LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi all :thumb: I am nearing finishing the boarding in the self build and coming close to choosing the layout :Smile:As things stand I can do any layout with some restrictions because of window positions (already in van) My favored lay out is leaving me with a couple of options-- Bathroom/wet room across the rear moving forward to kitchen area on left using half the door opening and a 6ft 6 ins slide out bed on the right side pulling across to the kitchen units
2nd option is again wet room rear moving forwards to kitchen areas on both sides but having to use both front seats that swivel as part of the 2 single beds that would convert to a 6 ft 6 ins long by 5ft 9 ins double
option 3 is a u shape lounge at rear and classic loo/shower behind drivers seat/mid kitchen but this only gives a double bed that will be 4ft 6 ish by only 5 ft 9 ins wide -fine for the odd night crunched up but from experience too small for longer stays
What do you think ? opinions please :thumb:
thanks terry

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
If it's any help Terry, this is how ours is laid out:

It's similar to the way you describe your plan except that the Shower Room is to the rear / right and you get to keep the full side door opening.

Attachments

• CIMG6159.jpg
    CIMG6159.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 89
  • CIMG6161.jpg
    CIMG6161.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi DeuceBG THANKS- that's more like my option 2 where the bed pulls across --but to the door -- that layout would only give me the narrow 5 ft 9 ins bed -trying to get a 6ft 6 ish bed :winky:
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Are you after achieving a 6'6" long bed Terry?
If so, mine is 6'3" long so not so far short of your target.
I'm 6'4" tall and it's OK for me :thumb:

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Layouts are very personal and I would not want to tell you what is the best layout.
What I do like from your suggestions is a total wet room giving you maximum space when taking a shower. If you drop the sponge. can you pick it up? This maxim I use when choosing a van, many fail this test as some people only use the shower as extra storage. What do you want to do with the area.
The second thought is regarding the front seats. If they do not turn around, when parked up, everything in front of the seats is a dead area. If they do turn around you have added to the usable space in the van and provided two extra guest seats.
Finally, try not to invent the wheel. Many many designers have struggled to create the ideal layout for the last 40+ years and have not got there yet but they have tried, with committees advising them
Alan

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi 6' 3" would be fine -- looking at your pics do you pull the single seat across towards the door to make the bed up? as in my option 2 (longitudinal bed)Obviously the VW is not 6'3" wide :winky:
terry

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When we eventually do ours, we want 2x single beds at the rear, swivel front seats .kitchen bathroom in middle.
We've decided we don't want to bother making up a double, and like the idea of the lounging bit. With telly at the back. Only Thing is we'd need the longer length beds being tall.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
If it's any help Terry, this is how ours is laid out:

It's similar to the way you describe your plan except that the Shower Room is to the rear / right and you get to keep the full side door opening.

Love your interior ! It's fabulous. Who did the re upholstery for you ? The tables a brilliant touch too:thumb: pm me if you don't want to post on line:thumb:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Layouts are very personal and I would not want to tell you what is the best layout.
What I do like from your suggestions is a total wet room giving you maximum space when taking a shower. If you drop the sponge. can you pick it up? This maxim I use when choosing a van, many fail this test as some people only use the shower as extra storage. What do you want to do with the area.
The second thought is regarding the front seats. If they do not turn around, when parked up, everything in front of the seats is a dead area. If they do turn around you have added to the usable space in the van and provided two extra guest seats.
Finally, try not to invent the wheel. Many many designers have struggled to create the ideal layout for the last 40+ years and have not got there yet but they have tried, with committees advising them
Alan

Hi Alan I already have an ideal layout in my ambulance conversion -as such I am trying but failing to get as near to the layout in the new but foot shorter van :Doh: As such I have come up with the layouts I described above in my first post -so need advice/ideas/opinions as to which to go for-yes both seats will swivel to become part of lounging area just as you describe --I think what is needed is the rear seat behind the driver will pull across to the units to make a double or the 2 singles using the front seats --I am thinking more on the pulling across rather than utilizing the seats come bed time :Smile:ideas thoughts?

terry

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Having had a PVC using the front seats as part of the bed, I would recommend avoiding that layout as the seats are never really flat and so not comfortable. The front seats that claim to go flat don't really and that also makes them uncomfortable to sit on.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Having had a PVC using the front seats as part of the bed, I would recommend avoiding that layout as the seats are never really flat and so not comfortable. The front seats that claim to go flat don't really and that also makes them uncomfortable to sit on.
Generally when the front seats are incorporated into the bed it's only the cushion and not the back that's used.
We looked at a Unit with this design and the idea was to put your feet on the front seats whilst sleeping...(or whatever else) in the bed...:thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Hi 6' 3" would be fine -- looking at your pics do you pull the single seat across towards the door to make the bed up? as in my option 2 (longitudinal bed)Obviously the VW is not 6'3" wide :winky:
terry
That's it Terry.
The sofa draws across to form the double bed.
It's wide enough for both of us (and neither of us are petite) and still leaves enough room for the one nearest the sliding door to get in / out of bed without the door having to be open.

