Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
last minute decision to go to france for easter, anyone know the best deals at the moment?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Depends where you are looking to cross between .and size of rig
Dover Calaise seems the cheapest with DFDS :Smile:

OP
OP
Inthezone

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I would ideally like to go thurs 17th April late and come back on easter sunday, and it doesnt matter where from or to as I have no plans, unit size is 8.7m long 2.2m high:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Did Le Havre - Portsmouth last night DFDS - 7m MH, 2 passengers + cabin £117 one way - about half the price of Brittany Ferries:thumb:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I'd do some shopping about as Easter is always a busy time with people escaping to Europe so you may find that you won't get a "cheap as chips" price

OP
OP
Inthezone

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
France at Easter

Hi
I got the tunnel in the end probably not the cheapest but wife didnt fancy the ferry so we are going late thursday before good friday, once across I will want to find an Aire to park up until friday morning, any ideas?
Then I havnt a clue where to go :ROFLMAO: as its our first trip over, probably go towards the west, have ordered the all Aires book and some euros:Smile:

any tips would be welcome

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
I got the tunnel in the end probably not the cheapest but wife didnt fancy the ferry so we are going late thursday before good friday, once across [HI]I will want to find an Aire to park up until friday morning, any ideas?[/HI]
Then I havnt a clue where to go :ROFLMAO: as its our first trip over, probably go towards the west, have ordered the all Aires book and some euros:Smile:

citie europe follow signs onto motorway, 1 junction ( about 1 mile ) then off, follow motorhome sign its near the police station and simple walk to the shop:thumb:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Hi
I got the tunnel in the end probably not the cheapest but wife didnt fancy the ferry so we are going late thursday before good friday, once across I will want to find an Aire to park up until friday morning, any ideas?

you essentially have a choice of 3 aires in Calais

the closest to the Tunnel is the one at Cite d'Europe - basically a car park for motorhome use but overnighting is allowed. that would be my preference.

in Calais, there is one right at the harbour entrance (west side - very busy at times as it's likley to be when you get there). the other is the Quai - it's very big and convenient, but pretty soulless. but handy of you just want an overnight crash

from Calais - loads of options for you for things to see. Boulogne is worth a visit, and has some good eating and drinking places.

I'd head to the Baie de Somme as it's just a fab area of nature reserve. there are aires at St Valery and Crotoy (two of them here). Broken Link Removed

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
citie europe follow signs onto motorway, 1 junction ( about 1 mile ) then off, follow motorhome sign its near the police station and simple walk to the shop:thumb:

Yeah, but if you want a pleasent place to stop, even though it's probably the opposite way to where you are going, give gravelines a go 20 mins up the motorway 6 euros 5 minute walk into very nice town and right by the marina, and if you want a meal , Rudys restarunte just across the bridge , auchen and lidl within a mile. In short everything you could want:thumb::thumb::thumb: and if you are into fags , another twenty mins and you are in Belgium , a lot cheaper than France, no need to find a warehouse , same price at any bacca shop.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
Yeah, but if you want a pleasent place to stop, even though it's probably the opposite way to where you are going, give gravelines a go 20 mins up the motorway 6 euros 5 minute walk into very nice town and right by the marina, and if you want a meal , Rudys restarunte just across the bridge , auchen and lidl within a mile. In short everything you could want:thumb::thumb::thumb: and if you are into fags , another twenty mins and you are in Belgium , a lot cheaper than France, no need to find a warehouse , same price at any bacca shop.

to an extent I wouldn't disagree but if the OP is arriving late, keep it simple and stay at the Cite

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
to an extent I wouldn't disagree but this is what the OP wrote

I did say it's probably the wrong way, but we like it that much it's always our first stop wherever we are going in France , easy to get to and from off the motorway.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I did say it's probably the wrong way, but we like it that much it's always our first stop wherever we are going in France , easy to get to and from off the motorway.

LOL - you cross posted after I edited mine as I read that you mentioned about the wrong way after I posted so did a swift edit!! :roflmto:

If I cross late I'd rather find the closest aire and get bedded down asap rather than drive more than needed. don't get me wrong, I like the Gravelines aire but it's just little bit too far for a late crossing for me

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Here is the address for CITE EUROPE, WEST OF CALAIS, SAT NAV COOR,
50.932865 1.811056 OR N50 55.971 E1 48.670 BOULEVARD DU KENT, FREE PARKING NO SVS right by big supermarket and other shops in precinct. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if your heading west this is a beautiful place for a stop lake with boats and watersports lovely walks and an aire overlooking the lake also handy for some of the war museums around the area
les vielles forges sat nav
49.866091, 4.563623
3 /4 hours from calais

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
If your head west from the tunnel then Bologne sur mer is not to far, Le Touquet is nice and little further, then Le Crotoy a little further still, then st vallery sur somme.... about an hour from the tunnel if you use the motorway.

we used le Crotoy as our first and last night aire when we drove to Normandy last year as it's easy to get to and its massive so easy get a spot. Nice little town with lots of restaurants.

what time does your tunnel land in France this would be the deciding factor for me where to stay on the first night.

