Strip lights on hookup only. Can I use inverter? (1 Viewer)

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Our dethleffs has some great flourescent strip lights which are sort of behind the facia, above the wall units. One in dining area and two in bedroom, really effective but they only run when on hookup.

We have only used hookup twice in the last four months on the road!

I was going to try and rig something up through my little 300w inverter but the two feeds from the mains box are "sockets" - good, I want to include those, and the other is labelled "fridge, charger and lights" and there are only two cables from that part before they dissappear into the floor.
I tried connecting to one but it did the charger and lights so they must be connected at that end. I guess the charger is incorporated into the electroblok.
I also wondered if I feed the 230v sockets from the inverter and tap off the same cable to the light switch am I going pop something?
With basic elec knowledge is this possible, or do I have to see an auto electrician?
Any suggestions or advice please?
We are not back in uk til july and I am itching to have a play before then.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It would be a bit unwise to wire your inverter so that it was powering your charger.
I can't see the sense of having lights that only work on EHU, and if I had them I would remove and replace with LED strips which would run from the leisure batteries.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could be wrong but i think florescent lights will only work properly off a pure sinewave inverter.

To prevent backfeeding the system the feed to the lights would need isolating and directly connecting to the inverter.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Yes I dont want to run the charger!
Hard to get to the lights as behind pelmet. Also wired thru 230v supply. Would take a bit of fiddling about with wiring and switches.

OP
OP
Dazzlin

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
could be wrong but i think florescent lights will only work properly off a pure sinewave inverter.

To prevent backfeeding the system the feed to the lights would need isolating and directly connecting to the inverter.

Thats the problem. Tracking down the light feed and isolating it.
I have a pure sine wave inverter and it worked but knocked hell out of the batteries for the 5 mins it was on as it was running the charger!
I will have to have another look at it.
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
No.
Both switches one side of kitchen, light opposite in diner and in two in bedroom above each bed!

ok. if you can trace the wiring to the switch and disconnect there then wire in the inverter supply to the switch.
Even easier.....the lights are probably on their own 5a breaker at the mains fuse box.
Disconnect from the breaker and move outside the fusebox (you cant have 12vdc and 230vac in the same enclosure) then wire in the inverter to the removed wires.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back