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

Generally when the front seats are incorporated into the bed it's only the cushion and not the back that's used.
We looked at a Unit with this design and the idea was to put your feet on the front seats whilst sleeping...(or whatever else) in the bed...:thumb:

that's what I was thinking -just seat squabs - now thinking more of simply pulling side seat over to units
terry

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Love your interior ! It's fabulous. Who did the re upholstery for you ? The tables a brilliant touch too:thumb: pm me if you don't want to post on line:thumb:
Thanks for the comments Ralph.
A local upholsterer in Lincolnshire did the work.
Carlight Caravans are based up the road from me and they use him, along with a number of VW Bay enthusiasts etc.
I've known him for years and he's spot-on IMO.
The table was made for us by someone I found on line.
I can PM you all the contact details if you want them. :thumb:

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
that's what I was thinking -just seat [HI]squabs[/HI] - now thinking more of simply pulling side seat over to units
terry
"Squabs"...That's the word I was looking for...:thumb:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
When we eventually do ours, we want 2x single beds at the rear, swivel front seats .kitchen bathroom in middle.
We've decided we don't want to bother making up a double, and like the idea of the lounging bit. With telly at the back. Only Thing is we'd need the longer length beds being tall.
That sounds a bit like mine. Has two 6' beds in back, that can slide together.

Broken Link Removed

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
That sounds a bit like mine. Has two 6' beds in back, that can slide together.

Broken Link Removed

Similar :thumb:, but we want both seats to swivel.
And I'm 5foot 11, Ralph's a touch smaller:winky:. So we need the beds longer. We are going to have to get the longest wheel base van and some clever space planning.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Nearly :roflmto:

And I'm 5foot 11, Ralph's a touch smaller:winky:. So we need the beds longer. We are going to have to get the longest wheel base van and some clever space planning.
I'm 6' and plenty of room :Smile:

In fact, the bike is 2,045 mm (80.5 in) and fits in OK.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
why not go for toilet/shower across the back, kitchen in middle by door, 6ft bed pull out from window side and seats turn to allow lounging or to extend bed length for taller occupants. dont overcomplicate things that dont need it:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are a couple of extra long wheelbase vans on the market that would make your layout simple to achieve. even a 24ft long iveco which is way longer and wider than other similar panel vans:thumb:

sandrae

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Glastonbury
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Long time
Have a look at the layout of a Murvi Morello or a Murvi Morocco. They fit a 6'4" bed, kitchen and shower room in a LWB Fiat Ducato.

In the Morello the only downside is the shaped settee meaning that the outside of the bed is shorter than the inside. My husband is 6'2" and I am a lot shorter so this works for us. You could dispense with the L shape at the end of the seat and make the kitchen worktop a tad shorter, as Murvi have done with their Morocco.

The best drawing I can find is here Broken Link Removed

We did for a long time consider doing our own conversion along these lines, but age caught up so we ended up buying a ready built one. ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Terry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
why not go for toilet/shower across the back, kitchen in middle by door, 6ft bed pull out from window side and seats turn to allow lounging or to extend bed length for taller occupants. dont overcomplicate things that dont need it:thumb:

That's basically what/probably going to happen --ie option 2

there are a couple of extra long wheelbase vans on the market that would make your layout simple to achieve. even a 24ft long iveco which is way longer and wider than other similar panel vans:thumb:
Unfortunately it's only a MWB one that only gives 11 ft ish after the seats
I know all about my favs Iveco but they too are narrow just like Crafters and sprinters -all 3 narrow followed by masters etc then the widest of the lot fiat stable ones ---This was shall we say not my first choice of van,in fact it would have been one of my last choices ::bigsmile: but it came in at a very good price and straight ish compared to all the battered or very high mileage ones
terry

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
that's what I was thinking -just seat squabs - now thinking more of simply pulling side seat over to units
terry
our last one was like this, loved the large shower area but the bed had to be put away before you could get to the cooker so couldn't have a cup of tea in bed we have a u shape rear lounge that you can.leave as a bed which we find a lot more convenient now

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back