refillable gas bottles from garages (1 Viewer)

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
apparently there is quite a high saving in having the gas bottles that you fill from a garage forecourt...... can you tell me in simple terms please how converting to this works? Does the refillable bottle go in the same place as the existing orange bottle? (I keep seeing posts about can I put them under the van, etc.). How much does it cost to convert and so roughly I can work out if it would be cheaper or not. Is there any chance that in the near future it will be impossible to find garages that provide this gas?

I know some of these questions will probably be stupid but totally confused about it all and looking for money saving ideas. Thank you.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You can have the refillable bottles fitted in the gas locker or have an underslung tank fitted and leave the locker free for other stuff. I think your locker will take two 11Kg Alugas bottles the same as ours.

Prices vary depending on what you want doing and it will be a few hundred. Whether you will recoup that in savings on gas depends on usage but you have the convenience of not having to change bottles and can top up any time, not just when the bottle is empty.

With so many vehicles running on Autogas these days it's unlikely that it will be impossible to obtain it in future.

Have a word with Dave Newell, he'll give you good advice.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
It depends on how much you use the van. You would need to use a lot of gas before it became cost effective. Most have refillable bottles for convenience, to save the trouble abroad changing bottles and regulators.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Good morning Joy,

Others will come in here and talk about the various systems with a great deal more knowledge than I could ever have, but basically there are three ways:

1) refillable "calor" type bottles which you have to exchange which I assume is what you have now. Gas is expensive but that is the only cost assuming you already have bottles

2) A "Gaslow" type system where the bottles are able to be refilled in situ with the required 80% cut off. This requires special bottles and also a refilling point. Gas is same as autogas you see on forecourts but the bottles are pricey to buy and the various hoses and fixed refill adaptor ("plug" in side of van skirting) is also expensive

3) A fixed underslung system. Permanent bottle with refill point as per Gaslow. Once again gas is cheap but buying and fitting is expensive.

Conclusion is that unless you are a very heavy gas user or really like the convenience (I have option 3 and it is brilliant) against the high initial costs then you really are better sticking with the option (1) as over a period of time it is the most economical. Hope that helps a bit. Cheers, David

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
At Newark, I was browsing the WildAx Aurora, and that comes with a refillable lpg as standard - 22 litres which I presume is the equivalent of an 11kg standard bottle ???

My Q is do these tanks have reliable gauges because without a second bottle to switch over to, how do you know when you're about to run out?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The other option of course is a gas refill adapter:hardhat::hardhat::hardhat:
I used one for years until I got a van with a fixed tank.
The bigger advantage for some is that alugas bottles are very light so free up some payload.
Easy to fill up abroad with a refillable bottle providing you have a set of or the correct adapter. LPG is around half the price of an exchange bottle.
It all depends how much gas you use. (Remember if you do get LPG you can ask for the lower rate of VAT 5% instead of 25% [you won't always get it mind, shop assistants cannot do sums so I'm told])

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
No one has mentioned the cost of the gas.. I understand a 13k bottle is around the £23 mark now ( though I really have no idea )

With refillables, the cost of the same amount of gas costs ABOUT £14.90 ( cost depends on garage price as it varies quite a bit )

If you go for a stand alone refillable bottle you can always sell it when you are finished with it, thereby making a considerable saving over the years ( almost £10 per fill, plus not having to drive around to exchange a bottle as there are MANY garages that have LPG pumps nowadays ) plus getting approx 2/3rds of the cost of the bottle back when you sell it second hand at the end of your use, something an awful lot of people seem to miss out on or simple do not consider

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
At Newark, I was browsing the WildAx Aurora, and that comes with a refillable lpg as standard - 22 litres which I presume is the equivalent of an 11kg standard bottle ???

My Q is do these tanks have reliable gauges because without a second bottle to switch over to, how do you know when you're about to run out?

Thanks everyone.

Langto, I don't know the answer but when I was at a show with Maz I am sure she was talking abaout changing the top on hers to one which has a little round thing that shows how much gas is left in the bottle so you need never run out because you fill up as and when you want to. If she sees this thread I am sure she will be able to help you.:thumb::thumb:

Back to original question, when saying can cost 'quite alot of money' can we say roughly how much please?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

[HI]My Q is do these tanks have reliable gauges because without a second bottle to switch over to, how do you know when you're about to run out?[/HI]

The gauges on our Alugas bottles read full (or fullish) until they are half empty at which time the needle drops to half. There is a similar drop when the bottle is nearly empty but when it first reads empty there is (I think) 6 litres left.

As you don't have to wait until the bottle is empty to refill, though, it is normally convenient to top up when you happen to pass a garage selling autogas.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Thanks everyone.

Langto, I don't know the answer but when I was at a show with Maz I am sure she was talking abaout changing the top on hers to one which has a little round thing that shows how much gas is left in the bottle so you need never run out because you fill up as and when you want to. If she sees this thread I am sure she will be able to help you.:thumb::thumb:

Back to original question, when saying can cost 'quite alot of money' can we say roughly how much please?

The bottle will cost you about £170 to fit yourself or someone who can DIY , it's not complicated other than screwing pipes on, little different than connecting your pipe to the bottle you have now, then your gas is about half price:thumb:

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Good point about underslung tanks that if you sell then it goes with the motorhome, best to have refillable bottles then you can remove easy. A lot depends on usage and storage, underslung frees up the gas locker.

