Free/wild/low cost camp publications for UK? (1 Viewer)

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
G'day.
We are a couple of Ozi travellers on our way to the UK and Ireland this year for 3 months in a 4WD motorhome.

We like to get 'off the beaten track' and are trying to find a publication that will help us find low cost, wild and free camp sites. So far we have not been able to find one.

Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Peter

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi .. and welcome to the site..

You won't find the UK motorhome friendly.. we only have a few 'aires' (motorhome parking with facilities)

ALL land is owned by someone and it is illegal to 'camp' on it without their permission.. if you do so the civil offense of 'trespass' may be committed. This is unlikely but you may be asked to move on by the Police.

I may be biased but the best UK motorhome touring can be found in Scotland.. you will find plenty of wild camping spots, and while still technically illegal , no one will bother you if you are sensible, ie don't turn it into a 'camp site' or outstay your welcome..

This site will help with friendly parking.. compiled and maintained by our very own Graham..

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

Information on 'Off Site Camping' in the UK.

http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/offsite.htm

We also have over 3,000 small sites called CLs (certified locations)
These are small 5 van sites with basic facilities.. ie water and waste dumping, many now have Electric hook up. They are generally in rural locations..
and range in price from about £5 - £15 .. per night.

In order to use you need to join one of the two main clubs.. Link Removed or The Camping and Caravan Club. The CC have the most .. some people join both.

If you ask, many Pub landlords will allow you to park overnight provided of course that you buy a drink and or a meal.. but that can work out more expensive than a CL..

Good luck and enjoy your travels..

PS.
I am not a member of the wild camping forum so cannot say whether it's good value or not..

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
ireland is also very motorhome friendly. if you wildcamp with a bit of thought you can stay almost anywhere. england is just too much hassle, in my opinion.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ireland is also very motorhome friendly. if you wildcamp with a bit of thought you can stay almost anywhere. england is just too much hassle, in my opinion.

yes indeed, never been, so didn't think about it.. :Blush:

one of my 'must visit' places.. :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
yes indeed, never been, so didn't think about it.. :Blush:

one of my 'must visit' places.. :thumb:
Expensive Jim, but humanly friendly as well as MH friendly. Lot's of height barriers at car parks on scenic locations though. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
[HI]Expensive Jim[/HI], but humanly friendly as well as MH friendly. Lot's of height barriers at car parks on scenic locations though. :Sad:

Cheers,

Jock.

probable why I've never been Jock :roflmto:

always felt it was better value to get a Ferry to France... and generally much better weather..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Being free sites there is no incentive for anyone to publish a book. I have wild parked in the UK since the 1960's it is possible, wild "Camping" is not possible, the distinction is nothing, not even a chair is allowed outside of the van and as already said must be with the land owners permission. The CL system is the cheapest option for some of the better areas.
Enjoy your visit, if you are here in august why not join our rally in Ilfracombe. (see the rallies calendar)

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Also

Thanks heaps for that link Momo. Looks like just what we need.
Before I send them 20 pounds, do you use them? Are they any good? How many POIs are there? Are all areas of the UK covered?
Too many questions?

Last year we had 6 months between Germany and Turkey (10 weeks there) and while Turkey was wonderful and easy to free camp, some areas were much harder.
We are anticipating that it will be harder in the UK......?

Cheers,
Peter
We are paid up members of wildcamping for motorhomes & find it quite good. When you download their poi's you'll be amazed at the amount of places. We have them on our Garmin but when using the iPad we open them in google earth so you can see exactly where it is.
Also, last year we went to Ireland so we found "Motorhome Craic". A very good Irish website also with poi's to download. We joined and found a couple of lovely spots in the middle of nowhere using this.
As has already been said, the Irish are more motorhome friendly than our lot.
Hope you have a great time, we're back to Ireland on 10th April, only for a week tho. Then Scotland ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Thanks all for the great responses and suggestions.
I reckon we will find what we need after we check out those links.
Thanks again....

Anyone need info about touring Australia, please get in touch.....

Cheers,
Peter

OP
OP
Peter_n_Margaret

Peter_n_Margaret

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Funster No
MH
"C" class 4WD DIY
Exp
About 20 years
Thanks Catherine.
Not big on English beers, but am happy to practise some more to keep the peace. :Smile:
Maybe a whisky or 3 though. ::bigsmile:
Looking forward to some pub meals.........

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Catherine.
Not big on English beers, but am happy to practise some more to keep the peace. :Smile:
Maybe a whisky or 3 though. ::bigsmile:
[HI]Looking forward to some pub meals.........[/HI]

Cheers,
Peter

Hi Peter.. hope you have a good trip..

re pub meals.. bring your credit card, the prices in some are eye watering ..

Was in a local pub other day , The Anchor Woodbridge .. and noticed the prices.. just an example

Homemade soup of the day, bread and butter....... £5.00

yes.. FIVE GB pounds for a bowl of soup..

My wife and I had a J20 ( fruit juice drink) 20p change from a fiver.. what a rip off some have become ..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back