyone help us here, or point us in the right direction?

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Hello
i am not having much luck getting a response to my other thread.

We would like to get a large toy hauler 5th wheel to full time in but we are very unsure if we can legally tow it in the UK? we are looking at over 37ft.

can anyone help us here, or point us in the right direction?

Sundowner on here tows a biggish US 5th wheel.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi, along with other fifth wheel owners on this forum we tow a fairly large outfit but not as large as the others we believe.

Are you visiting the Malvern Motorhome Show this weekend at the Three Counties Showground, if so you can catch us there but we are spending the weekend with the Adventure Dismountable and Fifth Wheel Club as new members, but we will be visiting the Motorhome Fun area to say Hi.

This weekend we are in our Truck Camper it's a Fleetwood Elkhorn on a black Dodge Ram.

There are a few things which could give problems, we don't have these, but we could discuss your situation to see if there are any that we know of that could affect you.

I do believe there are going to be some other fifth wheel owners visiting with motorhome fun this weekend, see the fifth wheel section on this forum.

We live in Suffolk and made the journey over to this side today and are staying on a small cl site 12 miles away from Malvern, so should arrive at around 12 p.m. tomorrow after a nice lie-in.

Nigel and Pamala - Sundowners

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
And here it is in English :Smile: Although I can't see any mention of 5'ers though :roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

K

kayzee bounder

Deleted User
Trailers.

The content of that seems to relate to vehicles of whatever catagory only, fact is a non commercial trailer is not recognised as a "Vehicle" in the U.K so type approval etc., don't seem to apply ...so far. Using a large 5th wheel recreational trailer here seems to be a matter of choice long as it complies with the basic's I.E brakes lights etc.,. I use a 36' 5th, i know another on here uses a 41' and this is before the tow vehicle is attached. For now it seems to be back to the driving licence requirement and the over 750 kg's rules. Until i find something more informative thats what i'm using as my guideline. If you want to go for a 5th and a biggish one.. do it, i and others have:thumb:

OP
OP
M

MammaLL

Deleted User
The content of that seems to relate to vehicles of whatever catagory only, fact is a non commercial trailer is not recognised as a "Vehicle" in the U.K so type approval etc., don't seem to apply ...so far. Using a large 5th wheel recreational trailer here seems to be a matter of choice long as it complies with the basic's I.E brakes lights etc.,. I use a 36' 5th, i know another on here uses a 41' and this is before the tow vehicle is attached. For now it seems to be back to the driving licence requirement and the over 750 kg's rules. Until i find something more informative thats what i'm using as my guideline. If you want to go for a 5th and a biggish one.. do it, i and others have:thumb:

Thanks for the encouragement we really need it at the moment as there is so much conflicting advice and its such a BIG decision!
The 5th wheels we are looking at are toy haulers, is this a different kettle of fish? We dont intend to haul any vehicle but to convert the garage into a kids room.
Have heard that a toy hauler might be classified as a vehicle transporter?

Thanks again everyone for your pearls of wisdom!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
In my opinion it only become a different kettle of fish when the toy hauler has an engine, and falls into differing tax and mot classes
as yours is nothing more than a trailer, albeit a very very posh trailer you have nothing to worry about
As appealing as it may seem you cant tow the kids in the kids room:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo:thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Everything changes when you carry "cargo" eg. if we carried ANYTHING related to our business in the truck or 5er the brakes would be illegal plus the trailer would have to be plated/tested. If the load is just your personel stuff you should be ok,it is afterall a caravan, all this info is as I see it, as has been suggested if you want it in writing, ask DVLA and VOSA. We try not to attract too much attention and ask too many questions because everyone interepts the rules differently. Gypsies tow 8ft wide caravans with whatever is available, so I don't see the width arguments can hold water.
Nigel & Pamala

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back