fresh water tank steralise or not (1 Viewer)

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
I usually steralise the fresh water tank and pipes at the start of each season (Feb /march) BUT as I have used the MH most months (at least 1 or 2 weekends) right through the year including Dec / jan & Feb and the water is always getting changed and is only used for washing dishes and showers as carry drinking water
The question is do you think I need to steralise the system (MH will be laid up most of April )

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
If you have been refilling the tank regular I wouldn't bother as you are already putting through water with added chlorine etc, we live in ours full time and never bother sterilising, but I do fill the system with a white vinegar solution a couple of times a year and leave for a good few hours before flushing through, this helps keep the limescale down in the boiler and has the added benefit of cleaning all the pipework as vinegar is a mild antiseptic.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I have done ours twice in seven years. I would not bother unless you are particularly concerned. As long as the system is in frequent use, or has been drained down thoroughly, I think it's OK just to flush the pipes with fresh water before setting off again.
If you do want to sterilise, I would not use Milton or similar; it is not good for the inside of a Truma and may affect pipe and pump seals.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I tend to agree that if used all the time and the tank is being filled with fresh chlorinated water then I wouldn't get anal about doing it if laid up for a month..

However.. and this goes back to tugging days when we tended to lay the van up for the winter I would sterilize at the start of the season.. and have kept up this practice with my motorhomes.. It doesn't take long, and cost next to nothing (I use diluted bleach, but that's another thread)..and gives peace of mind.

It should also be borne in mind.. shower heads can breed and hoard bacteria , particularly Legionnaires disease which can be fatal .. so even if you don't do a full system clean, make sure you do the shower head.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
We have nature pure but I did the Aquastar one two three treatment this month

In future will just add Aquastar three as we use the water for teeth cleaning

Won't do the one and two again

Microchip

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2005
Our previous van was a Hymer B584, ::bigsmile: the fresh water tank was easy to get at and to "see" inside, we always cleaned with purifier at the beginning of each year.

And yet the water level prongs would have a film of green slime on them, I used to clean them and the top side of the tank with a bottle brush and a mild bleach mixture.:Cool:

We also use the nature pure system to save having to carry bottled water.:thumb:

Keith

Chipster

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Getting there!
Yeah. Not cheap. It's pushed as a purifier and not just a filter. In theory wonder if you could draw canal water through it?

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Yeah. Not cheap. It's pushed as a purifier and not just a filter. In theory wonder if you could draw canal water through it?

You can in theory but it would clog up pretty quick?

They also sell a pre-filter for drawing water from "boat side" before the main micro filter

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Whatever you decide to use, never ever put Milton or a similar product in to sterilise it will rot your boiler!!!

Ginny

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
in 10 years of m/h ownership (3 vehicles) I've never sterilised our water system and we use it for drinking. I'm of the opinion that as long as you're having a regular turnover of water, and drain down if you are going to be laid up for a while, there's no need to.

In summer if we're not using the m/h for a month or so I'll drain the tank but not the complete system which I only do in winter to prevent frost damage (having suffered 2 split pipes before from not draining the plumbing I do it now as a matter of course). It's easy enough to refill from a hose.

Not had any issues so far

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I have also never sterilised a water tank.

I did once squeeze loads of lemons into jug, got rid of all the pips n pith and then chucked it in with some water. Travelled around to let it slosh, left overnight then drained out.

Paul.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
fatbudda has the answer!

We wipe dry the tank after each trip, once a year we use a beer bottle sterilizer rinse, (£1 from Wilkies) We drink it, wash in it, clean our teeth in it, and cook in it!
Havn't had any probs as yet!

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
If anything is really needed to be done (as mentioned earlier in the thread) is the shower head. Although I was unable to prove it, I had the most hideous and painful ear infection from a hotel shower head being contaminated or not cleaned properly - the Doctors identified the trouble down to some 'hibernating' bacteria that breeds in/around shower heads that spend a long time not being used. Since then I have been almost paranoid about shower head cleanliness and not have had a problem since.

I use aquasol to clean (shower and whole waterworks) before we go away, supposed not to harm boilers etc.

I would not wish that type of waterborne infection on my worst enemy.

Stay safe,

Trikeman. :winky:

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Had ours now for 3 years and sterilised the tank one a year for the first two years. Used it over the winter quite a bit but drained down between trips. Not sterilised it so far this year and don't plan to at the moment. Regular flow of water through it should be all that is needed. We use it for drinking as well but always carry a couple of 2 litre supermarket bottles of water. This is in case we fill up from a site and the water has an aftertaste. Where we stay the water is really good but as we all know it varies from place to place. Only once had to dump the tank because we had filled up with water that had a really bad aftertaste. Caroline will usually taste test it first now. I don't worry about a taste test as if I can't drink coffee and have to drink beer instead it's just something I have to put up with. Breakfast is fresh orange..........

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just saw this.
To improve the taste of the water in your 'van, tune in at 8.30pm for Andy's advice on The Motorhome Channel – it's broadcast live online and on Sky 212 and Freesat 401

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
We don't drink out of our on board tank but we do use the water for teeth cleaning, I clean and sterilise the water system annually. Just did it last week as it happens, I use the Truma Aquastar treatment and feel confident that it is good.

D.

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Thanks for all the replies think I'll maybe sterlise the system before we go away next

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back