Fiat broken down after 200 miles (brand new)- ? coolant issue, any experience (1 Viewer)

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Collected brand new, zero mileage m/h Wednesday on a fiat Diesel engine. Had a brilliant weekend away and then 20 miles from home, lost all power, heat gauge shot up and dash advice to stop engine(no choice anyway) engined cooled and of we went again limping back for last 20 miles with intermittent power issues. Have called fiat recovery who will come tomorrow morning but have found our coolant is completely empty. Any experience, ideas. Hoping it's not major as off for the big trip in 10 days.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's bad news. Hope it can be fixed - it might be something simple. Hope so anyway.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like a loose or faulty hose, but could be a number of potential issues that will be sorted under warranty

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Was there sign of a coolant leak under the van? sounds like it had no coolant to begin with :Eeek:

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Was there sign of a coolant leak under the van? sounds like it had no coolant to begin with :Eeek:

Didn't notice a leak, but then again wasn't looking for one, but presume it would have shown up a lot sooner, perhaps after 50 miles and on the big hill climbs when making the engine work hard - which it managed superbly on the first journey. Hoping its as "big1" says just a fault hose.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Wow, that's seriously frustrating! :Sad:

Do hope you get it sorted quickly without any major issues.

Mike

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Don't tell the garage the full story you have told here. If they think you drove it 20 miles with a dashlight on telling you to stop they might get difficult over warranty.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Don't tell the garage the full story you have told here. If they think you drove it 20 miles with a dashlight on telling you to stop they might get difficult over warranty.

I'd second that, you will have to be economical with the truth as they say, that's not lying. The thing is, 20 miles with no coolant, loss of power, engine light pleading stop and most likely high temperature could have effected or warped the cylinder head ( hopefully not). Have you removed the engine oil filler cap? If the inside is full of milky sludge, theres a good chance it or head gasket has popped. I must say, if I were in the same position, 20 miles from home, "limp home? Or call breakdown and be put out for 40 minutes or so?" I'd call breakdown as I don't have warranty to fall back on and any further damage caused would be additional expense to me.:Doh: It would depend if htmbo was wanting to get back for Emmerdale.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
:thumb:good luk funster.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Totally disagree, tell the garage everything! I've lost count of the time I've wasted over the years trying to find a fault only for the customer to tell me one more tiny little bit of "uimportant" information an hour into the job which has led me straight to the problem.

Knowledge is power when diagnosing faults!

D.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Tell the garage everything

On a modern vehicle I suspect the diagnostics will tell them when you stopped and when the fault was shown on the dash

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I agree with Dave, and regardless, once the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) is plugged in it would tell the garage times on and off and duration.

Any "benefit of the doubt" can often hinge on the attitude of the customer, and how much time you have had to waste getting to the bottom of exactly what had happened.

You would want honesty from the trade, for exactly the same reasons:thumb:

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
If you have had a light on the dash telling you to stop, and you have continued to drive 20 miles, possibly without water, i would not be telling the garage that.
If the worst comes to the worst, gid forbid
You may need a new engine , and they will try to wriggle out of it

Good luck

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Shades of the old Rover engine - loads did their head gasket in and Rover wriggled out the claims by saying it says you should check the coolant.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It still sounds to me like it had no coolant at all, perhaps a factory oversight :Eeek:
Surely if it had leaked there would be sign of it and certainly steam from the engine bay.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On a modern vehicle I suspect the diagnostics will tell them when you stopped and when the fault was shown on the dash

I am sure you are right but the driver doesn't have to say he spotted the light! OK, this could be taken as dishonesty but in the worst case the OP could be looking at a new engine on a vehicle only 200 miles old. It should not have lost its coolant and the electronics, if they are so clever, should have shut the engine down and it should have been impossible to drive it if the coolant level was so low the engine was likely to be damaged.

