Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Never leave a campsite with your clothes line tied to a lamp post.
Having recently purchased our 2007 AS Nuevo I have been spending many enjoyable hours learning how it all works and our initial nights away have been really easy and stress free with all the systems working perfectly. However being an ex motor mechanic I thought I would run through the drill for changing a wheel should we be unlucky enough to get a puncture.

There is no way on earth that anyone could possibly loosen the wheel nuts with the equipment supplied by Peugeot. Also I would be very wary of the jack especially when jacking the rear as it could easily slip. A call to my local garage man (also a motor homer) to ask what torque the nuts should be and I was told that virtually no one bothers to even try now and they just let the AA or whoever take care of it.

So I guess I either purchase a torque wrench and a 22mm socket or I comply with the above. I also notice that the jack kit supplied with the vehicle weighs in at about 10 Kilos so if we were to let the AA take the strain then it would make sense to leave it out and use the additional payload for things we actually need.

What do the rest of you guys do?

Tinca

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Having recently purchased our 2007 AS Nuevo I have been spending many enjoyable hours learning how it all works and our initial nights away have been really easy and stress free with all the systems working perfectly. However being an ex motor mechanic I thought I would run through the drill for changing a wheel should we be unlucky enough to get a puncture.

There is no way on earth that anyone could possibly loosen the wheel nuts with the equipment supplied by Peugeot. Also I would be very wary of the jack especially when jacking the rear as it could easily slip. A call to my local garage man (also a motor homer) to ask what torque the nuts should be and I was told that virtually no one bothers to even try now and they just let the AA or whoever take care of it.

So I guess I either purchase a torque wrench and a 22mm socket or I comply with the above. I also notice that the jack kit supplied with the vehicle weighs in at about 10 Kilos so if we were to let the AA take the strain then it would make sense to leave it out and use the additional payload for things we actually need.

Tinca

I don't have a spare wheel, so I pray a lot:ROFLMAO: well there was no spare supplied, so I bought one, but still don't have a jack, wheel brace etc. would rely on recovery / breakdown service in the event of puncture.

John

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Tinca

Buy an extending wrench from Halfords ( or elsewhere ) and get changing the tyre. Forget the torque, just tighten as much as possible with an extending wrench, it won't fall off.

The standard scissor jack works fin on ours. "My slip", I wonder if you are putting it in the right place.

You want to rely on outside help in the middle of France - no way. If you aren't going to the middle of France then sell your MH it's wasted on you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Greenacres

Free Member
Jan 10, 2013
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van t620
Exp
13 years since retirement and many younger years as a Hippy in a VW conversion, roaming the Greek Is
Before I discovered the spare wheel, having been told by the dealer that there wasn't one, just the gunk quick fix it kit, I spent a long time researching PunctureSafe on the recommendation of a fellow motorhomer. They are a reputable company and they come to your home to do the work. Takes about 30 mins to fill 4 tyres. The Royal Mail have used it in their vans for years. Video on You Tube .

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Before I discovered the spare wheel, having been told by the dealer that there wasn't one, just the gunk quick fix it kit, I spent a long time researching PunctureSafe on the recommendation of a fellow motorhomer. They are a reputable company and they come to your home to do the work. Takes about 30 mins to fill 4 tyres. The Royal Mail have used it in their vans for years. Video on You Tube .

I have puncture safe stuff in my tyres as well but be aware most tyre fitters will say they can't repair a tyre with puncture safe in, new tyre will be required. Also may be a coincidence but since I had it put in, I have had to replace all of the tyre valves as tyres were going down very slowly, Jims tyre monitors were flashing like Blackpool illuminations. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
You want to rely on outside help in the middle of France - no way. If you aren't going to the middle of France then sell your MH it's wasted on you.

Many thanks for the advice, but if its all the same to you we will go wherever we fancy in our motorhome thank you very much.

Tinca

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
The supplied jack is a decent pillar model (Sprinter base vehicle). I carry a high-impact socket to fit the wheel nuts, an extension bar to clear the bodywork, a long breaker-bar to undo the nuts and a TengTools torque wrench to do them up again. Torque settings are in the Hymer manual.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Many thanks for the advice, but if its all the same to you we will go wherever we fancy in our motorhome thank you very much.

