Anyone heard of Roodog ebikes (1 Viewer)

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Just spent a pleasant afternoon at the Yorkshire Motorhome exhibtion thingy at the Yorkshire show ground near Harrogate.

I am seriously tempted by the Roodog ebikes. My wife and I spent a good half hour whizzing around outside the main hall on them. I was amazed that my wife loved it straight away. Any new toy and I'm excited, but I didn't expect her to be.

Does anyone know of these Roodog electric bikes. I know they are relatively new, but the staff seemed really nice and I'm thinking of going back tomorrow and buying two.

Any guidance will be much appreciated before I dust down my wallet in the morning.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
'fraid I can't give any expert advice, but I looked at a website called Pedelecs. There is a forum on there that briefly mentions them. Nothing negative, but as the forum is run by a retailer, they obviously lean towards their own promotions. However, if it's any use, there is a "Buying your first ebike" button at very bottom left of their forum page.

As you say, the Roodog bikes are new here in UK. They look pretty good to me. Nice design - look sturdy. I would want to know though what the spares situation is.

Sorry couldn't help further

Regards
James

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
The company were at the Newark show, nice looking bikes but heavy - the lightest being 20kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We tried the folding 20" RooDog Bliss ones at Newark and they were okay but I didn't like the seating position as the handlebars seemed to be too close to the seat for comfortable use for more than a few minutes especially if pedalling and not using any power at all. They are also a bit heavy and, compared to some other makes, a bit expensive for the same thing, for example to have the twist throttle it was another £25, something I think should have been standard for even the 'show special' discount price of £701.

We've been looking at e-bikes for a few years now and finally took the plunge by buying a couple of the below Pro Rider Wayfarers which are lightweight being only 15kg (without the battery) which will make them easier to lift on/off the bike rack (we'd remove the batteries each time anyway), or stowing under our camper's bed, and less weight when just pedalling. I haven't actually ridden these but have tried ones with a very similar design and the frame size is the same as our current folding bikes which are longer than the RooDog ones and are in our view more comfortable, so we were happy to buy them sight unseen. By ringing the company rather than buying off Ebay we got £20 off each bike too:

Broken Link Removed

Ours will arrive on Monday so all beingn well I'll be able to report back on Tuesday how we get on with them .... we'll have to give them a good charge up first so will have to resist the temptation to 'try' them too soon! ::bigsmile:

I've tried to show the difference in the pictures below, they are both around the same size in the images with the same size 'box' drawn on them, so you can see the difference in the frame size and therefore from handlebars to seat, some of the 'lost' space is taken up by there being a larger gap between the battery and the rear wheel on the Roodog.

Attachments

• jpg - PR Wayfarer.jpg
    jpg - PR Wayfarer.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 38
  • jpg - RD Bliss.jpg
    jpg - RD Bliss.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I am tempted to look at these bikes for my wife but I find it hard to imagine being able to put any sort of decent charge into them without a regular hook up (which is not what we do).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I am tempted to look at these bikes for my wife but I find it hard to imagine being able to put any sort of decent charge into them without a regular hook up (which is not what we do).
That is one of the things that has prevented us getting them in the past, however whilst travelling in the camper from place to place we can use an inverter to charge the batteries, and if necessary in the UK will use a site/CL once a week, but when abroad we will be able to use bornes on aires/stellplatz to keep them topped up, however with the range they do I don't think we'll need to top them up that often as most of the time we'll use them in pedal assist, rather than power only mode.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Before buying ask the price and availability of replacement batteries
Our elec bike batteries died at 3 years old and we were quoted £300 each for replacements
We have sorted the problem now by modifying he bikes to take motor cycle batteries
(Thanks to BRian hill dweller)
Check out AS bikes, I am sure they will have a stand at the show
Unbeatable service , fair prices and replacement batteries £140
Plus Adrian, the guy that runs it is a smashing block that will not give you any bulls#it:thumb:

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We tried the folding 20" RooDog Bliss ones at Newark and they were okay but I didn't like the seating position as the handlebars seemed to be too close to the seat for comfortable use for more than a few minutes especially if pedalling and not using any power at all. They are also a bit heavy and, compared to some other makes, a bit expensive for the same thing, for example to have the twist throttle it was another £25, something I think should have been standard for even the 'show special' discount price of £701.

We've been looking at e-bikes for a few years now and finally took the plunge by buying a couple of the below Pro Rider Wayfarers which are lightweight being only 15kg (without the battery) which will make them easier to lift on/off the bike rack (we'd remove the batteries each time anyway), or stowing under our camper's bed, and less weight when just pedalling. I haven't actually ridden these but have tried ones with a very similar design and the frame size is the same as our current folding bikes which are longer than the RooDog ones and are in our view more comfortable, so we were happy to buy them sight unseen. By ringing the company rather than buying off Ebay we got £20 off each bike too:

Broken Link Removed

Ours will arrive on Monday so all beingn well I'll be able to report back on Tuesday how we get on with them .... we'll have to give them a good charge up first so will have to resist the temptation to 'try' them too soon! ::bigsmile:

I've tried to show the difference in the pictures below, they are both around the same size in the images with the same size 'box' drawn on them, so you can see the difference in the frame size and therefore from handlebars to seat, some of the 'lost' space is taken up by there being a larger gap between the battery and the rear wheel on the Roodog.

I was seriously considering folders again as I love the standard folding bikes we already have.

But I figured I'd take the plunge and get something that I can (hopefully) use on a day to day basis for going to the shops and stuff.

I sure know what you mean about weight, as the one I'm looking at - The Tourer - is over 23 kg, and my wife liked the polka dot one, which was something like 21 or 22. But those weights do include the batteries.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Before buying ask the price and availability of replacement batteries
Our elec bike batteries died at 3 years old and we were quoted £300 each for replacements
We have sorted the problem now by modifying he bikes to take motor cycle batteries
(Thanks to BRian hill dweller)
Check out AS bikes, I am sure they will have a stand at the show
Unbeatable service , fair prices and replacement batteries £140
Plus Adrian, the guy that runs it is a smashing block that will not give you any bulls#it:thumb:

I'm heading back over now, so I'll definitely have a look for AS.

I hate having to make a decision. I'm always worried I've missed out on seeing something that would have been better.

OP
OP
yorkieman
Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ended up buying two of the Roodogs yesterday.

I checked out everything else and ended up with those because:

1. They were so stylish

2. The people on the stand were really nice

3. They made absolutely no effort to SELL them to us. They just helped us without any pressure at all.

4. They let me and the wife taken them outside for a test spin on several occasions and we were gone a long time

5. The price seemed fair

Hopefully, they'll be arriving tomorrow so we're both really excited. I'll post a review after we've had enough time to thoroughly test them out.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Our new bikes have arrived!!! :thumb:

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back