I hope it all turns out sell but running a vehicle with low coolant could at the very least lead to a warped head.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
Update - light to stop came on - we did, waited 20 minutes, restarted no problem ( thought at time loose wire for sensor/ electronics)and popped into friend 10 minutes away to show off new toy. Stayed for a cuppa and drove home, light did not come on again but had intermittent power drops, so drove very slowly.
Called fiat assist last night and opted for RAC visit this morning. They couldn't adequately access water pump area, but also discovered no oil, (no sign of oil leak). New purchase has now been loaded up and taken away for investigation - just 5 days old. Fingers crossed its minor, and can get it back soon. My goodness, all that advice to do a shake down trip gratefully received, as we could have been in Belgium on the same miles.:cry:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Wow no oil in either, the engine could be ruined.

Who did you buy it off, surely it should have been fully checked before pick up.

Paul.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
won't name the dealer, doesn't seem fair, and do have a few other after sales issues which they are rectifying as raised immediately on collection - e.g. options ordered did not materialise, despite checking at least 10 times before delivery., but that said they are resolving.
The water levels were checked on collection, and were full, however did not check the oil - why would you, with a brand new vehicle, never have before, and have always had new cars.
However, I have telephoned them to raise my concerns, so all is logged. I often feel it is how you deal with a complaint that is important. Just hope we haven't got a lemon for a home

easygirl

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Kontiki
Exp
3 years
Sure it will all be sorted, and not as bad as you think
Fingers crossed:Smile:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Update - light to stop came on - we did, waited 20 minutes, restarted no problem ( thought at time loose wire for sensor/ electronics)and popped into friend 10 minutes away to show off new toy. Stayed for a cuppa and drove home, light did not come on again but had intermittent power drops, so drove very slowly.
Called fiat assist last night and opted for RAC visit this morning. They couldn't adequately access water pump area, but also discovered no oil, (no sign of oil leak). New purchase has now been loaded up and taken away for investigation - just 5 days old. Fingers crossed its minor, and can get it back soon. My goodness, all that advice to do a shake down trip gratefully received, as we could have been in Belgium on the same miles.:cry:

No oil , no water!!!, don't think it's minor mate, afraid if it was mine I would be very worried, even if they get it going it'll never be right after being run like that,press for a new engine as hard as you can. :Sad:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It's fortunate it had brake fluid by the sound of it. I think I'd be wanting a refund :Sad:
So much for PDI's

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It sounds to me as if the water and oil have drained out somehow whilst driving, otherwise I would have expected the engine to sieze up completely and much sooner.

Wishing you the best of luck and hope it's sorted for you very soon.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when ever I have collected a new vehicle I usually would check the fluid level as a normal thing I have never her of this sort of thing happening :Eeek:
before I get in a vehicle I always do a walk round light steering tyre oil water normal thing to do or am I just being ott
bill

themogs

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Not Long Enough.
Fiat broken down after 200 miles

:cry:I'm sure they'll sort it in time for the big trip:thumb::thumb:
What a sad way to end your first trip in the new M/H !!!:cry:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
:cry:I'm sure they'll sort it in time for the big trip:thumb::thumb:
What a sad way to end your first trip in the new M/H !!!:cry:

Sorry but I think it wants more than sorting, I wouldn't think of going abroad until it's got a new engine, by what you say has happened to it, it's knackered now, even if it is new , you can't run an engine 20 miles with no oil and water, the power drops you mentioned would be the engine seizing then freeing again as it cooled:Eeek: it's twisted and distorted and glazed and all sorts now probably buggered the belts as well by overheating, not to put a fine point on it , it's kaput:Eeek:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't help thinking about this, if it's got no oil , why didn't the oil light come on, if there's no sign of an oil leak , where's it gone, surely it must have had some in at the factory, that's a fiat thing not the dealer, they wouldn't even load it without oil, have you upset someone or something and they let it out at the campsite or just even vandals , why didn't engine management shut it down, just strange.:Sad:

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
When you first turn the key, Fiat Ducato dash info panel comes up with a bargraph showing oil level.

OP
OP
Soozywoozy

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
I know strange - but maybe there was enough residual. RAC man said we wouldnt have been able to drive at all if it had suddenly all gone. When we started it up this morning to drive onto the low loader, it started perfect, sounded perfect and if you didnt know, you wouldnt have known anything wrong! Temperature gauge perfect. We initially thought it was an electronic thing as the light came on when we were going through the trip computer menu, and having had land rovers we kinda got used to lots of bings and bongs electronically which disappear as soon as they arrive!
We will await the report from the garage!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back