Tinca

Huh ???? Wrong side of the bed perchance ?
What was meant was if you are in the wilds of France ( or elsewhere ) it is often extremely difficult to get any sort of assistance :Smile:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
we have puncture safe in our tyres, cost £40 for all 4 tyres came to the van to apply it,:thumb:

no issues with it whatsoever, got Jim's pressure monitors fitted and check pressures regularly no issues at all.

the idea is that you wont need a puncture repair so no worries about garages not wanting to repiar a tyre with puncturesafe in.

on the other hand, if you use the supplied gunk in your tyres then it is likely that they will not be able to repair a tyre and a new one needed.

i still carry the jack, air pump etc, its a bit belt and bracers... you never know when you might need the use of a jack when theres no one to help.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Puncture

Hi
My Moho had no spare (Rapido 983m) so purchased a spare, and then got a 4 tonne exhaust airbag of Fleabay.
If you get a puncture :cry:.......sod's law, it will be in "the middle of nowhere":Doh:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I suspect the OP might not be familiar with Hildweller's acerbic wit. It's just his way.

Wyn
What was meant was if you are in the wilds of France ( or elsewhere ) it is often extremely difficult to get any sort of assistance :Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

A man who I have never met tells me that my motor home that I love to bits is wasted on me and then you come along and accuse ME of getting out of the wrong side of the bed.

Perhaps Mr Hilldweller would like to respond in person rather than have you tell me what he meant.

Tinca

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
A man who I have never met tells me that my motor home that I love to bits is wasted on me and then you come along and accuse ME of getting out of the wrong side of the bed.

Perhaps Mr Hilldweller would like to respond in person rather than have you tell me what he meant.

Tinca
Lots of people I've never met pick on me. I'm sure it's all in good fun :Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We didn't have a spare on our old van. I didn't realise that until we needed it:Doh:

It's a serious hassle because you have to physically take the wheel to a tyre place for the new tyre or wait hours and hours potentially for a mobile unit to come along.

We were lucky and the AA guy got me to a tyre place about 10 minutes before they closed.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Tinca

What ever mate.. what ever :Doh:

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Changing wheels

Lidl had a whole heap of torque wrenchs' last week, they may still have them as I can't imagine it being everyones "must have item". I got one but I can't remember how much, sorry. They also have a relatively cheap 4t trolley jack.(It may be 2t !! I was sore tempted) however I am going for a bottle jack, a bit lighter ?

I do know it was a fraction of Halfords similar sized one (torque Wrench). There are other threads on veh & mech forum with all the Torqs for steel and alloys.

OP
OP
Tincataylor

Tincataylor

Free Member
Jul 9, 2012
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many thanks to those who have made a positive contribution to this thread.

I already have a small trolley jack that is not much different in weight to the one supplied by Peugeot and I will purchase the necessary socket and T Bar to enable me to shift the wheel nuts..........better safe than sorry.

Tinca

Oct 3, 2012
Hastings
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since Oct 2012
I had a Blowout on a tight bend on Saturday in France, The kit supplied (Jack, Wheel Brace etc) worked ok but I think I will add one of those extendable handle braces as it was a struggle to get the nuts loose, especially as I had a sprained wrist.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
I have to admit,that as you say you are an ex motor mechanic,why are you asking these questions ? Over the years i have been at the mercy of "Fitters",to keep me alive in my speeding lorry,i know it is now the 21st century but they used to change wheels at the drop of a hat,so did i,and the Po*y wheel brace supplied with the lorry was not far of the M n'Ms LOL on the torque wrench,failing that a good guide is to tighten up your nuts(WHEEL) until your knuckles bleed.
Just to give you an example,when putting the heads back on a V6,my mate K.S,sadly no longer with us,adjusted the wobbly bits with a speed brace,when i checked them,they were spot on. Oh for the days of White metal bearings and Engineers Blue:Doh:
Keep the shiny side up and the dirty side down,lighten up,get off down the "Frog and Toad" and don't dismiss the idea of going to La Belle France.Enjoy
Tea Bag.
PS. Until you get a better jack sorted,always put a support under,like your ramps etc,but then again,you will have:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back