Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes no problem. Wifey users hers on the middle heat setting and probably uses about 1300 at that, any hotter it burns her hair

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
If said hairdrier is less than 1800 watt .. short answer is yes

However, every 1,000 watts will be drawing 84 amps from your battery...

so, lets say it's a 1500 watt drier.. it will be drawing 125amps.. if it's used for lets say 10 mins.. that = 20 ah ..

If your battery is 85ah .. you have a useful capacity of about 45ah , so now it is half empty .. or if you prefer .. half full..

so , what rating is your hair drier (in watts) and what size battery(s) do you have (in AH) ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Not OT hopefully, more a supplementary question:

So apart from high wattage items like hair dryers, leccy kettles and fan heaters, why have an inverter?

Would it not be better to get a 12v adaptor / plug with the correct rating for the appliance (e.g. laptop)?

Steve :Smile:

Last edited:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
In my case, to charge the following:
  • laptop (Apple magsafe connector from the 85W power pack is not a common item on 12v after-market chargers)
  • my Philips shaver (again a non-standard connector)
  • mobile phones (well why not since the inverter is there?)
  • occasionally, to plug in a Wahl hair trimmer if we are away for a few weeks at a time

I have a 150W pure sine wave inverter that I fitted, originally, to run the MacBook Pro and a powered speaker system for watching DVDs. That was before we had a dome and TV fitted.
Now, instead of hunting around for 12V charging adapters with the correct connectors, I can plug in any small 230V item I want to - I don't worry about the inefficiency of the inverter. For the amount it is used, I don't care.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Not OT hopefully, more a supplementary question:

So apart from high wattage items like hair dryers, leccy kettles and fan heaters, why have an inverter?

Would it not be better to get a 12v adaptor / plug with the correct rating for the appliance (e.g. laptop)?

Steve :Smile:

There is no better reason to fit an inverter than to run a hairdryer. My motorhoming life became complete when I could dry my hair and style it in the van. :Blush:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
There is no better reason to fit an inverter than to run a hairdryer. My motorhoming life became complete when I could dry my hair and style it in the van. :Blush:

That will be the impressive hairdo on the left in your avatar picture I presume!
Respect - that must take some inverter power :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only jealous 'cos I haven't got any!

Last edited:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
That will be the impressive hairdo on the left in your avatar picture I presume!

Only jealous 'cos I haven't got any!

:ROFLMAO: no, that night Colin's hair do came out of a box! Where as mine came courtesy of my new inverter, oh and a pink head band. Well it was the Uttoxetor New Year meet, anything goes/went!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not knowing a lot about electrics would a hairdryer run of an 1800 inverter?

The eternal question !

Had Douglas Adams lived that was going to be the next question to be put to Deep Throat.

OP
OP
Bluemooner

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
Thanks for the replies i will have 2 x 110 batteries not sure what the hair dryer uses will check later :thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our hairdryer is1200W on full power. It is a travel type. Power used is fairly quickly replaced by solar in the summer. You don't need a pure sine wave inverter for hairdryer,kettle,toaster,washing machine etc,though they are much cheaper now than they used to be.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We got a small 300w invertor (Aldi) because it would charge both the laptops..............it's hard to get a charger with the correct Dell adaptor.

Also it covers us for any other mains item we may get in the future...........probably a razor or hair trimmer.

My question is does a 300w invertor always use 300 w or is it the wattage of the item plugged in.........................so a 90w laptop only uses 90w.
Thanks

The wattage the item actually uses plus a bit. Your 90W laptop is probably drawing about 60W once the battery is charged, so your inverter will probably draw about 75W.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've an 1800 watt inverter connected to our engine battery, I use it for about 5 minutes to power my 800 watt baby bliss hairstyler, with the engine running unless we are parked up next to someone.

I also charge my electric bike battery on it when travelling.

Best bit of kit in our motorhome, cos a bad hair day will ruin any trip:winky:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

[HI]Only jealous 'cos I haven't got any![/HI]

so it begs the question....why would you plug in a hair clipper if away for a few weeks ? :roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back