Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
it is our practice, when staying on organised sites, to pick a pitch near enough to a water tap and drain to both fill and empty fresh and grey tanks without moving. for this purpose we carry several fresh water hoses, and plenty of macerator exhaust hose. we are currently on cirencester c & c club site, where anti-siphon taps have been fitted to all but one tap (at the MH service point). As a result, it is no longer possible to fill from a hose at all, and have suffered the "indignity" of having to buy an aqua roll and pump to fill. i understand that this has been done at the insistence of the local water authority. is this health and safety gone mad, or is it possible for water to flow back into the system from a hose? couldn't a non-return valve have done the job, which would still allow a hose to be used?

des

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO:Ever thougt of driving your van to the tap :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry
Ihave some hoselol things that do what you say -don't allow back fill- they have gone mad
heeehee

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I don't quite understand your problem Des anti syphon devises have been mandatory and in use for quite a while now but they don't stop a tap or hose from being used in fact thats the whole point of them to stop water from a hose going back into the system, the problem as i see it is water can go stagnant in a hose left for long periods, and a pressure drop in the mains will syphon water from the hose back into the mains
Please explain why you cant connect a hose to the tap in more detail
Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I don't think this is anything new is it? As far as I know it goes back at least as far as the Water Industry Act 1991. The requirement is for some device in the system to prevent backflow into the water main which might lead to contamination.

I fitted screw-on anti-siphon devices to our outside garden taps years ago. They don't prevent use of a hose because they have standard screw threads for attaching normal push-on hose fittings.

Graham

OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi graham & geo

these taps have some sort of back-pressure detector, which prevents the use of a hose. water simply gushes out the top of the fitting if you try.

terry

thanks for the idea. yes, i used to do just that. but it's quite a rigmarole, with an awning to bring in, stuff to move to bring in the slideouts, and simply manoevring on and off pitches without damaging the grass. and then, someone usually gets p@@@@ed off waiting while we put loads of water in. and, on many sites, the dump points are not easily accessible, and it often works better to pump out into a grey water drain. anyway, it's good lazy stuff to unroll a hose & fill while enjoying a quiet cup of tea or whatever takes your fancy.

des

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Des, it was said tounge in cheek type of thing :ROFLMAO: I have been behind a rv waiting to fill up so know of the efforts you have to go through :thumb:It must be ball acheing filling up with a roller barrel also.:thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

itexuk

Free Member
Apr 3, 2008
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat x250
Exp
hi graham & geo

these taps have some sort of back-pressure detector, which prevents the use of a hose. water simply gushes out the top of the fitting if you try.

terry

thanks for the idea. yes, i used to do just that. but it's quite a rigmarole, with an awning to bring in, stuff to move to bring in the slideouts, and simply manoevring on and off pitches without damaging the grass. and then, someone usually gets p@@@@ed off waiting while we put loads of water in. and, on many sites, the dump points are not easily accessible, and it often works better to pump out into a grey water drain. anyway, it's good lazy stuff to unroll a hose & fill while enjoying a quiet cup of tea or whatever takes your fancy.

des

Take the other end off the hose ( the gun bit) then no back pressure. Should work then.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Take the other end off the hose ( the gun bit) then no back pressure. Should work then.
So long as he dosent connect to his city water cos it will re pressurise, but he could still fill the tank that way for sure
I havent seen any devises as decribed, its a new one on me and I cant figure it's role in life???
Geo

OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i may be daft, but i'm not bl**dy stupid. when i say it won't work with a hose, i mean "it won't work with a hose". even the filler pipe for an aqua roll won't work with these taps. everyone i've seen on this site fills their roll tanks by placing the barrel filler roughly under the tap, and filling without any connection. must be some new "wonderful" sort of tap. i'll take a photo, and when i get home, upload it to this thread.

des

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Me neither Des but if a tap wont work with a hose, any hose, in my book its not a tap:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
i may be daft, but i'm not bl**dy stupid. when i say it won't work with a hose, i mean "it won't work with a hose". even the filler pipe for an aqua roll won't work with these taps. everyone i've seen on this site fills their roll tanks by placing the barrel filler roughly under the tap, and filling without any connection. must be some new "wonderful" sort of tap. i'll take a photo, and when i get home, upload it to this thread.

des

It'll certainly be interesting to see it.

Graham

P.S. I don't suppose there's a way in which you could "fawcet"?
Sorry :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
here it is

Attachments

• anti siphon.jpg
    anti siphon.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 46

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
By 'eck that's a beast ain't it :Smile:

Looking at the photo it appears that the brass end will screw off - which would then allow a hozelock fitting to be screwed on in its place - similar to the brass & plastic attachments we have fitted to our outside taps.

Graham

Attachments

• brass.JPG
    brass.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 40
  • plastic.JPG
    plastic.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 40
OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi graham

yes, if it were on my wall, not a problem. but i suspect the wardens would have me locked up if i did that. anyway, probably done me a favour, as i am now able to fill without a hose for the first time. will have to make a new locker to store the aqua roll, though. fortunately, not difficult!

des

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
So long as you're sorted out Des, that's the main thing.

I wouldn't have thought they would mind you unscrewing and then replacing the end fitting though. I normally fill our tank using a 25 litre jerry can and short hose with submersible pump but I have filled direct from the tap with a longer hose - and have unscrewed/replaced that type of end fitting to do so.

Maybe I'll have to check for nobody else about if I do so again ::bigsmile:

Graham

OP
OP
des

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
hi graham

the fitting is screwed on using ptfe tape, so is not intended to be removed. in any case, i have pretty well solved the problem now. fortunately i have spare area in the RV basement which can easily be converted to a locker big enough to hold the aqua roll and assorted bits, and i will put in a 12 v socket there so the whole procedure becomes pretty straight forward. just hope no other site fits these darned things.

des

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back