Good Hymer Repairer in the South West?? (1 Viewer)

PaulieOfArrod

Free Member
Mar 19, 2014
South West
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
Hi,
I've seen a Hymer B544, which I'm considering buying but it is clear it needs some work. Can anyone recommend a good repairer in Devon, Somerset or Dorset?

I need to get an idea of the likely costs for what is going to need doing..

Thanks

Paul

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
For any serious repairs I would go to Peter Hambilton in Preston - regardless of the distance. Stop over in a nearby hotel, or leave it with him for an extended period if required. In my view he knows more about fixing Hymers than anyone else in the UK.
Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PaulieOfArrod

Free Member
Mar 19, 2014
South West
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
Exp
I think the repairs will include the following..

-Oil change and engine service (timing belt?)
-Frame / chassis corrosion remedied (possible welding and strengthening?)
-Brake pipes replacing

-Power steering pipes replacing

-Unknown suspension component corrosion remedied

-New tyres all round
-Wheel buckle sorting?

Number 1: it's not had a service in 2-3 years and it's done over 60k.
2, 3, +4: These have been shown in advisories in the last two MOTs
5. This was referred to in the last MOT, but (strangely) not the last one, but no repair work on suspension components has been done...

Rear tyres are knackered as mentioned in the MOT and the front are crap too. Front wheel(s) badly unbalanced too...

I'm guessing that if I bought this vehicle, I'm probably looking at spending £3-4k at least getting it sorted. However that is just a guess, so I'd like to get as clear an idea as possible..

It is worth saying as well that it has just passed an MOT..so I'm hoping any corrosion isn't structurally dangerous, and it can be cleaned up and then waxoiled to prevent any further decay..

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I would regard these as repairs to the base vehicle rather than the 'Hymer-bit'. In that case, I would go to a decent independent HGV workshop. I go to one in Banbury but that's a bit far for you. There must be one nearer to you so hopefully another Funster will have some ideas.

By the way, I see you are still in read-only mode. It must be getting near to subscription time to get the best out of the Forum. Good value for money! :thumb:

Upvote 0

Nigel67

Free Member
Jan 26, 2013
Devon/Cornwall border
Funster No
MH
Hymer b544
Exp
since 2003
Hi,
I've seen a Hymer B544, which I'm considering buying but it is clear it needs some work. Can anyone recommend a good repairer in Devon, Somerset or Dorset?

I need to get an idea of the likely costs for what is going to need doing..

Thanks

Paul
Not sure where in Devon you are but I can recommend Tetcott Garage near Holsworthy. A family run business of 30 years+ good service and sensible labour rates.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back