I did once look at cite Europe but I wasn't to sure, few illegals roaming around made me a little uneasy. Maybe if there had been a few more vans there I might have felt a little easier.

I find this site useful when planing Link Removed

have a good trip

Steve

Last edited:

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'd head to the Baie de Somme as it's just a fab area of nature reserve. there are aires at St Valery and Crotoy (two of them here). Broken Link Removed

I've had a look at this place - but it shuts at 8pm. Any other suggestions for this area in July? We are trying to book our crossing and are trying to decide on whether to travel on Friday evening and park up around 11pm or delay our crossing and arrive on Saturday.

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
I've had a look at this place - but it shuts at 8pm. Any other suggestions for this area in July? We are trying to book our crossing and are trying to decide on whether to travel on Friday evening and park up around 11pm or delay our crossing and arrive on Saturday.

I think that's the aire on the A16 autoroute you're looking at. the Services close but the parking doesn't, we've turned up there quite late and parked but it can be busy. it's only a stopover place when getting off the ferry/train.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I think that's the aire on the A16 autoroute you're looking at. the Services close but the parking doesn't, we've turned up there quite late and parked but it can be busy. it's only a stopover place when getting off the ferry/train.

This is the info that I found: Broken Link Removed

It appears to the opening times for services at the aire on the autoroute - I would be very pleased if it does not close at 8; we're just looking for a place to stay for the night and this would be an ideal location providing that we can arrive around 11pm.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Tunnel - tip - feel free to turn up for your crossing earlier than the ticket time - they'll often offer you an earlier train free or for a nominal payment and if not, be ready to speed off the carpark to the departure points as soon as your 'letter' comes up on the info boards in the parking - if there's still space on the earlier train, they'll probably stick you on it - we've done this numerous times!

Daughter with caravan did the latter because they all wanted the loo so Neil sped round to the departure bit, parked, daughter and 2 kids hopped out and went in the van - then discovered they were moving because they were called through to go onto the earlier train. Several times (with the time difference too) we've actually gone to bed in Belgium before the time we should have crossed !

:thumb:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
This is the info that I found: Broken Link Removed

It appears to the opening times for services at the aire on the autoroute - I would be very pleased if it does not close at 8; we're just looking for a place to stay for the night and this would be an ideal location providing that we can arrive around 11pm.

You can turn up and park at 11pm but the building is closed. There is a dedicated MH/caravan parking past the service building and to the rear of it, it's quiet but may be full by that time but there is plenty of parking in the main car park. If you google it you can see the parking on satellite view.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Obvious innit !!!!

Stay on Marine Parade and catch an early ferry !!:Cool:

You then have all day to meander to your overnight stop away from the hustle and bustle of the Port !:winky:

p.s. If you are using DFDS...DON'T have the fried breakfast !!:Doh::Doh::Doh:

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Tunnel - tip - feel free to turn up for your crossing earlier than the ticket time - they'll often offer you an earlier train free or for a nominal payment and if not, be ready to speed off the carpark to the departure points as soon as your 'letter' comes up on the info boards in the parking - if there's still space on the earlier train, they'll probably stick you on it - we've done this numerous times!

As a youngster I done the mad dash in the car to catch the ferry - it's no fun.

Now with a motorhome I've found that arriving at the terminal the night before and parking up gives me a chance to rest and makes the drive home easier. It takes away all the stress.

Some may point out that this is cutting our holiday short but we only book the train to France as a single and book the return when we are ready to come back.

We just have ensure we can get a crossing within 5 days of giving the dogs their tapeworm treatment - which is easy.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
You can turn up and park at 11pm but the building is closed. There is a dedicated MH/caravan parking past the service building and to the rear of it, it's quiet but may be full by that time but there is plenty of parking in the main car park. If you google it you can see the parking on satellite view.

out of interest, what time does your Shuttle arrive in France??

it's about a 1hr/90min drive to the Baie du Somme depending on how fast you push it and if you want to eat before bedding down, then the restaurant area at the Cite d'Europe is open until 10pm (last orders probably around 9/9.30 for meals)

OP
OP
Inthezone

Inthezone

Free Member
Feb 14, 2014
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Le Shuttle

I went for the 22:20 departure time as I wasnt sure about the traffic on M25 as I am coming from the reading area, I am thinking of the parking at CITE EUROPE, WEST OF CALAIS as Flatpackchicken suggested then we can go to the supermarket in the morning before setting off some where:Smile:

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I went for the 22:20 departure time as I wasnt sure about the traffic on M25 as I am coming from the reading area, I am thinking of the parking at CITE EUROPE, WEST OF CALAIS as Flatpackchicken suggested then we can go to the supermarket in the morning before setting off some where:Smile:

so that means by the time you get to France and offloaded, it will be past midnight local time. so Cite d'Europe is definitely the best choice as it's a 10 min drive away from the terminal. Carrefour opens at 9am - you can walk there from the motorhome parking area in 2 mins.

sorted

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back