So how much gas do you use, how long do you intend keeping the MH, what appliances run on gas and how much storage do you have.

MH's with diesel heating can get away with a small refillable bottle.

Paul.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
As others have said, the refillable option is mainly about convenience rather than cost saving, although if you are a very heavy lpg user, the capital cost will be recovered more quickly. You can improve the return too by getting an account with some lpg suppliers that carries 5% VAT rather than 20%. But for that, you will have to accept some geographical restrictions, since I am not aware of a national supplier that offers that VAT facility.
Why not have a chat to Autogas in Thirsk (sponsored link on the right of MHF and their website contains some useful descriptions about installations) or talk to two respected trade funsters, both of whom offer discounts: Vanbitz in Taunton and Dave Newell in Telford. There may be others but these two spring to mind.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
gasit make an identical system far cheaper £158.58 for an 11kg bottle and filling kit.
http://www.gasit.co.uk/index.php?_a=product&product_id=381

fitting the kit takes up to 2 hours and is easy DIY if you can use a drill a screwdriver and a spanner

Yes that's a good bit cheaper than Gaslow..

but you have to add in filling hose and filter + extra for a white filling point .. makes it £188.93

still a good saving :thumb:

welshgary

Free Member
Sep 28, 2013
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I'm a newbie
Gasit System

Hi I'm a relatively Newbie, but as I intend to travel Europe, was concerned about the various bottles, regulators etc, so opted for a refillable system. I obtained this by courier from Gasit, which was an 11kg & a 6kg bottle, which fit easily into my locker. I have the refill valve in the locker, together with an automatic changeover valve, all hoses, new regulator plus all 3 continental screw in adaptors. I fitted this system myself, only problem was I used PTFE tape on all joints, which I should not have done. The total cost was approx £400, which will take a while to recoup, but it's so easy to top up. Hope this helps.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes that's a good bit cheaper than Gaslow..

but you have to add in filling hose and filter + extra for a white filling point .. makes it £188.93

still a good saving :thumb:

Hacccctttuuullay

There are full Gasit kits available now for £161.
Kit is supplied with the bits needed :thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hacccctttuuullay

There are full Gasit kits available now for £161.
Kit is supplied with the bits needed :thumb:

yes I was are aware of that ..YOUR price is 'in locker' filling.. and without a filter.

mine at £188.93 was for the remote fill point.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    41.2 KB · Views: 16

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Calor prices here

Broken Link Removed

With an average fill from the pump being at least £10 cheaper it won't take as long as people think to recover the costs of a re-fill able system.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Calor prices here

Broken Link Removed

With an average fill from the pump being at least £10 cheaper it won't take as long as people think to recover the costs of a re-fill able system.

Plus you are not penalised for having a small amount, same price per lt never mind how much you have.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The gauges on our Alugas bottles read full (or fullish) until they are half empty at which time the needle drops to half. There is a similar drop when the bottle is nearly empty but when it first reads empty there is (I think) 6 litres left.

As you don't have to wait until the bottle is empty to refill, though, it is normally convenient to top up when you happen to pass a garage selling autogas.

The Alugas bottles (and possibly the others) can have a remote gauge, which I find quite useful. In my gas locker you can only read the fitted gauges if you are a contortionist or have a mirror on a stick. The remote gauges work the same though, read full until half empty and then go down. I have two, one for each bottle.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Gaslow Single Cylinder Refillable System = £243.45 + fitting cost

Broken Link Removed
We have a Gaslow 11kg bottle (Gasit were not around in 2009 when we got ours) so now I'd go Gasit if I ever needed to replace it as it is quite a bit cheaper.

As for an underslung gas tank, the last time we enquired we were told around £770 fitted, to carry the same amount of gas as our 11kg Gaslow, so we couldn't see the point!

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hey Joy ... you're going to the fix-it meet aren't you! :Smile: I wonder if someone fitting the Gasit kit to your van would 'qualify' as a 'fix' .... :winky:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Alugas bottles (and possibly the others) can have a remote gauge, which I find quite useful. In my gas locker you can only read the fitted gauges if you are a contortionist or have a mirror on a stick. The remote gauges work the same though, read full until half empty and then go down. I have two, one for each bottle.

We initially had one bottle fitted and then a second so the two gauges are different. The first one has a gauge which can be read easily and the second the newer (supposedly more accurate) gauge. I do use a "mirror on a stick" to check that one - an old bicycle mirror with broken handlebar fitting ::bigsmile:

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Gas-it.. Brilliant, convenient, simples.... I have a mirror on an telescopic "thingy" and a swivel on the end, a relic from mechanic days.. Available in any motor tool shop for pennies, saves the contortion bit.. Go for it Mo, under £190 and soooo convenient...
PS.. I just swapped my 11Kg 1 bottle kit from the old van to the new one, a bit 'arsewinky' drilling a 70mm hole in all that 'dosh'... but now ready for the "off" next week.. :Smile:
PSS.. I'm sure one of the "Lads" on here will drill the hole for you, takes an hour and a beer to fit !!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back